Week 1 postgame: Burn it all down

mikebpackfan

19 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

The interior offensive line as I've been touching on the last 30 minutes or so was completely awful and the starkest contrast from what we enjoyed last year to what we enjoyed today. The RBs suffered and the passing game suffered because of it. 

See, I think this is what people are having an issue with - it isn't a direct causation argument. We've seen Rodgers do more with worse o-line performances. Even when he had plenty of time he was off today.

Rodgers sucked. Parts of the o-line sucked. Difference to me is that part of the line is young/new, whereas Rodgers is not. I'd expect more from Rodgers, and he didn't provide today. A large chunk of fans are already bitter towards him thanks to the off season, so it isn't surprising that he becomes the focus after arguably his worst game.

I doubt any sane fan seriously thinks he is solely to blame for today. But I'd also doubt that any true fan of football is ready to excuse him from a large chunk of said blame given his past level of play vs what he put out there today. That's why he makes the big bucks people.

Edited by BluePacker
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BluePacker said:

See, I think this is what people are having an issue with - it isn't a direct causation argument. We've seen Rodgers do more with worse o-line performances. Even when he had plenty of time he was off today.

Rodgers sucked. Parts of the o-line sucked. Difference to me is that part of the line is young/new, whereas Rodgers is not. I'd expect more from Rodgers, and he didn't provide today. A large chunk of fans are already bitter towards him thanks to the off season, so it isn't surprising that he becomes the focus after arguably his worst game.

I doubt any sane fan seriously thinks he is solely to blame for today. But I'd also doubt that any true fan of football is ready to excuse him from a large chunk of said blame given his past level of play vs what he put out there today. That's why he makes the big bucks people.

The truth is Rodgers is a much MUCH better player behind a line he has confidence in. When he is able to sit back in and get dialed in we see, well what we seen last year from him. When he's worried about things developing some of those bad habits come back and his eyes drop down which leads to some of these bad sacks we knock him for and worse the turnovers he has made a career out of being a master of avoiding. He is a guy who absolutely feeds off of what he has in front of him, and right now this line is not going to help him be the guy anyone wants him to be to forget what it is they don't like about him.

Just now, Rodjahs12 said:

The truth is Rodgers is a much MUCH better player behind a line he has confidence in. When he is able to sit back in and get dialed in we see, well what we seen last year from him. When he's worried about things developing some of those bad habits come back and his eyes drop down which leads to some of these bad sacks we knock him for and worse the turnovers he has made a career out of being a master of avoiding. He is a guy who absolutely feeds off of what he has in front of him, and right now this line is not going to help him be the guy anyone wants him to be to forget what it is they don't like about him.

Aren't all QBs better behind good offensive lines vs behind poor ones? 😀 

An MVP QB elevates the players around him to play better and can shoulder a lot of the play on themselves. Are you able to tell me that happened today with Rodgers? Because I didn't see that. Nobody saw that. 

Am I ready to can him? Nope. But I think some of the blame for today's loss can be found at his feet, and as the reigning MVP more blame than just your average QB. Again, I'm also very interested to see how he responds - to me that is going to show where he is at mentally this year. 

1 minute ago, BluePacker said:

Aren't all QBs better behind good offensive lines vs behind poor ones? 😀 

An MVP QB elevates the players around him to play better and can shoulder a lot of the play on themselves. Are you able to tell me that happened today with Rodgers? Because I didn't see that. Nobody saw that. 

Am I ready to can him? Nope. But I think some of the blame for today's loss can be found at his feet, and as the reigning MVP more blame than just your average QB. Again, I'm also very interested to see how he responds - to me that is going to show where he is at mentally this year. 

I wouldn't have a problem with anyone knocking him for needing a great offensive line to be the player we expect him to be. A QB is expected to help mitigate that when he doesn't have the benefit of elite talent in front of him the way Brady and Brees did for decades. Rodgers just isn't that guy though. He's more of a rhythm player at the position than just about anyone else in the league. 

5 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I wouldn't have a problem with anyone knocking him for needing a great offensive line to be the player we expect him to be. A QB is expected to help mitigate that when he doesn't have the benefit of elite talent in front of him the way Brady and Brees did for decades. Rodgers just isn't that guy though. He's more of a rhythm player at the position than just about anyone else in the league. 

I don't know that I've ever heard him described as being more of a rhythm player than just about anyone else in the league...  😆

4 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

I don't know that I've ever heard him described as being more of a rhythm player than just about anyone else in the league...  😆

At the QB position I don't think it's a ludicrous statement at all. Aaron has shown time and time again over his career that if he doesn't get going early on in a game it isn't likely that it's all of a sudden just going to turn on in between drives. 2019 was a year where we dealt with that very well, when we don't deal with that well you get games like today.

12 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

At the QB position I don't think it's a ludicrous statement at all. Aaron has shown time and time again over his career that if he doesn't get going early on in a game it isn't likely that it's all of a sudden just going to turn on in between drives. 2019 was a year where we dealt with that very well, when we don't deal with that well you get games like today.

Agree to disagree I guess! It will be a long week full of questions. Hopefully we get a better result next week and can hide the elephant in room for a bit longer. 

It would be interesting to see all of these examples of Rodgers elevating a bad offensive line to a higher level than what you’d expect from a bad line I have been the guy in here trying to pour cool water on the heat he’s gotten all day but I will be the first to admit that he crumbles when he isn’t well protected. 

5 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

It would be interesting to see all of these examples of Rodgers elevating a bad offensive line to a higher level than what you’d expect from a bad line I have been the guy in here trying to pour cool water on the heat he’s gotten all day but I will be the first to admit that he crumbles when he isn’t well protected. 

I would say not always crumbles, but we have all seen him abandon any kind of scheme and try to make things happen. The thing is, he has produced some magic as well as escaped with some Houdini slipperiness to make an off balance throw look like a work of art. He can’t rely on that and has seemed to be bought in with LaFluer’s offense which should take some of the need for heroics out of the equation.  Today that offense was outplayed and out schemed. Credit to NO for bringing the heat but we were objectively bad even against a quality opponent. We have started fast the past few years, but remember some of those wins were razor thin. Game one down with a lot of work to do before Monday night. 

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That doggone offensive line...

Just why overthrow it here? Why not throw it more inside where Mvs is more likely to contest for it?  I get he might of thought the saftey could of undercut it but it's not going to hit MVS either. It really was basically a punt. Also Lewis comes open too. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd

Just now, Leader said:

Gee. Who could have guessed that a recap thread about a single loss would turn into an in depth psychoanalysis of Rodgers. My goodness.

As noted before, any loss or off day will be put under the microscope. Always will be for any QB, but after the off season soap opera, he has intensified the focus on himself and the front office. I think he’ll respond well as he always has when people doubt him. (Well on the field, I have no idea what dark corners of his psyche he goes into)