Week 1 postgame: Burn it all down

mikebpackfan

1 minute ago, BluePacker said:

Absolutely agree that we need Rodgers to play at Rodgers level. That's what the dude gets paid for. Otherwise we'd go with someone cheaper but still capable and plug some of that money into other holes on the team so it is not dependent on one player.

Again, I'm not sure what your argument here is. When a guy who earns 20% of  teams roster salary plays horrible are fans not allowed to give him some of the blame? Green Bay has very clearly prioritized Rodgers when it comes to salary cap, and that comes at the expense of filling other areas. Everyone knows this, and when he plays poorly (like today) it stands out even more. It isn't like he took a Brady discount to build a super team to help spread the load. Both he and GB have been banking on him to play at an elite level.

He didn't do that today. Today, the first game after an off-season that had fans doubting his motivation. I don't get how you are surprised fans are upset at Rodgers... he did nothing today to erase that concern. Will he? Maybe. But not today. 

See this is very much more in line with what is true and isn't what I've knocked as emotional today. He didn't play up to his pay today. I haven't disagreed with that once all day my issue is more about how little anyone around him did to give him more of a chance to be the guy we're paying to play like the MVP.

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

See this is very much more in line with what is true and isn't what I've knocked as emotional today. He didn't play up to his pay today. I haven't disagreed with that once all day my issue is more about how little anyone around him did to give him more of a chance to be the guy we're paying to play like the MVP.

Why do we even need to caveat this though?  Everybody played like crap today.  Rodgers is the best player on this team and the league MVP.  Green Bay literally pushed all their chips in the middle this year so he can have one final shot at a ring in GB.  If he’s going to get the glory when things go right, he deserves some of the blame when things go wrong. 

• Like 2

The biggest problem is while we got our high performers like Devante Adams, Jaire Alexandre, Kenny Clark, David Bakhtiari, the meat and potatoes of our roster is pretty disastrous compared to the rest of the NFL.  We always say "Ohh WOOOOWWW look at the big steps Lucas Patrick took this offseason!"  and then when regular season starts against actual opposition well...........they suck.  We have too many Jags.  I know they cant be all pros, but the journeymen need to be a LOT better than Lowry, Keke, Lancaster, Patrick, Barnes, etc.  

1 minute ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Why do we even need to caveat this though?  Everybody played like crap today.  Rodgers is the best player on this team and the league MVP.  Green Bay literally pushed all their chips in the middle this year so he can have one final shot at a ring in GB.  If he’s going to get the glory when things go right, he deserves some of the blame when things go wrong. 

We need to caveat this because he's who's being singled out. Some will say deservedly so given who he is and what he's paid, but these issues outside of him need to be brought up incase they're still there without him whenever he is gone. There is no reason to believe that removing Rodgers is suddenly going to make this defense stop giving up over 5.5 per play. Or that the issues running the ball we seen today will get better under this current offensive line. I was somebody who was pounding the table hard for Linsley after last year because I understood how important interior line play was to this offense under MLF as a whole. Today we got our first taste in the downgrade from elite to merely average we seen today. These issues are not going away regardless of if 12 or 10 is taking snaps, and I'll be here saying the exact same thing next season when it happens again as well.

Just now, hitnhope said:

Meanwhile Gute gets a free pass when he bears responsibility for a roster that looked badly outclassed.

He stood pat with a defense that is nowhere close to being a quality unit.   His moves in the trenches failed miserably in its first test.

Bingo.........  And thats the thing I will point out before it is cool.  

And this is the real story, we built up our interior line, and it didn't make the cut against the Saints. We have to go back to the tape to see if that was a situational or an endemic issue, but the interior o-line was **** (so was the d-line, but we have built a roster around that fact). Not sure how to fix this problem, but hopefully the rooks get it together by the playoffs (which is also, I'm assuming why we are using Patrick as a make-weight). Runyan and co might have something to say, but Rodgers is not Rodgers without that comfort blanket.

Edited by oldmansmell
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

Absolutely agree that we need Rodgers to play at Rodgers level. That's what the dude gets paid for. Otherwise we'd go with someone cheaper but still capable and plug some of that money into other holes on the team so it is not dependent on one player.

This.

If I had a nickel for every time I've read some version of Rodgers-excusing that rhymes with "well, we shouldn't need to have him play THAT well every game!" But, very literally, we do, because that's how the salary cap works.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldmansmell said:

And this is the real story, we built up our interior line, and it didn't make the cut against the Saints. We have to go back to the tape to see if that was a situational or an endemic issue, but the interior o-line was **** (so was the d-line, but we have built a roster around that fact). Not sure how to fix this problem, but hopefully the rooks get it together by the playoffs (which is also, I'm assuming why we are using Patrick as a make-weight). Runyan and co might have something to say, but Rodgers is not Rodgers without that comfort blanket.

It's simple really. You had 2 elite all pro players between Jenkins at LG and Linsley at C last year. This year because of Bakhs injury you have zero. We felt that today heavily.

Edited by Rodjahs12
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, oldmansmell said:

I think the staff did a tremendously poor job of readying the team for 2 rookies and Patrick against the Saints DL in week 1. Knowing you're facing that team week 1, you HAVE to get some quality reps with those 3 before that game, with the entire starting offense.

They didn't even come close to doing that.

MM would be stubborn and not learn from this and keep doing the same thing.

We will see how MLF addresses the pre-season next year (although it will probably look very different than this offseason w/ Love instead of Rodgers)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Like which players are you speaking about?

The rookie IOL players?

The IOL playing LT?

The RB they re-signed this offseason?

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Like which players are you speaking about?

The rookie IOL players?

The IOL playing LT?

The RB they re-signed this offseason?

The interior offensive line as I've been touching on the last 30 minutes or so was completely awful and the starkest contrast from what we enjoyed last year to what we enjoyed today. The RBs suffered and the passing game suffered because of it.