Changes  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who is gone by mid-season?

• Joe Barry
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Kevin King
    • Brian Gutekunst
    • None of the above

The Packers are not generally known for making in season moves. Obviously this is an overreaction to our first game but if there is a continued collapse on D, especially if the offense picks up but they lose us some games, my guess would be Barry with Coach Gray replacing him.  I would put zero money on that and of course hope we just got an ice cold wake up call to get it together for the season. 

Edited by Refugee

Lol at the Packers doing a thing in the middle of the season that would help them.

That is a move for a team trying to win a Super Bowl, not for a team that is trying to have a team that could possibly win a Super Bowl if they get every single bounce and call for three to four straight games.

30 minutes ago, Refugee said:

The Packers are not generally known for making in season moves. Obviously this is an overreaction to our first game but if there is a continued collapse on D, especially if the offense picks up but they lose us some games, my guess would be Barry with Coach Gray replacing him.  I would put zero money on that and of course hope we just got an ice cold wake up call to get it together for the season. 

IIRC Barry was not the first choice. Jim Leonard was, but withdrew for some reason. I think Barry is on a short leash. I expressed concern about his defense during the preseason when he was playing the corners ten yards off the line of scrimmage. Someone on the forum here said not to worry. It was only preseason. Sunday I noticed the corners playing ten yards off the line again. In the NFL that pretty much an open invitation to the QB that he can have 6-8 yards anytime he wants it. Barry doesn't have a good track record. People excuse that by saying he never had good players, and now that he has good player he'll be a better coach. But another way of looking at it is, even if you put a bad race car driver in a better car, he's still a bad driver. 

19 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If MLF views either Gray or Mike Smith on staff as potential future DC's, I could see an in-season firing of Barry if defense continues to struggle and we're below .500 near midseason.

Smith has been kinda progressing to the point where you think that might happen eventually.

I think you've identified the two guys who could be the replacement. Didn't Gray come from Minny? That may give him an edge.

23 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Lol can we please wait at least one more game before discussing at length who’s going or should be cut or whatever 

King's the only one in danger of being cut. I have a sneaky feeling Rodgers may lose interest and retire. Barry is a looming disaster. If he loses his players, he could be gone. Seriously, I think Gute is pretty safe.

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

IIRC Barry was not the first choice. Jim Leonard was, but withdrew for some reason. I think Barry is on a short leash. I expressed concern about his defense during the preseason when he was playing the corners ten yards off the line of scrimmage. Someone on the forum here said not to worry. It was only preseason. Sunday I noticed the corners playing ten yards off the line again. In the NFL that pretty much an open invitation to the QB that he can have 6-8 yards anytime he wants it. Barry doesn't have a good track record. People excuse that by saying he never had good players, and now that he has good player he'll be a better coach. But another way of looking at it is, even if you put a bad race car driver in a better car, he's still a bad driver. 

I’m with you on not liking the hire from the start, not many did. He has time to prove me wrong but hopefully not much time. LaFleur has to know what his standards are and if he was wrong, be willing to admit his mistakes early. By going deep into the post season, we did not get first pick on the run on new hires.  Don’t get me started on Leonhard, I’m still ticked and feel he was using the interview to strengthen his image but did not want to make the leap. 

40 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol at the Packers doing a thing in the middle of the season that would help them.

That is a move for a team trying to win a Super Bowl, not for a team that is trying to have a team that could possibly win a Super Bowl if they get every single bounce and call for three to four straight games.

If they get to mid-season and are 4-4 or something like that, I could see Rodgers losing interest and walking away from the game.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I think you've identified the two guys who could be the replacement. Didn't Gray come from Minny? That may give him an edge.

Gray has been a DC before in Buf where they had a stout defense. He was one of the interviews but did not get the promotion.