Week 2 GDT: NY Football Giants (0-1) vs Washington Football Team (0-1) - 8 pm EST Thursday

MikeT14

2 hours ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

I saw that.  You are absolutely right.  That was pathetic, in fact the entire Dl gave up on that play against a Giants OL which is ranked bottom 5 in the league.

Yeah it wasn't just Allen either. It was also Chase Young. He got blindsided by Kyle Rudolph and took like 3 seconds to get back up. And it was more by Young where Jones ran. 

I am as disappointed in our defense the first two weeks as anyone else, giving up 800 yards & 49 points - which could’ve been 43 points last night if not for Giants implosion - is awful and not how I expected them to start the season. But, I do expect this defense to improve as the season goes on.

I thought Jamin Davis had good coverage on the running backs and others last night when he was in there, so I think he’s making strides, not huge strides but strides & he’ll probably have a good second half of the season.

I think some of our issues in the secondary is incorporating 3 news players into the secondary and there are some communication issues. I think that will get ironed out.

I also expect our DL to play better as the season goes on. Remember our defense started out rather slow and had some bumps in the road to start the season last year, save the first Philly game, but by the end of the season they were playing as one of the best units on the league. 

I think the D will get better as the season goes on and, I think if Taylor & Terry continue to play the way they’re playing, Logan & Humphries plays a bit better & Dyami Brown gets a little better each and every week plus Samuel should return at some point that this offense should be a solid unit this year.

I don’t know how many wins that translates into because our schedule is absolutely brutal & I fear we’ll be 2-7 or at best 3-6 after 9 games if we steal a game vs these good to great teams we have coming up the next two months but, I do think we’ll be in every game if Heinicke continues to plays like he did last night & his weapons continue to play that well or better & this defenses communication & development of our young players improves as it should.

All in all it’s a weird feeling bc I like the players on this team & our potential both on offense & defense but as @lavar703 said in the week 1 game day thread to me, I don’t see this team winning 8 games, and it’s really hard to see them winning 8 games, even if they play up to their potential on offense and defense.

Realistically, I think this is 5 or 6 win team this year and, while I love Heinicke, us picking around 5th puts us in prime position to draft one of the top 3 QBs in the draft (Rattler, Howell, Coral or Slovis) and we shouldn’t pass on that opportunity like we did last year and I pray that Rivera won’t pass on a 1st round QB again should Heinicke not be great and lead us to a division championship or something.

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Yeah it wasn't just Allen either. It was also Chase Young. He got blindsided by Kyle Rudolph and took like 3 seconds to get back up. And it was more by Young where Jones ran. 

They were obviously gassed bc I don’t think anyone would consider any of our top 5 DL lazy, or they shouldn’t.

On the flip side of they had been out of the game getting a breather and Toohill, Smith-Williams, Settle & Ioannidis had been in the game spelling them in sure that you and @TheGreeK1973 would’ve been composing and saying how can Del Rio not have their best DL in the game in crunch time!

Del Rio got to do a better job. That whole just beat your guy defense gets old real quick. Just like the offense scheme their best players to get in space. Defense got to do it to. Disguises, blitzs, stunts, whatever. Also, just make collins another Jamal adams and keep him out of coverage at all costs. 

Edited by dante9876
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Del Rio got to do a better job. That whole just beat your guy defense gets old real quick. Just like the offense scheme their best players to get in space. Defense got to do it to. Disguises, blitzs, stunts, whatever. Also, just make collins another Jamal adams and keep him our of coverage at all costs. 

Yeah, Collins needs to be playing as a 3rd safety in the box or as a WLB over Jon Bostic. They need to get him out of intermediate to deep coverage, it’s not his forte, he’s a true SS or more like a dime LB in today’s NFL. I’ve been saying this since February & i think the point holds even more true today as my thought/idea did back in February.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Shhh! We dont need some around here knowing weve destroyed our draft selection already.

We're good so far. Had we started 0-2 after two games at home and the next 5 games against opponents in the 1st place schedule, it would've been time to start thinking about the 2022 draft TBQH. 

Still 1-1 with the showing that we've had from this defense (that we supposedly built the team around), does not engender too much additional confidence either.

Good thing is that the offense showed it can produce. Bad thing is that it was against the Jints. But I'll take it. Just need 9 more wins (no matter how ugly) and we're in the playoffs.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

The result worked out, but Scott Turner should catch a lot of flack for having a QB making his first start off a short week throwing 46 times in the rain, while having a RB averaging 5 yards per carry. Just weird game script

As Kevin Sheehan said this morning, that shows their trust in Heinicke which is good. Yes, Gibson should’ve had 10 more touches in the game, a few screens/option routes or a route where he leaked out of the backfield & up the sidelines like Heinicke hit McKissic on late in the game, but what I will never understand is Scotty going full Kyle Shanahan and throwing it with a QB making his first start this year on 3rd & 7 with the lead w/ 2 minutes left in the game while having a RB who’s averaging 5 ypc at your disposal. 

Obviously throwing the ball is the worst option there. Running the ball moves the clock or forces them to call a timeout to stop the clock. If you don’t get it, you’ve still wasted more time on the clock & you can put it away to pin them deep. Throwing it is the worst idea - even if the worst that could’ve happened didn’t, which was an int & them having the ball inside our 30 - an incomplete pass stops the clock which is worse than running the ball which doesn’t stop the clock. 

And I don’t even know if Terry would’ve had the first down if he caught the ball, that would’ve been close anyways.