Week 2: VIKINGS (0-1) at Cardinals (1-0)

swede700

8 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Frankly, the TEs shouldn’t run a route against Arizona. The TE should shadow Chandler Jones and double team him all day long. 

True but fact is obviously Kyle Rudolph was a hell of a lot better blocker than people gave him credit for, Conklin is not a great blocking, neither was Irv Smith before the injury and obviously Herndon is just so so even when he learns the playbook.  Ben Ellfeson I do not know much about, hopefully he can block because not sure those others can, maybe Brandon Dillon but he did not show up much during the game either but not sure he played much.  

So even if the TEs stay in a block, they are not that great at it anyway so not sure how effective they will be, granted the Titans have bad OT problems so hopefully some of Jones production was deceptive because of that.

This should be the last game for Garrett Bradbury, IMO. 

I don’t know if Mason Cole would do any better, but watching your center get pushed backwards as fast as the QB is taking his drop back is flat out unacceptable. I’m also seriously questioning his ability to recognize pressure and shift things around. 

45 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t know if Mason Cole would do any better, but watching your center get pushed backwards as fast as the QB is taking his drop back is flat out unacceptable. I’m also seriously questioning his ability to recognize pressure and shift things around. 

It won’t. This staff really hasn’t shown an ability to adjust the OL midseason. Who they go with in camp seems to stick the entire year, barring injury.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

It won’t. This staff really hasn’t shown an ability to adjust the OL midseason. Who they go with in camp seems to stick the entire year, barring injury.

Yes and no. Usually changes happen after an injury, although I do believe there have been times when it was an “injury”. 

But I also don’t think the Vikings have really had backups who could push a starter out before. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Yes and no. Usually changes happen after an injury, although I do believe there have been times when it was an “injury”. 

But I also don’t think the Vikings have really had backups who could push a starter out before. 

Do we really now? Maybe Cole could do it but he’s not much different than what we had last year, Brett Jones.

Sure Darrisaw and Davis are promising, and I’d hope they’d get a chance sooner than later.

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Maybe Cole could do it but he’s not much different than what we had last year, Brett Jones

But he really is. Cole can do all of the job that’s asked of the center position. To what degree is certainly up for debate. But, Jones couldn’t. Jones flat out couldn’t move in space or get to the second level on blocks. 

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Hell, if Udoh pans out, I'd throw Davis in at C and see how he does. I know he began practicing it some during the preseason, so maybe that's where he could end up.

What’s the thoughts on Cleveland at LG? If Udoh works out, Davis to Center makes sense, unless Cleveland isn’t cutting it. 

Edited by vikingsrule

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

What’s the thoughts on Cleveland at LG? If Udoh works out, Davis to Center makes sense, unless Cleveland isn’t cutting it. 

Too early to tell. On some plays he’s great, on some plays he’s a wreck. 

He can lose his footwork or hand placement from time to time, but I don’t see him getting physically outmatched very often, and when he does it’s usually because of a hand or footwork issue. All correctable. Just a matter of if he will or not. 

I think he’s got the size, strength, and mentality to be solid. Let him grow into the position. Re-evaluate at the end of the year. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 9:10 AM, SemperFeist said:

I think Wyatt Davis might be the future at that position.