Week 8: Dallas Cowboys @ Washington Redskins

Ghostnote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/27/washington-rules-out-two-ol-lists-two-others-as-questionable/

Injury Updates :

Out

Spencer Long(knee/knee)

Ty Nsekhe (core muscle) 

Questionable

Brandon Scherff (knee/back)

Trent Williams (knee)

Morgan Moses (ankle/ankle)

Tyler Catalina (concussion)

Chase Roullier will start at center for Long. They newly acquired Tony Bergstrom will be his backup.

“The plan would be Catalina at guard [if Scherff can’t play], if [Catalina] can go,” coach Jay Gruden said, via quotes distributed by the team. “We have T.J. [Clemmings]. He’ll be playing tackle if Trent can’t go, but if Trent can go, we could also play him at guard. So we’ve been putting guys all over the joint here, as of late. We’ll find somebody in there.”

10 players as questionable

Preston Smith (groin)

Deshazor Everett (hamstring)

Stefan McClure (knee/hamstring)

Fabian Moreau (hamstring)

Josh Norman (rib)

Bashaud Breeland (knee)

Injured Reserve 

Mason Foster (shoulder)

On 10/27/2017 at 5:27 AM, turtle28 said:

The reason we lost is because of big plays given up by our defense - mostly by Swearinger in coverage. We were playing man most of the night and playing well - especially our corners - then we called quarters coverage, Swearinger had the deep right quarter, for some reason he peaked at the deep cross and got caught flat footed against Hollins and couldn’t catch up. Then, there was Brown sacking the running back Smallwood and not Wentz on his Houdini play which allowed another big play. 

Totally agree about not running the ball after we built the lead. The running game always helps us build the lead in the first half. Then, after the first quarter of each of our losses Jay has gone away from it and when we don’t have that balance and Kirk throws it more than 30 times. The Redskins need balance in their offensive playcalling. When they get it, they win, when they don’t, they lose.

Foster gets beat by Ertz here, but as Mark points out, Nicholson jumped the crosser and souls have stayed deep. If Nicholson stays where he was, Wentz doesn’t go to Ertz.

Then, we had Kerrigan drop into coverage on this play for some dumb reason. 

Will win but we need to throw deep a few times . Run the ball throw a few play actions and when where at the 50 u take a shot downfield .

No question we have lots of injuries. But some of these guys aren’t that good when they are healthy

we will miss Trent, scherff and foster. Wish ncheske was healthy 

Looking forward to watching this game and seeing the young pups play. Yes we will miss Trent and The Sherrif who may play but not at full strength. Let’s see how Chase does at center as Long is at best ordinary. Let’s see if he’s better than Long now. 

I like Catalina at guard or tackle. Yes Moses is an above average pass blocker but a below average run blocker. You want your RT to be at least a average run blocker and Catalina seems like that guy right now 

mason hurts but let’s see Spaight get more PT. Interested in seeing him cover the TE. 

I’d also like to see Sprinkle get lots more time at TE especially on run plays as our TE are terrible blockers 

I see us losing this game not because of offense but because Dallas will run and control the clock and wear out our DL. 

But there is hope because the only coach more pass happy than gruden is the Dallas guy. If he doesn’t run 60% of the time he could give the game to us 

I expect the game will be a Dallas home game as good tickets can be had for 40 bucks. This shows how season ticket holders have already cash out on this team 

48 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

No question we have lots of injuries. But some of these guys aren’t that good when they are healthy

we will miss Trent, scherff and foster. Wish ncheske was healthy 

Looking forward to watching this game and seeing the young pups play. Yes we will miss Trent and The Sherrif who may play but not at full strength. Let’s see how Chase does at center as Long is at best ordinary. Let’s see if he’s better than Long now. 

I like Catalina at guard or tackle. Yes Moses is an above average pass blocker but a below average run blocker. You want your RT to be at least a average run blocker and Catalina seems like that guy right now 

mason hurts but let’s see Spaight get more PT. Interested in seeing him cover the TE. 

I’d also like to see Sprinkle get lots more time at TE especially on run plays as our TE are terrible blockers 

I see us losing this game not because of offense but because Dallas will run and control the clock and wear out our DL. 

But there is hope because the only coach more pass happy than gruden is the Dallas guy. If he doesn’t run 60% of the time he could give the game to us 

I expect the game will be a Dallas home game as good tickets can be had for 40 bucks. This shows how season ticket holders have already cash out on this team 

I hope Norman is back, that will be a boost. Losing foster will hurt, anytime you lose your starting center it hurts, but I am looking forward to seeing what Roullier can do. I'm not looking forward to Catalina playing, that would mean that Scherff can't go.

Scary as hell! If Kirk can deliver a win for the Redskins today he deserves the nfl MVP. I heard that Nsekhe is close to being back, I hope he’s ready to go next week at LT. I hope Rouillier plays well also, if he does it could make for an interesting decision on re-signing Spencer Long after the season.

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Why wouldn't you just move Scherff or Moses to LT and put Franklin at guard? What in the hell are they thinking putting Clemming at LT? Gruden can't seriously be this dumb....

Because why move a player who plays at a high level to another position?

Also, I think Demarcus Lawrence plays LDE, which means he and Moses will go against each other.

Scherff is also injured and didn’t practice. He hasn’t played LT since January of 2015 in his bowl game at Iowa. That was basically 3 years ago. It would be hard for him to make that switch back to LT where he hasnt played since college w/o even practicing at it.

I totally agree w/ Mark here. The Redskins need to use a lot of empty sets, use quick game and make their LBs have to cover Davis and Reed. The running back we should use the majority of the game is of course Thompson, he should get 15 to 20 touches - 5 to 10 runs, mostly on outside zone but some delays and a few inside zone or duo - and mostly be used in the passing game, both on screens and wheel routes out of the backfield and occasionally in the slot.

Need to use Niles Paul more as well. Go 3 TE set w/ Paul as H-back/FB, they hit Paul once vs Phila for a 32 yd gain, never went back to it.

Gruden has to get our 3 most consistent offensive weapons in mismatches throughout the game. 

33 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Because why move a player who plays at a high level to another position?

Also, I think Demarcus Lawrence plays LDE, which means he and Moses will go against each other.

Scherff is also injured and didn’t practice. He hasn’t played LT since January of 2015 in his bowl game at Iowa. That was basically 3 years ago. It would be hard for him to make that switch back to LT where he hasnt played since college w/o even practicing at it.

Clemming is awful. You do not put an awful player on your QBs blindside. This is not that hard to figure out. 

31 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Clemming is awful. You do not put an awful player on your QBs blindside. This is not that hard to figure out. 

I know he was awful last year when I believe he had to play 3 positions for a Vikings OL that was as beat up as ours currently is, whether he's gotten better under the coaching of Callahan is yet to be determined. Plus, if we go quick game - like we should - the pass rushers won't have the time to get to Kirk.

Archived