When will it be Fields time?

BearsFanForever

10 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

All Bears fans want Fields to start, but(I fear) expectations for him are sky high.  If he has a bad game(and we all know he'll have a few) he'll be crucified.  If he has a great game, he's the best QB ever and we should sign him to a Maholmes type deal.  Seems like with our QBs it's either great or god awful, with little in between. 

Oh, there’s definitely a honeymoon period. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

All Bears fans want Fields to start, but(I fear) expectations for him are sky high.  If he has a bad game(and we all know he'll have a few) he'll be crucified.  If he has a great game, he's the best QB ever and we should sign him to a Maholmes type deal.  Seems like with our QBs it's either great or god awful, with little in between. 

Thats a valid concern, but Dalton starting against good defenses is what I actually believe Nagy is doing to moderate that kind of knee jerk reaction. Dalton will trudge through the first few games as the offense stagnates,  so now Fields has some low lying fruit to show how the offense is better under him. Even in the bad games 14 points should absolutely be doable. 

Plus Fields will have the highlights to combat the lowlights so his grace period should last well over a season of starting. Just my opinion and obviously ignoring the fools and those who disliked him from the start. 

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Oh, there’s definitely a honeymoon period. 

Nobody expects a rookie QB to play mistake free football.   I give fans more credit than that and I give them very little credit. 

I don’t think Bears are a contender with or without Fields at moment.   But I want to see him get better and learn the game in live football.    

I also don’t want to see him get Wildcat type packages only that are frankly a little insulting and increase his chance of injury.  

• Like 3

I have come to the point where seeing what we have the first 3 games of a 17 game season is not a horrible idea.

Then enter fields if we are 0-3, because what do we have to lose, if we are 1-2, i still think we go to fields.  But if we are 2-1, do we go fields, or keep rolling the dice with andy to see what we have.

We need lots of fixes through out the whole team.  Defense, Oline, and WRs.  We know what we have in dalton, tons of film on him, everything else we dont know.  We can still learn from them.  Rams might be freakishly good and a bad test point.

3 hours ago, BearsFanForever said:

I have come to the point where seeing what we have the first 3 games of a 17 game season is not a horrible idea.

Then enter fields if we are 0-3, because what do we have to lose, if we are 1-2, i still think we go to fields.  But if we are 2-1, do we go fields, or keep rolling the dice with andy to see what we have.

We need lots of fixes through out the whole team.  Defense, Oline, and WRs.  We know what we have in dalton, tons of film on him, everything else we dont know.  We can still learn from them.  Rams might be freakishly good and a bad test point.

Matt? Is that you? 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BearsFanForever said:

They don't have a chance in hell of beating the Browns

41 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

They don't have a chance in hell of beating the Browns

My worry is against the best teams in this league like the Rams & Browns we start to resemble the 2014 Bears under Trestman in that there is zero belief from the start of the game that we can win amongst the players...everyone needs to wake up and do better to avoid that potentially happening.

One of the like 5 podcasts I listened to while at work this week mentioned that next week at Cleveland might be the ideal time to start Fields.

-The Ohio State connection (playing in that state often) will endear him to some fans, and feel a bit like "home" to him

-He won't have the rabid chicago fanbase going absolutely nuts over every single play, good or bad.

-So the water in the kettle regarding Nagy and when to start Fields is already  boiling. The entire media is against it, it appears some of the players might be against it, and even some coaches are distancing themselves from the decision to start Dalton over Fields. There's rumors via Da Bears Blog that even some of the owners are leaning towards Fields. 

Dalton was exactly who we all thought Dalton was last week, and it's not super likely he comes out and just lights up the world this week. It's likely the offense continues to struggle again this week, and the secondary is going to have it's hands full facing yet another talented WR corps....  If the defense gets torched for 30 points, and Dalton is maxing out at getting us 21, the pot isn't going to just be boiling, it's going to be boiling over, and the pressure on Nagy to make the change will be too much.. I have -zero- inside information to base this on, but I'd wager there was even a debate on whether to start Fields this week vs Cinci, but the decision went Dalton's way for one more chance, since he wasn't actually bad last week (just not really good), and a chance to start against his old team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

One of the like 5 podcasts I listened to while at work this week mentioned that next week at Cleveland might be the ideal time to start Fields.

-The Ohio State connection (playing in that state often) will endear him to some fans, and feel a bit like "home" to him

-He won't have the rabid chicago fanbase going absolutely nuts over every single play, good or bad.

-So the water in the kettle regarding Nagy and when to start Fields is already  boiling. The entire media is against it, it appears some of the players might be against it, and even some coaches are distancing themselves from the decision to start Dalton over Fields. There's rumors via Da Bears Blog that even some of the owners are leaning towards Fields. 

Dalton was exactly who we all thought Dalton was last week, and it's not super likely he comes out and just lights up the world this week. It's likely the offense continues to struggle again this week, and the secondary is going to have it's hands full facing yet another talented WR corps....  If the defense gets torched for 30 points, and Dalton is maxing out at getting us 21, the pot isn't going to just be boiling, it's going to be boiling over, and the pressure on Nagy to make the change will be too much.. I have -zero- inside information to base this on, but I'd wager there was even a debate on whether to start Fields this week vs Cinci, but the decision went Dalton's way for one more chance, since he wasn't actually bad last week (just not really good), and a chance to start against his old team. 

The Browns crowd won't make as much noise when the Bears are on offense because Fields is the QB? I find that impossible to believe

6 hours ago, Epyon said:

Dalton was exactly who we all thought Dalton was last week, and it's not super likely he comes out and just lights up the world this week. It's likely the offense continues to struggle again this week, and the secondary is going to have it's hands full facing yet another talented WR corps.... 

Dalton is performing pretty much as expected in this offense.  He's steady and experienced but not a guy whose gonna create many big plays.

Of course the excuse of the week was we knew the Rams would drop 7 in coverage and rush with just the front four so we just had to play that way to have any chance at all.  OK, but then you also have to play a near perfect game offensively and extend longer drives into scores.  That didn't happen.  One ended in a pick in the end zone when two receivers failed to run their routes well.  Three or four other drives ended when you couldn't convert on 4th down and you chose not to take a shot at a FG.

So even if the defense had not fallen apart and LA gets two fewer scores you still lose 20-14 because you still can't score!

This whole deal is getting almost as frustrating as a Fox/Loggains offense.

6 hours ago, BearsFanForever said:

Who thinks the only reason Fields isn't starting this week is because Nagy is granting Andy his revenge game?

probably 0 - dalton had it last year when he played for the cowboys. 

i did laugh earlier this week when i saw a beat writer tweet something along the lines of "dalton has 122 career passer rating against the bengals" - but he has just played the one game against them #smallsamplesize