Hawkeye Disney+ - New Episodes Wednesday's

Acgott

33 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Hawkeye, BW, Cap, Ironman, Hulk, Thor… All the OGs are being replaced with characters that I don’t care about. I’m not a comic reader so I have zero attachment to the new Avengers. 

I’ll give them a shot. But right now the only thing keeping me interested is Wanda, Loki, Spider-Man, Strange, and the next Thor/GotG movie. I guess Ant Man too for Quantumania. 

I plan on skipping Ms Marvel, Marvels, Eternals, and Ironheart. It’s a toss up for Moon Knight and She Hulk. I’ve said before that I really like Tatiana Maslany, but I have zero interest in the She Hulk character/show. Although… I just had the thought that she could be Spidey’s lawyer in NWH and not Murdock like people think. That could be a cool intro to the character. Probably won’t be either though. 

F4 and X-Men will have my interest for sure. 

Gotcha, I knew what you meant.
It's just... like you gained an attachment for them from the films, would it not be a chance you could do the same with some of these new characters too?

I don't think Hulk or Thor are going anywhere, She-Hulk is her own thing and no way Portman is sticking around for a bunch of stuff.
If you mean Valkyrie maybe, but they seem to be positioning her for her own sorta thing, not really the new thor.

She-Hulk show sounds like it'll be fairly packed with other stuff from the world, so yeah you might enjoy it.
I second @Deadpulse, Moon Knight should be worth the watch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are getting way bigger with this stuff, they are more than doubling their output from even their busiest year in the first 12 years.
Not everything is gonna be for everyone, which I think is a good thing for the longevity of the MCU. 
Can't go too niche but like take the Young Avengers whenever that comes out, that can potentially be pulling characters from

• Wandavision  / Wanda's kids
  • Falcon AT WS / Patriot, Isaiah's grandson
  • Loki / Kid Loki (maybe) and Kang 
  • Hawkeye / Kate Bishop
  • Doctor Strange and the MOM / America Chavez and probably the actors playing Wanda's kids
  • Ms Marvel / Kamala Khan
  • Ironheart / Riri Williams (who is also going to be in Black Panther and Armor Wars)
  • Secret Invasion / Hulkling
  • Quantumania / Cassie Lang as Stature
    and potentially more

There's no way they think everyone will see all of those properties, but you can see a big event film or a teamup and you can go back if you liked the character and get way more.
Different paths lead people to those bigger things and it all kinda feeds into itself. Young Avengers maybe isn't your thing but is the biggest example of soft piloting and using Disney+ to really expand this thing fast. 
The same will be said with whatever the Thunderbolts end up being and a lot of others.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's normal for not all of these to really do it for you, but they aren't really decreasing the output of stuff you do want from what we are used to with at least 3 things or more you care about per year. And I do think you are in the same boat as a lot of people. All the other stuff is aiming at either the people who love it all or the more specific audience member they want to target who hasn't had their things yet. 

By 2025 I'd assume this entire formula will be ratcheted up with the mutants being added, almost being a micro system in it's own right on top of feeding into the larger MCU.

Until then I'd say take a chance on some of these, some really good stuff coming up. Or don't not a big deal.
Can always just leave after a couple episodes or wait til the films hit Disney+ for lower investment.
If MCU Hulk, Natsha and Clint's Hawkeye were characters you really liked, I'm pretty confident there will be new ones that fill that void...even if it isn't their actual legacy followup character. A lot of good ones are coming, even if they only have one very obvious story to tell.

• Like 1

I never really gave a rip about any of the Avengers when I read comics as a kid, I was way more into the X-Men stuff and Spiderman.  In particular I didn't really care for Cap or Thor, and those were my favorite characters in the Infinity Saga. I'll start to lose interest when they start telling stories I don't like with characters I can't relate to at all, but in the meantime, they've earned a bit of the benefit of the doubt where i'll be checking out whatever they put out.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 12:40 AM, kingseanjohn said:

Hawkeye, BW, Cap, Ironman, Hulk, Thor… All the OGs are being replaced with characters that I don’t care about. I’m not a comic reader so I have zero attachment to the new Avengers. 

I’ll give them a shot. But right now the only thing keeping me interested is Wanda, Loki, Spider-Man, Strange, and the next Thor/GotG movie. I guess Ant Man too for Quantumania. 

I plan on skipping Ms Marvel, Marvels, Eternals, and Ironheart. It’s a toss up for Moon Knight and She Hulk. I’ve said before that I really like Tatiana Maslany, but I have zero interest in the She Hulk character/show. Although… I just had the thought that she could be Spidey’s lawyer in NWH and not Murdock like people think. That could be a cool intro to the character. Probably won’t be either though. 

F4 and X-Men will have my interest for sure. 

Im right with you 100%.

The OG characters were also just so perfectly casted and executed.  The new stuff just feels very B team-ish.   Hard to follow up after what they had.

Since Endgame, Ive watched very little of the new Marvel stuff.  Eventually, Ill check out most of the stuff I missed, but its just not the same excitement.   

No Way Home looks fun, but I still maintain that Spider Man in the MCU isnt really Spider Man, but rather Iron Boy.  Still enjoyable, but feels a bit off.

Hawkeye should be solid, but again....just passing the torch to another B teamer.

X Men being done right could really pique my interest again....but I dont think it will be.   Hope Im wrong.

Just now, Deadpulse said:

What makes you think they will f it up?

Unlike when the MCU first started, the hot thing to do nowadays is needlessly change iconic characters.    Again...I hope it doesnt happen, but Im not confident.

I also think they will try to be very different from the old XMen cinematic universe.   Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes when you focus on being different, you take away the simple things that were done well.  (see pretty much the entire DCEU trying to be different from the MCU).

Im still excited, but its not like 5+ years ago where I had the utmost confidence in the MCU.

53 minutes ago, 43M said:

Unlike when the MCU first started, the hot thing to do nowadays is needlessly change iconic characters.    Again...I hope it doesnt happen, but Im not confident.

I also think they will try to be very different from the old XMen cinematic universe.   Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes when you focus on being different, you take away the simple things that were done well.  (see pretty much the entire DCEU trying to be different from the MCU).

Im still excited, but its not like 5+ years ago where I had the utmost confidence in the MCU.

Seems like your letting DC criticism seep into the MCU. To my knowledge they havent drastically changed any characters. Maybe you and I perceive this differently but everything seems really entrenched in comic source material. I also don't think the MCU has a need to be different than the Fox X-Men, its just going to stay to formula; which admittedly has its own drawbacks. 

48 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Seems like your letting DC criticism seep into the MCU. To my knowledge they havent drastically changed any characters. Maybe you and I perceive this differently but everything seems really entrenched in comic source material. I also don't think the MCU has a need to be different than the Fox X-Men, its just going to stay to formula; which admittedly has its own drawbacks. 

Yes, my issues with DC play a part in my pessimism, but it goes beyond that.  Its not just DC.   This is a rampant problem in Hollywood as a whole.   If its not changing the iconic character itself, its replacing them with dollar store quality replacements for those characters that are far less interesting and compelling characters.

Unlike with most modern DC stuff, I actually have optimism for the MCU.   It just isnt as much a faith as I once had.   Definitely holding out hope for XMen, but I wont get them up too high.    Spider Man in the MCU has kinda let me down (hopefully No Way Home changes that), and I hope XMen stays more true to what they are supposed to be.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

They will undoubtedly change up some characters, or go with certain versions of the characters that weren't as longstanding.
But yeah Marvel is fairly good at sticking to the core of the character, sometimes needing a second appearance to get them there.

Like the biggest botch I can think of recently was Taskmaster in Widow, was like kinda there but got a little wonky.
But it is setup that they could become more like the character in the future just like how they fixed the whole Mandarin thing.

Biggest changes I think we'll see is really who they cast in some of these roles. And historically they'll probably lean towards newer versions of the comics for inspiration.
Not all of them will look 1to1 from the 60s-80s versions of the character, but they usually keep the core pretty intact.

42 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

And historically they'll probably lean towards newer versions of the comics for inspiration.

They definitely do this. You go to the 90s you get exactly what @43M was talking about, needlessly changing characters with no substance. The 90s was a dark dark time for comics. Then you get to the 80s, which was pretty good, but A LOT of not really gonna fly today things going on. The most talked about being Hank Pym knocking Janice around likes its NBD. 

Besides, they definitely use the flicks to drum up comic interest too. For instance, Eternals got their own ongoing title that debuted the same week as the first trailer for the movie. The Eternals haven't been heavily featured in a comics in a long long time. 

12 hours ago, 43M said:

I mean, the original X-Men film made Wolverine 6'3". And Sam Rami's Spider Man had webbing coming out his skin. 

If you really just mean the MCU, they did change Thor's origin a bit, basically axing out the Donald Blake connection. That was early in the MCU. 

Sometimes change is warranted/not a big deal. I'm not a huge fan of the MCU iteration of Spider Man due to the changes, but with someone like Shang Chi, he's vastly different from when the time he was most popular. But Shang Chi never reached the prominence as someone like Spider Man did, so the MCU could be more flexible with updating the character (and they rightfully were obligated to do so due to Shang Chi really being a product of it's time). So it really depends. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I mean, the original X-Men film made Wolverine 6'3". And Sam Rami's Spider Man had webbing coming out his skin. 

If you really just mean the MCU, they did change Thor's origin a bit, basically axing out the Donald Blake connection. That was early in the MCU. 

Sometimes change is warranted/not a big deal. I'm not a huge fan of the MCU iteration of Spider Man due to the changes, but with someone like Shang Chi, he's vastly different from when the time he was most popular. But Shang Chi never reached the prominence as someone like Spider Man did, so the MCU could be more flexible with updating the character (and they rightfully were obligated to do so due to Shang Chi really being a product of it's time). So it really depends. 

I dont mind certain changes.    I just dont like when they change defining aspects of a character....especially iconic ones.    As you stated...Lesser known characters you can usually take more liberties with, even though thats still going to bother people.

Height typically never bothers me unless its something ridiculous.   

Marvel has been pretty good, but the radical changes to characters like Iron Spider and MJ concern me.    And again, this goes beyond Marvel.

After Batman, Wolverine and the XMen were always my favorite superheroes growing up.   Loved the comics, games and Fox cartoon.....so I just want to see it done well with no major character changes...at least to the core group.

And for the love of god, give us some Gambit...