When will it be Fields time?

BearsFanForever

On 9/20/2021 at 10:49 AM, BearsFanForever said:

As much as i Like to see JF start, I don't see Nagy doing it unless he believes JF is the best answer to win football games NOW.  If Nagy's job was not on the line, I could see him say, 'f' it, i am starting Fields now.'

It's always been a bit of a chess game with Nagy playing two different gambits.

1) He goes with the odds and more conventional wisdom playing Dalton for as long as he can.  If the offense show enough progress his job is relatively safe and he can also add just wait 'til you see how much better we can be with Fields.

2) He has plans to start Fields later on once the OL and the rest of the offense have gotten some momentum and he brings in Fields to juice up scoring when it's still not happening with Dalton.  Another unproductive vet is his excuse once again.

IMHO he's straddling the fence hoping one of the other strategy will allow him to show enough progress outside his W/L record to hang around for 2022 when he believes he'll finally have his QB and his offense in high gear.

19 hours ago, dll2000 said:

There is just no upside for Nagy to play Dalton.  I think he is crazy with his Mahomes/Reid nostalgia.  He should have been going with Fields from the start because odds of 17 game Dalton season were just crazy.

You can also break your QB by putting them in too soon.  There should have been a plan to get Fields ready.  Right after the bye would be nice as long as you don't mind him facing Baltimore's defense.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You can also break your QB by putting them in too soon.  There should have been a plan to get Fields ready.  Right after the bye would be nice as long as you don't mind him facing Baltimore's defense.

He got thrown into a game mid game with no reps since training camp (outside scout team).  That is worse for a QB to me.  

It is better in my opinion to give him all reps from start then to throw him in mid season having been back up.   Back ups in NFL don't get in season reps.

I get plan was for him to sit season, but that was just not realistically going to happen behind Dalton who is also new to team.   This isn't a Favre or Alex Smith or even a Jimmy Garoppolo situation. 

On 9/23/2021 at 10:19 AM, dll2000 said:

I get plan was for him to sit season, but that was just not realistically going to happen behind Dalton who is also new to team.   This isn't a Favre or Alex Smith or even a Jimmy Garoppolo situation. 

No. It certainly isn't. But if the plan was really to sit Fields...make him third string. Foles should be starting on Sunday.  Nagy's trying to reinvent the wheel...and we all know how well that works...

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 9:59 AM, CWood21 said:

Baltimore's pass defense sucks, but I do agree. I said from the start that if Nagy really wanted him to sit, a home game after a bye makes the most sense

Edited by beardown3231

39 minutes ago, BearsFanForever said:

Do we still want fields out there?

I'll give it one more game against the Lions and if we continue to see what we saw yesterday from this offensive line and scheme then I'm good with not seeing Fields any more this year under Nagy's tutelage in hopes that he has a brand new staff working with him next season.  

The only exception is if they can Nagy mid season and make Lazor or Flip the HC moving forward.

The more bad positions Fields is put in the more pressure is going to mount on him to make something out of nothing and we all know that doesn't usually end well

Fans will start to think Fields is a bust if these kind of games like yesterday continue and the bottom line is that Fields is currently being set up to fail playing the toughest position in sports in one of the toughest markets in America

20 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I'll give it one more game against the Lions and if we continue to see what we saw yesterday from this offensive line and scheme then I'm good with not seeing Fields any more this year under Nagy's tutelage in hopes that he has a brand new staff working with him next season.  

The only exception is if they can Nagy mid season and make Lazor or Flip the HC moving forward.

The more bad positions Fields is put in the more pressure is going to mount on him to make something out of nothing and we all know that doesn't usually end well

Fans will start to think Fields is a bust if these kind of games like yesterday continue and the bottom line is that Fields is currently being set up to fail playing the toughest position in sports in one of the toughest markets in America

thats the exact thing im worried about.  I know he isn't a bust, but you continue to put him or ANY other qb behind our line, he will look it.  The true bust is Nagy.  They should never had let go of Lovie Smith, or at least look a little further than Nagy.

What I would really love to see is bring what the Ravens have and utilize a RB committee and use all the skills JF has.  I think JF can be a lamar 2.0.  He could take us to the Superbowl if we use his talents correctly.  We just dont have the coaching staff with the right vision to bring this home.