54 members have voted

1. 1. Who is gone by mid-season?

• Joe Barry
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Kevin King
    • Brian Gutekunst
    • None of the above

12 minutes ago, ayt said:

How many teams have fired their defensive coordinator in season and gone to the SB? Hell, how often do teams that even make the playoffs fire a DC in season?

Ravens did this with their OC the last year they won.

This is a point that needs no precedent. It is all-inclusive in the NFL.

If something is bad, too bad to win with it, it makes zero sense to assume that it is a bad idea to try to win without it.

If Barry stinks and stinks badly and our defense is bottom 12 at the midway point, yet our record gives us a chance, and we think somebody else would be an improvement…

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If something is bad, too bad to win with it, it makes zero sense to assume that it is a bad idea to try to win without it.

Exactly, you can’t use precedents to justify inaction. I don’t care if no one ever won the race after a tyre change, if it’s punctured I’m sure as hell going to boxes to have it fixed. Some chance is better than no chance.

And just for the record so there is no misunderstanding, I’m not talking about firing Barry now. If the defense continues to underperform though, it should certainly be considered.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Les Punting said:

You watched the game. Which plays did Rodgers give up on in order to avoid unnecessary hits? Who were the open receivers he passed on in his alleged act(s) of self-preservation? If you can't definitively answer those questions, then maybe it is something you should argue with.

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I have a slightly different take.  I think he got caught off-guard and unprepared, and I don't think he made a business decision that they weren't going to win the game until the moment he was pulled from the game in favor of Love.  He looked slow and lost out there and he was justifiably pulled.  And I'm not totally convinced he'll have all the rust knocked off tonight.  He missed a lot of time preparing for the upcoming season contemplating his life choices.  He looked far from ready for the season to begin and I'm not holding my breath tonight.  I'm more curious to see what the defense does tonight, tbh.

I watched the game once.  I thought Rodgers looked like the rest of the team.

Which was unprepared.

I'd re-watch and give examples, because I do remember them, but it isn't that important to me.

I've said that Rodgers can play at an elite level in this offense for the next 5 years, if he keeps his legs and core in NFL football shape.

I don't recall his feet doing much all game long.  To me, he did not look as nimble as he did last year.

Tonight will be a better test, hopefully the team is prepared and we see what we really have.

Not sure that Runyan didn't just win a job over Patrick.

Also feeling like Stokes will be a boundary corner.  King and Jaire will still be on the field.  Gets our best 3 (arguably) on the field.

As far as other changes go?  Defensive philosophy.  This is the same bend defense that we had with Pettine.  This is no longer a DC thing, this is what MLF wants.  So really, it is on him.  We are going to bend and hope the offense commits a penalty that gets them behind the chains.  Until we get a two score lead, then we will get selectively aggressive.  And that is not a defense that wins championships.

3 hours ago, R T said:

Note to MLF, it took your starters 6 quarters to get into sync. Play them in the preseason and they won't look like **** to start the season. 

I agree................but if a starter, or worse, a difference maker, got injured in a preseason game, we would be seeing the opposite view put forth.

My personal preference is for starters to play one drive (provided it is more than a 3 and out) in the second preseason game and maybe 3 drives in the last preseason game, but I'm ok with those who view things more cautiously.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

If Barry stinks and stinks badly and our defense is bottom 12 at the midway point, yet our record gives us a chance, and we think somebody else would be an improvement…

This is the obvious move from any rational perspective. I hope that:

(1) Our defense doesn't suck that bad but if they do that

(2) MLF makes the right business decision to replace the guy in charge of that

I have always advocated new, or new-ish, head coach shuffling his coaches for his first few seasons. New head coaches never get the right coaches at every position, they have to fight for what they can get when they start. Therefore it stands to reason that in the next few seasons some coaches on offer in the next several seasons will be better than what they have at that time. This is particularly true of a coach who has done well (like La Fleur) and whose team is therefore a more attractive landing place for the more talented coaching prospects.

Of course if you get the REALLY talented young coaches, you probably lose them in a season or two to a higher level position elsewhere (unless you are able to promote them within your own organisation).

So if La Fleur moves on from Barry at the end of the season it's just part of improving his overall staff....................and if Barry turns out well, you keep him and are so much the better for it. As long as La Fleur isn't hanging on to poorly performing cronies, it's all fine.

One thing fans almost never talk about is the quality of the coaches. I don't know much about most of them. I like what Stenavich and Butkus have done (O line). Sirmans (RBs) and Outten (TEs) and Vrable (WRs) all seem decent or better. Jerry Gray (DBs and passing game coordinator) and Olivadotti (ILBs) might be good when you take into account what they work with. As for what fans think of them or the others, I'd be interested in what you think. Its a tough ask to rate coaches when such a big part of how they are viewed depends on who they have to work with.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive