Crazy Trade Idea Between The Lions and Dolphins

Just Want A Title

This probably sounds crazy given that it is week 1.  However, if you were the Lions would you consider trading Taylor Decker to the Dolphins for some sort of package of draft picks?  Would you consider making a trade involving Xavien Howard?  They have a ton of draft picks to play with and Xavien Howard isn't that happy there.  The Dolphins are closer to a Win-Now mode than they have been in a while.  Are there legitimate trade scenarios worth exploring? Thoughts?

Edited by Just Want A Title

12 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

This probably sounds crazy given that it is week 1.  However, if you were the Lions would you consider trading Taylor Decker to the Dolphins for some sort of package of draft picks?  Would you consider making a trade involving Xavien Howard?  They have a ton of draft picks to play with and Xavien Howard isn't that happy there.  The Dolphins are closer to a Win-Now mode than they have been in a while.  Are there legitimate trade scenarios worth exploring? Thoughts?

As I had stated previously, we would have 24M in dead cap if we move Decker this year.  I dont think there is any chance we move him this year.  Even next year there is $12M in dead money.  I wouldn't be opposed to trading for Howard, but probably after this season when we can use just picks or players and picks.  But also I am guessing Howard has no reason to want to come here right now. 

• Like 1

I would just prefer to have a position group we are settled with. With Decker at RT, we have book end tackles for what, the next 4-5 years.  When he's in his 30's we move on and bring in his replacement vs being forced to bring in a replacement now. After watching last nights game, I really think fixing the D and keeping the OL together is our fastest means of righting the ship.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I would just prefer to have a position group we are settled with. With Decker at RT, we have book end tackles for what, the next 4-5 years.  When he's in his 30's we move on and bring in his replacement vs being forced to bring in a replacement now. After watching last nights game, I really think fixing the D and keeping the OL together is our fastest means of righting the ship.

I agree with this.  Our defense needs work, our WRs need work.  We can compete in a short period of time if we can fix some of that.  Goff I still believe in and it will be hard to not be overly harsh on him but he really has no weapons to throw to.  I hope Trinity Benson gets a chance to show why we traded for him soon.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree with this.  Our defense needs work, our WRs need work.  We can compete in a short period of time if we can fix some of that.  Goff I still believe in and it will be hard to not be overly harsh on him but he really has no weapons to throw to.  I hope Trinity Benson gets a chance to show why we traded for him soon.  

I actually agree with you but since this is going to be a long season I figured it might fun to do a "what-if".  Trying to avoid way-to-early draft talk.

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I would rather stay put. The line looks like it could be really good. After all these years of incompetence it’s nice to see the position group have sufficient talent. Trading Decker simply means they have to find another tackle. 

As mentioned it’s also not a cap friendly move.

Yeah...no. 

Why trade Decker? 

Holmes/Campbell clearly want this team to be strong up front before they fill out the rest of the roster. If the team does get a rookie QB in the next year or two, having an offensive line built to protect him is probably the best thing that we can do. Decker isn't THAT expensive, he's still playing really well, and we don't have a capable replacement ready. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yeah, Benson wasn't ready to play in Week 1 imo. He and Goff weren't on the same page. I'd keep Decker. Good OL play is very important. Plus, picks aren't guaranteed to pan out. That's what the Rams figured out.

Interesting trade idea. In general I think having a better line means more than a better secondary. 

Specifically considering the Lions situation, like others have said, it's not really feasible and probably would be a step back. After 3 years of Quintricia and trading Stafford away we're already far enough back imo. 

Do y’all think he’d accept moving to RT? He’s been a good LT for awhile. He might see it as a slap in the face to lose his job to a rookie because of injury. Some see the move to RT as a demotion. 

Sewell did look pretty good at LT. I’ll admit I haven’t seen much of him at RT. How’s he looked there?

9 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Do y’all think he’d accept moving to RT? He’s been a good LT for awhile. He might see it as a slap in the face to lose his job to a rookie because of injury. Some see the move to RT as a demotion. 

Sewell did look pretty good at LT. I’ll admit I haven’t seen much of him at RT. How’s he looked there?

He’s still settling in on the right side.

• Like 1