My Musings on the "First Game of the Season"

Thaiphoon

So I might do a few musings for each game I go to this year. I'm only going to one more game (Chiefs) as the other games' tickets were spoken for.

Here goes in my "old man yells at clouds" rambling:

1) Our area of tailgate had exactly TWO port-o-johns and none of them had sanitizer in them. It's the first game of the season (this refrain will come up repeatedly in my rant). It was 10am...of the first game of the season...how do the port-a-john's not have full sanitizer at that point??

2) Going to paperless tickets sucks. Some people collect the tickets as memorabilia (all digital sucks - this will be another refrain in my rant)

3) Going cash-less to all electronic sales sucks. Especially when the card readers malfunction and have to be rebooted (this happened multiple times and delayed the lines inside the stadium and the vendors in the stands). It's the first game of the season. Why are these readers not working properly?

4) My buddy that goes with me gets a season pin each year (he collects them). We walked in to the store inside the stadium at 11:40am...in Week 1...and they had none.

It's the first game of the season. Why are they not stocked up?

5) I ordered a large Pepsi so I could mix it with some other beverage we had (shhh). 

"I'm sorry sir. We don't have large cups. We only have medium."

This was before the game started when people were just streaming in.

It's the first game of the season? Why the hell do they not have things stocked up at this point???

To the game

6) Defense played the grand style of Ole! defense for most of the 1Q and I wasn't too impressed by much. We turned it around in the 2Q and 3Q but then we gave it away at the end.

7) The offense moved MUCH better with Heinecke. But that was because they didn't game plan for him. We'll have to see what happens when an opposing defense has a whole week to prepare.

8 ) Watched Apke "gun". Got down on one punt IIRC. The rest of the time he was a non-factor. So glad we kept him.

9) I watched our secondary cover the entire time. Stuff you didn't see on TV. Juste got burned repeatedly. McCain (at least I think it was him in #20) was not that great and got away with a ton of penalties. Fuller should be moved back to outside and a decent slot corner signed to play (spare me the he was great the last time he played slot for us. He flat out sucked today). The only DBs that stood out to me were Jackson and Curl. 

10) Apparently the recent laws in DC about some controlled substances led to some people bringing them to the stands near me. 

11) Apparently a sewage pipe broke 

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2021/09/12/pipe-bursts-fedex-field-possibly-spilling-sewage-on-washington-football-fans-during-season-opener/

12) McLaurin looked great. Gibson - outside of the game killing fumble - did as well.

13) Coaches got outcoached. This game is on them as much as it was on the players.

14) Hey - that guy Keenan Allen. Anyone ever heard of him? Guess our coaches hadn't. Man is that guy gonna have a great career in the NFL. Maybe we should've covered him? But since he was a huge unknown talent, I guess we can't blame our coaches for not scheming to keep him from getting the ball. This may have been his coming out game as a pro (*)

That is all for now. Overall, from the parking lot, to the stadium, to the product on the field...NO ONE in this organization was ready for Week 1.

(*) I almost choked on my tongue as I placed it firmly in my cheek.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

2) Going to paperless tickets sucks. Some people collect the tickets as memorabilia (all digital sucks - this will be another refrain in my rant)

3) Going cash-less to all electronic sales sucks. Especially when the card readers malfunction and have to be rebooted (this happened multiple times and delayed the lines inside the stadium and the vendors in the stands). It's the first game of the season. Why are these readers not working properly?

The paperless/e-sales thing is a COVID measure (no need to exchange bills). The readers fail all the time.

The rest of the supplies angle? I got no idea. That's just chintzy.

To the game

6) Defense played the grand style of Ole! defense for most of the 1Q and I wasn't too impressed by much. We turned it around in the 2Q and 3Q but then we gave it away at the end.

And this is where I have to look back on my comment in the GDT. They did do better in the mid game, so someone adjusted. Somewhat.

Still, there were too many times when they just failed to cover receivers.

7) The offense moved MUCH better with Heinecke. But that was because they didn't game plan for him. We'll have to see what happens when an opposing defense has a whole week to prepare.

135.png

Since Washington plays the Giants on Thursday, they only have half a week to prepare!

Dun dun DUNNNNNNNN!

8 ) Watched Apke "gun". Got down on one punt IIRC. The rest of the time he was a non-factor. So glad we kept him.

Only time I heard his name mentioned was when he was drawn offsides.

12) McLaurin looked great. Gibson - outside of the game killing fumble - did as well.

13) Coaches got outcoached. This game is on them as much as it was on the players.

I agree with McLaurin and Gibson comments. I put the loss more on the coaches' shoulders.

14) Hey - that guy Keenan Allen. Anyone ever heard of him? Guess our coaches hadn't. Man is that guy gonna have a great career in the NFL. Maybe we should've covered him? But since he was a huge unknown talent, I guess we can't blame our coaches for not scheming to keep him from getting the ball. This may have been his coming out game as a pro (*)

And there was that other guy too ... Mike Williams? Some sort of UDFA, I guess?

That is all for now. Overall, from the parking lot, to the stadium, to the product on the field...NO ONE in this organization was ready for Week 1.

Well, give Heinicke credit for showing up when his name was called on short notice (the incredibly wounded duck pass that McLaurin managed to pull in notwithstanding). But yeah, it doesn't look good.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Not looking good for Jason Wright w/ all those stadium issues. I’m guessing that’s part of his area.

The piping I'm not sure Jason Wright can be responsible. However, the rest of the complaints from Thai? Yeah that definitely is his responsibility.

Some day, we can be fans of a competently run sports organization.
Some day.

• Like 2

1.) Starting QB hurt, replaced by a backup, out indefinitely 

2.) Defense giving up a ton on third downs 

3.) Coaches getting out coached 

4.) Giving up a fourth quarter lead

I am shocked that no one has started the 2022 Draft thread yet.  

Probably the best place to put this, but I’m still around.  I was checking in a bit since the draft and just haven’t had time to post.  I’m hoping that will change, but if not, Webby will need to get my notice.  Everything is good, but I’ve been on a huge journey since Covid- I’ve lost over 200 pounds- and made quite a few lifestyle changes, and one of those is that I am on screens and devices much less than before.  Sadly, that means less time for FF, and a few other forums, which has been a hobby of mine going back to 2004-ish, and including owning and running my own.  Also, work got crazy over the summer as I assumed multiple responsibilities, and just as I was ready to start giving those out, I am taking over another role for someone leaving in our organization. 

I did re-up my tickets so I will be at each home game.  Hopefully the on-field and off-field game day product can improve.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Woz said:

The paperless/e-sales thing is a COVID measure (no need to exchange bills). The readers fail all the time.

The rest of the supplies angle? I got no idea. That's just chintzy.

And this is where I have to look back on my comment in the GDT. They did do better in the mid game, so someone adjusted. Somewhat.

Still, there were too many times when they just failed to cover receivers.

135.png

Since Washington plays the Giants on Thursday, they only have half a week to prepare!

Dun dun DUNNNNNNNN!

Only time I heard his name mentioned was when he was drawn offsides.

I agree with McLaurin and Gibson comments. I put the loss more on the coaches' shoulders.

And there was that other guy too ... Mike Williams? Some sort of UDFA, I guess?

Well, give Heinicke credit for showing up when his name was called on short notice (the incredibly wounded duck pass that McLaurin managed to pull in notwithstanding). But yeah, it doesn't look good.

The piping I'm not sure Jason Wright can be responsible. However, the rest of the complaints from Thai? Yeah that definitely is his responsibility.

Some day, we can be fans of a competently run sports organization.
Some day.

At the Navy/Air Force game yesterday, the network was struggling to keep up due to the amount of people on it, especially once the march-on occurred.  Every vendor was struggling except my team, as we were prepared and were taking cash and card despite Sodexo and Navy advertising cashless.  

As to the rest of the supplies angle, sure, it’s chintzy.  I am wondering what lot he was in, because I am in one of the purple ones and we had four in my area.  That is probably one of the gameday measures where they are cutting back to save themselves a bit of money.  Despite coming off a division championship, there were less people at the game then I expected.  

• Like 1

Almost forgot this in my "old man shakes fist at clouds" rant

15) the new "dance team"/whatever the heck it us that replaced the cheerleaders and the band?

An abomination. 

I was literally bored 2 seconds after they started each time. 

Like seriously, it was pathetic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Almost forgot this in my "old man shakes fist at clouds" rant

15) the new "dance team"/whatever the heck it us that replaced the cheerleaders and the band?

An abomination. 

I was literally bored 2 seconds after they started each time. 

Like seriously, it was pathetic

Agreed. They’re just not that good or exciting, I want the entire band back. The cheerleaders I can do without tbh but I want the band back.

20 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Give it until Friday.

11 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Absolutely shocked to hear FedEx isn’t a good game day experience. 

Also, did you know? Water is WET, Jeezy! IT'S WET!!!

On 9/13/2021 at 1:00 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

Honestly, the “2022 QBs” thread basically is the draft thread. Lord, what else could we possibly even spend much time thinking about using a draft pick on?

“Well, we could take a QB — but I really like this WLB and this RG, I think that’s the value for us!”

Sadly, that’s probably where it will end up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

Honestly, the “2022 QBs” thread basically is the draft thread. Lord, what else could we possibly even spend much time thinking about using a draft pick on?

“Well, we could take a QB — but I really like this WLB and this RG, I think that’s the value for us!”

Sadly, that’s probably where it will end up.

If they don’t pick a QB, next season will be the end of the Rivera regime. 

• Like 1