Jump to content

Week 2 GDT: NY Football Giants (0-1) vs Washington Football Team (0-1) - 8 pm EST Thursday


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

47 there needs to be starting over Bostic at WLB.

Completely agree with this. He’s noticeable on teams and in preseason he’s alway in the action. This guy I think will shine when he gets his reps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts on the game: 

-I'm not sure what is broken with the defense, but it is clearly broken right now. Are we really missing Ronald Darby, Fabian Moreau and Jimmy Mooreland that much? William Jackson 3 seems to be a little more up and down than Darby ever was. He might have more ball skills than Darby but it looks like he's getting beat a little bit more. 

-What happened to Kendall Fuller? To me, his play has deteriorated the worst from year to year.  He can blitz, though.

-I didn't see much of Landon Collins and other fans were blasting him last night but it's clear to me he was a lot of pre-season hype (not surprised). I've been sour on Collins his entire WFT career and I think he needs to take a seat next to Apke. No, I don't want to see him at LB and I don't want him back next year. Enough is enough. 

-For as bad as our secondary played, I thought St. Juste had a bounce-back game. He might of been our best CB last night. 

- I thought the D-Line played better. Not good, but better. I said in the other thread that Chase Young is pressing and trying to do too much. He needs to play smarter.  Jonathan Allen is having a great start to the season. 

-The lack of a QB Spy on Daniel Jones was embarrassing. So was the coverage on the Tight End. 

-Jamin Davis wasn't completely invisible and that was nice to see. He showed some flashes. That hit on Saquon at the end of the game when they were killing time was nice to see. Chase Young started off slow last year too. 

-Heinicke had a good game overall but he wasn't super accurate and he threw a lot of high balls and behind the receiver balls. The INT was inexcusable.  I think you have to give him the rest of the first half of the season though. He has the intangibles. That throw to Ricky Seal-Jones was awesome. 

-It's nice to see Antonio Gibson averaging over 5 YPC even if he didn't get a lot of carries. I'm a fan of the new guys on the offensive line. I don't think he's a great third and short type of guy though. 

-Where has Cam Sims been? Maybe we don't need him. Humphries plays the role of reliable vet pretty well. It was nice to see Dyami Brown get in the action too

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone here actually think if Taylor learns to look off and can still place balls like he does in big pressure moments that he can actually be a good player? This is way too early but his ball placement he is the first QB I’ve seen throw to spots on this roster. Trent Green was a good QB but that wasn’t the name of the game in that era.
The only thing I can say I maybe see in super limited action which is key but I sometimes notice taylor doesn’t turn his head away sometimes like it’s maybe a pre determined rep. Which for a backup I get that completely. Play within the system. But when he spots something his natural reaction and placement has been seriously impressive to me. This era could be brief so while it’s here I want to know if anyone thinks this guy could surprise and make a name for himself beyond the 6 game no tape period?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, taylor made said:

My thoughts on the game: 

-I'm not sure what is broken with the defense, but it is clearly broken right now. Are we really missing Ronald Darby, Fabian Moreau and Jimmy Moreland that much? William Jackson 3 seems to be a little more up and down than Darby ever was. He might have more ball skills than Darby but it looks like he's getting beat a little bit more.  

Yes.

Quote

-What happened to Kendall Fuller? To me, his play has deteriorated the worst from year to year.  He can blitz, though.

Guy's play in the slot is nowhere near what it was his first stint with us. He belongs outside or at Safety.

 

Quote

-I didn't see much of Landon Collins and other fans were blasting him last night but it's clear to me he was a lot of pre-season hype (not surprised). I've been sour on Collins his entire WFT career and I think he needs to take a seat next to Apke. No, I don't want to see him at LB and I don't want him back next year. Enough is enough.

I'm good with getting rid of him after the season. I'm also good with sitting him. 

Quote

-For as bad as our secondary played, I thought St. Juste had a bounce-back game. He might of been our best CB last night.

I think he was. I was critical of the pick but so far he's shown that he belongs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Does anyone here actually think if Taylor learns to look off and can still place balls like he does in big pressure moments that he can actually be a good player? This is way too early but his ball placement he is the first QB I’ve seen throw to spots on this roster. Trent Green was a good QB but that wasn’t the name of the game in that era.
The only thing I can say I maybe see in super limited action which is key but I sometimes notice taylor doesn’t turn his head away sometimes like it’s maybe a pre determined rep. Which for a backup I get that completely. Play within the system. But when he spots something his natural reaction and placement has been seriously impressive to me. This era could be brief so while it’s here I want to know if anyone thinks this guy could surprise and make a name for himself beyond the 6 game no tape period?

I think, and trying not to jinx it here <knock on wood>, that he can definitely improve and is on a good path to do so. He goes through his progressions pretty efficiently. I think his college coaches and pro coaches have raved about his ability to do that.

In fact, I think the Seals TD, he was the 3rd option on that play

Link to post
Share on other sites

@taylor made Dyami Brown is playing & getting almost every snap (93% week 1, 87% week 2), that’s why Cam Sims is getting basically zero offensive snaps. Dyami obviously has the upside, but I think there’s a case to be made at this time that Cam should still be starting at #2 WR until Dyami is definitely better than him, at this point I think Cam is a better & definitely more reliable player.
 

It’s my same argument as to why I think Lucas should be staring at RT over Cosmi right now. I get that Cosmi has more potential & he’s going to be our RT or LT for hopefully a decade plus to come, but the best guy should play and right now I think Cam Sims and Lucas are better players than Dyami Brown & Cosmi.

From what I’ve heard, WJ3 is learning the defense still & adjusting to the scheme. I think WJ3 is better talent wise than Darby but, I think there’s definitely an argument to be made that we shouldn’t have tried to fix what wasn’t broken & Darby didn’t need to be replaced; we should’ve re-signed him. The same argument could be made as to why we should’ve retained Jimmy Moreland & he should still be playing in the slot for us w/ Fuller staying outside.

Lastly, I think the same can be said for McCain as I just said for WJ3. Yeah, McCain more talented than Everrett and Reaves but, our D played well with either of them playing FS last year, so why fix what wasn’t broken unless we were signing a pro bowl type upgrade at FS, and we didn’t do that when we signed McCain?

I don’t agree w/ you’re take on Landon Collins and if they should try to move him closer to the line as a true SS/dime LB & take Bostic off the field but, no point in rehashing that, we just don’t agree and we both know where each other stand. It’s all good!

The rest of your post/points I agree with. Great post man!

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

@taylor made Dyami Brown is playing & getting almost every snap, that’s why Cam Sims is getting basically zero offensive snaps. Dyami obviously has the upside, but I think there’s a case to be made at this time that Cam should still be starting at #2 WR until Dyami is definitely better than him, at this point I think Cam is a better & definitely more reliable player. It’s my same argument as to why I think Lucas should be staring at RT over Cosmi right now. I get that Cosmi has more potential & he’s going to be our RT or LT for hopefully a decade plus to come, but the best guy should play and right now I think Cam Sims and Lucas are better players than Dyami Brown & Cosmi.

From what I’ve heard, WJ3 is learning the defense still & adjusting to the scheme. I think WJ3 is better talent wise than Darby but, I think there’s definitely an argument to be made that we shouldn’t have tried to fix what wasn’t broken & Darby didn’t need to be replaced; we should’ve re-signed him. The same argument could be made as to why we should’ve retained Jimmy Moreland & he should still be playing in the slot for us w/ Fuller staying outside.

Lastly, I think the same can be said for McCain as I just said for WJ3. Yeah, McCain more talented than Everrett and Reaves but, our D played well with either of them playing FS last year, so why fix what wasn’t broken unless we were signing a pro bowl type upgrade at FS, and we didn’t do that when we signed McCain.

I don’t agree w/ you’re take on Landon Collins and if they should try to move him closer to the line as a true SS/dime LB & take Bostic off the field but, no point in rehashing that, we just don’t agree and we both know where each other stand. It’s all good!

The rest of your post/points I agree with. Great post man!

I think Rivera will be slow to make any roster moves. Last year when Apke was starting and playing horrible, he was patient with him an let him start 7! games. I'm not sure he's gonna bench 2 of his rookies this quick. It would not be great for their confidence. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I think Rivera will be slow to make any roster moves. Last year when Apke was starting and playing horrible, he was patient with him an let him start 7! games. I'm not sure he's gonna bench 2 of his rookies this quick. It would not be great for their confidence. 

I agree, and I think that all the guys you mentioned including Jamin Davis and St. Juste’s best days are ahead of them this season. It’s to be expected that rookies will have growing pains the first half of their rookie years and maybe even longer into their 2nd seasons. I’m seeing some flashes from these 4 guys though so I’m really hopeful that the second half of the year we won’t be complaining about their play much at all. Heck, hopefully by October Curtis Samuel is back, starting, healthy, playing well and Brown won’t be getting much snaps at all on offense.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, taylor made said:

 

The lack of a QB Spy on Daniel Jones was embarrassing. So was the coverage on the Tight End. 

 

Yeap they had success with the read option 3 times for crying out loud. If you watch some of those RPO runs they happened on 2nd and 5, 2nd and 1 and 2nd and 3. So you see the trend here. Second and short or lesss than five and we still didn't defend it well. Wonder how many times the G man could of ran that RPO play until we could stop. I think they still could run that play right now and we still couldn't stop it LOL. But I kow Del Rio was aware of these tenderencies before last night game. It appears you have to stop RPO on first down to keep them out of that 2nd and short.  Really says alot about the struggles of the def. We  also have the 3rd down and long problem. Man we have multiple leaks everywere in our D.

Edited by 4209
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind the decision to pass on 2nd and 7, I want to stay aggressive. The issue I have is the choice of the route, we know it's going to Mclaurin they know it's going to Mclaurin and we have him to run to a spot and make a timing throw. Not running play action on a bootleg or read option is the problem I have. You give Heinicke a chance to make a play if it's there if not he can take off and keep the clock running.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rizzy said:

I don't mind the decision to pass on 2nd and 7, I want to stay aggressive. The issue I have is the choice of the route, we know it's going to Mclaurin they know it's going to Mclaurin and we have him to run to a spot and make a timing throw. Not running play action on a bootleg or read option is the problem I have. You give Heinicke a chance to make a play if it's there if not he can take off and keep the clock running.

Good point, they definitely should us Heinicke in bootlegs but I’m not even sure if Scotty has that in his offense because I don’t remember seeing us run a bootleg the last two years. Heinicke would be great at it as you said, he’d have Heinicke with the option to throw or run for it. Also, we don’t run any read option or RPO that I remember either. Turner’s O has a lot of motion and misdirection stuff with the WRs but I’d like to see more variety in his offense and O doubt we’re ever going to get it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm throwing dung against the wall & haven't reviewed or rewatched the game.

But I bet the reason our back 7 is getting torched is, because Landon Collins is playing & because Cam Curl isn't playing.

I just find it strange that when Collins was out last yr due to injury & Cam Curl started? Our 7th Rd pick played great & our defense improved overall. Just from that 1 switch.

Now, Cam plays limited action & Landon starts.

If it were me....

I'd have Landon Collins on the trade block & get Cam in the game. He simply just makes plays. (And can cover better)

They need to do something....

At least move Collins to LBer & get Curl in the damn game!!

I'm not mad...it just burns my ***....

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Completely agree with this. He’s noticeable on teams and in preseason he’s alway in the action. This guy I think will shine when he gets his reps.

I’m hoping by mid/end of the season he’s starting over Bostic at the least. I thought the reason they didn’t sign a good FA LB like Eric Wilson or someone or draft a 2nd LB was because they thought he could start. It’s disappointing his not getting a chance at WLB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I'm throwing dung against the wall & haven't reviewed or rewatched the game.

But I bet the reason our back 7 is getting torched is, because Landon Collins is playing & because Cam Curl isn't playing.

I just find it strange that when Collins was out last yr due to injury & Cam Curl started? Our 7th Rd pick played great & our defense improved overall. Just from that 1 switch.

Now, Cam plays limited action & Landon starts.

If it were me....

I'd have Landon Collins on the trade block & get Cam in the game. He simply just makes plays. (And can cover better)

They need to do something....

At least move Collins to LBer & get Curl in the damn game!!

I'm not mad...it just burns my ***....

Sadly, no one is going to trade for Landon Collins’s contract for the same reasons we want to move him to LB or would want to trade him and think he’s overpaid are the same reasons other teams wouldn’t want him. He’s overpaid and plays more like a LB than a safety.

As for the snap %’s this game they played a lot together. Collins played 75% of the snaps & Curl played 74%.

Ill try to figure out who played less, my guess is that either McCain played less snaps this game or one of the linebackers.

Yep, Bobby McCain played less snaps. 85% week 1, 54% week 2.

Holcomb - 100%

Bostic - 57%

Jamin Davis 39%
 

Edited by turtle28
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...