Week 2: VIKINGS (0-1) at Cardinals (1-0)

swede700

Game 2

When:  4:05 PM EST September 19th

Where: State Farm Stadium (Glendale, AZ)

TV/Radio: FOX (TV), KFAN 100.3 (Radio)

Announcers: Gus Johnson, Aqib Talib, Megan Olivi

Coverage Map:  https://506sports.com/2021/02-FOX-V2.png

Notable Injuries:

Vikings - Questionable: LB Eric Kendricks (quadricep), Doubtful: None, Out: OT Christian Darrisaw (groin), DE Everson Griffen (concussion), LB Anthony Barr (knee), CB Harrison Hand (hamstring)

Cardinals - Questionable: None, Doubtful: None, Out: None

Please keep all discussion about the game here.

Edited by swede700

Chandler Jones has a legitimate shot to hit double digit sacks after Sunday if he's lining up vs Hill all game. He's an absolute wrecking ball.

Arizona is really trending up. I think they will be a tougher team than most people realize.

Its only one game but we really need to find our groove. Last week was ugly.

All we can hope is that this season will go the same way as the 2015 season with the "Battering by the Bay" in which Vikings came out flat against a bad 49ers team...and then proceeded to go on to an 11-5 season.  

I will not be jumping on the "Arizona is trending up" bandwagon though.  They are, similar to what PA says, a "trick".  I haven't seen any of the highlights of the thumping they put on the Titans yesterday, but I still don't trust them.  Maybe that's just me being a "Get off my lawn" type of person, but I can't see them being a team of consistency, and Kyler is probably going to get himself killed at some moment with the way he plays, at which point they'd have to put the game in the hands of either Colt McCoy or Gopher guy who couldn't even beat out Mitch Leidner.    

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I hate when we play top-tier running QBs.

I'm not worried much about their run game but Kyler is a nice weapon.

Gotta win this one because Seattle looked scary yesterday. 0-3 would not be ideal.

I take most of Game 1s with a grain of salt.  I expected the Seahawks to win because I had no faith in Indianapolis in Week 1, although I think they'll get their stuff together over the season.   In a similar vein, I don't think the Eagles are going to win more than 6 games despite rolling the Falcons yesterday on the road...and I don' t think the Cardinals are going to all of a sudden be a 14-3 team because they beat the Titans or the Vikings are going to go 3-14 because they lost to what will be a bad Bengals team.  I'd like to at least still have faith that Zimmer will have them better prepared here, just as he did in 2015.

If the offensive line plays in this game like they did against the Bengals, and if the defensive line of the Cardinals play this week like they did against the Titans...well, Cousins will have no chance in the passing game.  The running game may not be any more productive as Arizona's defense held Derrick Henry to under 50 yards rushing I believe.  While I hope that this week was a week one "funk." If it's who this team is going to be this year, than, this game is going to get ugly pretty quick.

Early look ahead line is Cardinals (-4) from both Caesars and FiveThirtyEight. The game is not quite a must win, but a game against a conference opponent may influence tie breakers for either the division or a wild card birth.

Hopefully the Vikings are warmed up after the Bengals game, but I am afraid the team may come out flat after that deflating loss last week. The last four times the Vikings have had an OT game the team went 0-4 the next week under Mike Zimmer, including losing as 16.5 point favorites at home to Buffalo in 2018.

Just can't shake the feeling that the team will not be ready to play, despite how much this game means to their season.

36 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

If the offensive line plays in this game like they did against the Bengals, and if the defensive line of the Cardinals play this week like they did against the Titans...well, Cousins will have no chance in the passing game.  The running game may not be any more productive as Arizona's defense held Derrick Henry to under 50 yards rushing I believe.  While I hope that this week was a week one "funk." If it's who this team is going to be this year, than, this game is going to get ugly pretty quick.

As I told someone earlier, Cook and Henry have completely different running styles and I feel that Cook's style will have far more success than Henry did.  Henry is a run in between the tackles type of RB, which plays directly into the Cardinals' favor.  Get Jones to go side to side instead of charging right at you, then you're bound to have more success.  I think they'll do much better this week than they did yesterday, but whether that leads to a win or not, I can't tell you.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

After the way the o-line and defense performed against Cincinnati, I don’t in any way see this as a win. 

The Zimmer era appears (needs) to be over.   Time to start looking at prospective new coaches. Preferably an offensive minded coach. 

I really hope it doesn't come to that, but maybe that's for the best.

If we move on from Zimmer, I'd rather see a whole clearing of the FO and coaching (except Patterson) and find a new longterm QB.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I really hope it doesn't come to that, but maybe that's for the best.

If we move on from Zimmer, I'd rather see a whole clearing of the FO and coaching (except Patterson) and find a new longterm QB.

You'd have to at this point.

If you fired Zimmer, you need to get rid of his "culture" and let the new HC bring his new coaching staff and culture. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Chandler Jones has a legitimate shot to hit double digit sacks after Sunday if he's lining up vs Hill all game. He's an absolute wrecking ball.

Arizona is really trending up. I think they will be a tougher team than most people realize.

Its only one game but we really need to find our groove. Last week was ugly.

Yeah Chandler Jones had a crazy productive game!  Then again the Titans have a bad OT group with a lot of guys injured, Lewan coming off an injury and I think Kendall Lamm was out there and got beat a lot at RT and David Quessenberry possibly is a OT for them at times and he is a guard.  Surprised they did not put Dillon Radunz back there.

Either way Vikings better show up against Chandler Jones or they will get embarrassed.  Not to mention they also have JJ Watt on D, Budda Baker, Zaven Collins and Isaiah Simmons.  

• Like 1