Week 8: Dallas Cowboys @ Washington Redskins

Ghostnote

arianny-celeste-bikini-bondi-beach-in-sydney-06.jpg

Its Dallas Week. Its a critical game. Both Teams are 3-3 and both need a win to stay in the hunt. 

The Cowboys will have Zeke Elliott, unfortunately, because he has spent nearly all his paychecks on legal fees to escape his 6 game suspension. Frankly, he has not looked the same and maybe that is more because he is not able to prepare for th week cause he has no idea if he is going to play or not? I don't know, but this Cowboys team is not like last season. 

Dak has looked marginal at times, unless its against the Niners. I cant necessarily say that he is regressing or its a sophomore slump, but the Cowboys have just not looked the same.  

Washington on the other hand, has dealt with so many injuries which has created a lot of thin depth in key areas for the roster. Trent Williams, God Bless Him, needs surgery in the off season but is playing through pain to protect Kirk Cousins and be a true warrior on the field. That is what we like to see out of our leaders on the team. Norman being hurt, Breeland being week to week, Reed consistently at 85-90% health, Robert Kelley with his knee, Morgan Moses going down a couple of times, John Allen and his Lisfranc injury, Doctson being game time decisions, Scherff and his knee, Deshazor Everett is banged up, and of course the freakin Kicker, Dustin Hopkins is laboring a hip issue. 

Having that many injuries with very little quality depth on the chart makes for a rough going just about every time for every game. 

Josh Norman looks to come back for the Dallas game, and I hope he does, but I hope that its at close to 100%. I love to see him angry about not playing. 

This team is in much better shape if you avoid the injuries, but that is the nature of the game. 

Prescott is also the 3rd QB we have faced in a row that is a mobile QB and can extend plays. Not to mention that Russell Wilson is on the horizon. 

BGUS_836825_013-1496433478-373x560.jpg

Keys to Victory:

Avoid injuries. I know, they are unavoidable, but whatever superstitions they need to do ahead of time, do it. Kill a chicken, drink some blood, whatever they believe in prior to taking the field, take that to heart and do it. Escaping this game with no injuruies would be a moral victory but winning the game becomes more probable if we can stay healthy. 

Arianny-Celeste-Burger-IG.png

Commitment to the Run. I understand that there has been a renewed ommmitment ot the run, but that soesn't mean much when you're RB's suck. And yes, they suck. Kelley was undrafted for a reason. Perine played well out of the gun, but there needs to be more patience from him and I don't see him any vision. Mack Brown has shown flashes, but he doesnt get any opportunity to get into a rhythm and Chris Thompson is as good as they get in terms of screens, and pass protection. Adding him for a change of pace heops the offense as well. 

Arianny-Celeste-Banner.jpg

Dump Terrelle Pryor. Frankly, I am not seeing what the hype was all about from him in Cleveland. My opinion is that he was ignored a lot and was able to gain his statistics during a lot of garbage time considering the Browns were the worst team in the league in 2017. I don't see him making his bonuses to his contract. He has 1 TD in the last 7 games. Time to keep him on the sideline and let Doctson and Grant be the starters with Crowder in the slot. 

CMK15SrWEAALkOL.jpg

Contain Zeke and Dak. What this ultimately means is recognizing the formations and playing the run or pass effectively. Collapse the pocket while gaining leverage to prevent wide lanes to step up and run through. Spy on Zeke with Brown and let him follow him all day long. Part of the containment of these two is the ability in the secondary to stay with you man in coverage. That is a tough assignment, but the only real threat is Bryant and Breeland or Norman can usually handle him. 

Arianny-Celeste-11.jpg

Red Zone Conversions. There has to be better play calling in the red zone that attacks the weakness of the Cowboys defense. Their defensive line or their secondary over the middle. Avoid being cute and trying to run a fade, bubble screens, or stupid plays. Quick slants in man coverage, Jordan Reed over the middle, RB dives or read option, Play action with Reed or Davis, anything to essentially not be predictable. 

13_misc_004.jpg

Control the Clock. Controlling the clock allows their weak defense to be on the field longer keeps the Cowboys offense off the field and presents a difficulty of geting into rhythm. The Cowboys are a rhythm offense predicated on the run first play calling which fuels a majority of their offense. Keep it off the field and cold, they will not be able to get anything started in the long run. 

Summary: 

This game is important in the sense that it is not a critical must win, or is it? The Redskins are up against one of the worst schedules remaining and with the amount of injuries that have hit the team, the schedule becomes that much tougher. Executing the keys to victory above doesn't exactly guarantee a win, but it increases the odds of winning substantially. The running game is not doing what it should, setting up the pass. Primarily the running game has been non existent besides Chris Thompson. But starting him and running him 20 times a game doesn't bode well for his frame and he needs to be used strategically. This game is at home, but that really doesn't mean a lot considering it is FedEx. It is the east side of the beltway. It may be the Cowboys, but the best view is the one from my couch, watching My DVR so I don't have to listen to Troy Aikman and his homerism, or Tony Romo. I am glad that Phil Simms is gone so I don't have to listen to that piece of crap. Why spend $10 for a beer in a hard seat watching a mediocre injury riddled team play the Cowboys, when I can sit in my underwear on my couch and have a $2 beer scratchin my butt and pickin my nose. 

Prediction: YES PLEASE

DAUJb52UIAAV_kb.jpg

46 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

It's gonna rain and the cowboys have a good running game .

that being said we should win the cowboys D isn't that great and Norman back so the D plays enough to win.

23-20 redskins

Cowboys have a good pass rush (DeMarcus Lawrence has 9.5 sacks) and they still have Sean Lee. Our OL is banged up, of course it was vs the eagles and we still found success in the passing game. With the weather being bad its a big disadvantage for us and a big advantage for them. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we lose in a close one like week 2 of last year. 

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Cowboys have a good pass rush (DeMarcus Lawrence has 9.5 sacks) and they still have Sean Lee. Our OL is banged up, of course it was vs the eagles and we still found success in the passing game. With the weather being bad its a big disadvantage for us and a big advantage for them. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we lose in a close one like week 2 of last year. 

Our ol was fine against philly even with the injuries it was the D and the questionable play call of not running the ball enough is what killed us . The Dallas D is inferior to philly .

if we lose it's because of our defense point blank .

1 hour ago, Dashing202 said:

Our ol was fine against philly even with the injuries it was the D and the questionable play call of not running the ball enough is what killed us . The Dallas D is inferior to philly .

if we lose it's because of our defense point blank .

The reason we lost is because of big plays given up by our defense - mostly by Swearinger in coverage. We were playing man most of the night and playing well - especially our corners - then we called quarters coverage, Swearinger had the deep right quarter, for some reason he peaked at the deep cross and got caught flat footed against Hollins and couldn’t catch up. Then, there was Brown sacking the running back Smallwood and not Wentz on his Houdini play which allowed another big play. 

Totally agree about not running the ball after we built the lead. The running game always helps us build the lead in the first half. Then, after the first quarter of each of our losses Jay has gone away from it and when we don’t have that balance and Kirk throws it more than 30 times. The Redskins need balance in their offensive playcalling. When they get it, they win, when they don’t, they lose.

Foster gets beat by Ertz here, but as Mark points out, Nicholson jumped the crosser and souls have stayed deep. If Nicholson stays where he was, Wentz doesn’t go to Ertz.

Then, we had Kerrigan drop into coverage on this play for some dumb reason. 

Archived