Crazy Trade Idea Between The Lions and Dolphins

Just Want A Title

21 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

You gotta get 1st round plus value. Look what Laremey Tunsil brought... and he had a bong mask on. It's really not outrageous to ask for that considering Decker is signed and relatively young. Still 10 plus years for a playing career. 

Bengals are cheap but I'm sure they'd love him right now. All these teams would be in the mix imo with offers, Seahawks, Panthers, Jaguars, (Cough) Rams (Cough), Steelers.

I just don’t think I could trade him. It leaves the oline weak. Sort of weakening a strength to get picks which may or may not work out.

When Decker returns if they  can get the unit playing together I think everyone would reconsider trading Decker. It’s taken a long time to get an oline of this potential so blowing up, creating questionable depth doesn’t look like the right thing to do. I’m wrong a great deal of the time but I’ve been waiting decades for a management group that recognizes the importance of line play and is doing something about it. So…..😎……I may be a bit biased.

Now……(takes a sip of water, lites smoke) once the Lions draft strategy is determined, if they were to draft a tackle they believed in and had a good trade for Decker lined up that would be an effective move, I think. Your thoughts?

The best chance they have right now is fix any shortcomings they observe in line play this year. They have to get an edge somewhere. They need more pressure. Once they can protect Goff, establish a running game they need to find wideouts. Imagine, the Detroit Lions needing wideouts? It blows my mind. Wideouts…………they could draft one top FIVE, again! I don’t think these guys would do that, but……

The back 7……what can even be said. I don’t have the energy to list everything wrong back there.

Next years free agency signings.

1. CB, 2. CB, 3. CB……….good grief 

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

Looks like other people had the same thought:

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/24/is-detroit-ot-taylor-decker-a-realistic-trade-target-for-dolphins/

I doubt it will happen but who knows.

They didn't mention Howard in the article.  And I disagree with their thoughts on our window.  Decker is signed for 3 additional years and although I dont think we are SB contenders next year, the multiple first round picks the next two years put our window within the last couple years of his contract.  That being said, if they want to send a real offer, they are more than welcome.  I am truly interested in seeing what we could get.  His PFF scores have been higher the last 3 years than any year Tunsil had before he was traded, but I doubt we get that kind of return for him.  Decker is older but not old and has some solid years left.  He is also on a relatively friendly deal cap wise for a LT that has his numbers.  So would be interesting to see what we could get.  If made available, I am sure we would have multiple suitors.  It would be nice to get more picks next year and the year after but also I dont want a hole at RT.  Maybe getting Jackson or Eichenberg from Miami along with picks would be solid and give us something to work in at RT plus draft capital.  

Everyone here is assuming Sewell will be as good at RT as he is at LT which isn't the safest assumption.

You're watching something special too with him right now. He's doing incredible things if you look into his situation. Youngest LT ever to start in the NFL and is thriving. Hasn't given up a sack at LT since 2018.(sat out a year). He practiced all off-season at RT and had about 1 week to switch back, practice and played great against one of the best pass rushers the league has to offer. He's looking like a Walter Jones 2.0 LT. You don't move that guy around for Taylor Decker who's a top 3rd in the league LT but no HOF guy imo. That's what I think we're seeing with Sewell here, HOF type stuff. And comments through certain media guys who were former linemen suggest Decker isn't taking a back seat and moving to RT or LG. So, through no ones fault really we have a situation here...

The team would be no different than now other than you added draft capital from a trade with possibly other players added to this roster at other positions. Nelson hasn't been a total abomination at RT so far. And idk if anyone even notices Taylor Decker actually gone because of Sewell. Also Nelson's got lots of time to improve his game. The left side of the line to C is still very much intact. Sewell/Jackson/Ragnow/. RG is prolly the easiest position on the line to find, either sign/draft a guy. At RT we have Nelson who'll stick around likely for another season at least so you hope he's at minimum average and you can still bring in a guy through FA, plus draft a guy, Create lots of competition for the spot.. If he's better than average then great problem solved and we focus on RG. 

Like Idk if Lions can get a quality 1st rdp, but Cincy(Bengals) would give up back to back 2nd rpds sprinkled with some mid/later round picks in both years. That's something I think people can get behind on both sides.

• Like 1

I’m of the opinion Sewell is your new LT. that’s no fault of Decker, but it is what it is. You move decker to RT. If he refuses, you trade him, but it’s of deckers making. If he goes along, then you are set. The whole idea, for me at least,  was to put Sewell at rt because of his age and time off last year and to ease him in to groom him for the left. Guess what, he’s ready. Your LT of the future is here now. It’s Sewell spot now and give him this time to get the growing pains over with. We can compare deckers last 3 years to Sewell, but let’s compare Deckers rookie year to Sewell instead. Decker should either move to the right or ask for a trade IMO.

3 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I’m of the opinion Sewell is your new LT. that’s no fault of Decker, but it is what it is. You move decker to RT. If he refuses, you trade him, but it’s of deckers making. If he goes along, then you are set. The whole idea, for me at least,  was to put Sewell at rt because of his age and time off last year and to ease him in to groom him for the left. Guess what, he’s ready. Your LT of the future is here now. It’s Sewell spot now and give him this time to get the growing pains over with. We can compare deckers last 3 years to Sewell, but let’s compare Deckers rookie year to Sewell instead. Decker should either move to the right or ask for a trade IMO.

I wouldn’t do that. I don’t believe a player should lose his position because of injury. When Decker is ready, he comes back at LT. After he’s played a few games if the team wants Sewell at LT they have a conversation with Decker, privately. 

There is no immediacy for the Lions to do anything. They can let the oline play, and sort out what they want to do later.

• Like 1

Decker would be losing his position because the lions drafted his replacement and he’s further along on the left than on the right. Deckers injury showed Sewell is ready on the left now. To me, that changes things from an organizational point of view. I definitely think they have a conversation privately, but for what purpose after Sewell has already demonstrated he can play on the left? Do any of us honestly believe Sewell was taken at 7 during a rebuild to play the right? Decker is a place holder. That’s all. Move him to the right, be gentle about it if need be, and if doesn’t want it, allow him a trade similar to stafford.

*edit - he’s a place holder on the left and a damn good one. He’s a good left tackle, but I’d also feel he’d be elite on the right. I also agree there is no urgency to trade. But in a year to give rookies experience, that fits Sewell on the left better than him on the right and then transfer him over to the left a couple years later.

Edited by LionArkie

On 9/25/2021 at 12:28 PM, SimbaWho said:

Everyone here is assuming Sewell will be as good at RT as he is at LT which isn't the safest assumption.

You're watching something special too with him right now. He's doing incredible things if you look into his situation. Youngest LT ever to start in the NFL and is thriving. Hasn't given up a sack at LT since 2018.(sat out a year). He practiced all off-season at RT and had about 1 week to switch back, practice and played great against one of the best pass rushers the league has to offer. He's looking like a Walter Jones 2.0 LT. You don't move that guy around for Taylor Decker who's a top 3rd in the league LT but no HOF guy imo. That's what I think we're seeing with Sewell here, HOF type stuff. And comments through certain media guys who were former linemen suggest Decker isn't taking a back seat and moving to RT or LG. So, through no ones fault really we have a situation here...

The team would be no different than now other than you added draft capital from a trade with possibly other players added to this roster at other positions. Nelson hasn't been a total abomination at RT so far. And idk if anyone even notices Taylor Decker actually gone because of Sewell. Also Nelson's got lots of time to improve his game. The left side of the line to C is still very much intact. Sewell/Jackson/Ragnow/. RG is prolly the easiest position on the line to find, either sign/draft a guy. At RT we have Nelson who'll stick around likely for another season at least so you hope he's at minimum average and you can still bring in a guy through FA, plus draft a guy, Create lots of competition for the spot.. If he's better than average then great problem solved and we focus on RG. 

Like Idk if Lions can get a quality 1st rdp, but Cincy(Bengals) would give up back to back 2nd rpds sprinkled with some mid/later round picks in both years. That's something I think people can get behind on both sides.

I'm not ready to put Nelson in the category of being our future RT yet.  And I think most that want to keep Decker, are hoping he moves to the RT spot when he comes back.  Sewell has been good since Decker went out but he hasn't been as good as Decker at LT.  Decker is under rated and he isn't really making that much compared to his production.  He will be the 16-20th highest paid OT next year and then his salary drops the two following years that would put him in the 25th range now, and that will be lower once some more OTs get paid this offseason.  I think thats very reasonable for a really good OT and worth keeping around to make a strength a strength.  If he wants to be here, I want him to be here because we need some vets like that who are fully bought in to help keep the momentum going.  Continuing to trade away positive assets will never get us to the point of being better.  

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'm not ready to put Nelson in the category of being our future RT yet.  And I think most that want to keep Decker, are hoping he moves to the RT spot when he comes back.  Sewell has been good since Decker went out but he hasn't been as good as Decker at LT.  Decker is under rated and he isn't really making that much compared to his production.  He will be the 16-20th highest paid OT next year and then his salary drops the two following years that would put him in the 25th range now, and that will be lower once some more OTs get paid this offseason.  I think thats very reasonable for a really good OT and worth keeping around to make a strength a strength.  If he wants to be here, I want him to be here because we need some vets like that who are fully bought in to help keep the momentum going.  Continuing to trade away positive assets will never get us to the point of being better.  

Yeah, if Decker is willing to move to RT then trading him makes no sense at all. I'll piggy back anyone who's thinking along those lines.

You only trade Decker if he wont play RT or LG. Which at this point is a questionable thing. 

Nelson could kick inside and play RG and likely thrive solving a couple issues with a simple move if Decker is willing to do that.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2021 at 7:12 PM, LionArkie said:

Decker would be losing his position because the lions drafted his replacement and he’s further along on the left than on the right. Deckers injury showed Sewell is ready on the left now. To me, that changes things from an organizational point of view. I definitely think they have a conversation privately, but for what purpose after Sewell has already demonstrated he can play on the left? Do any of us honestly believe Sewell was taken at 7 during a rebuild to play the right? Decker is a place holder. That’s all. Move him to the right, be gentle about it if need be, and if doesn’t want it, allow him a trade similar to stafford.

*edit - he’s a place holder on the left and a damn good one. He’s a good left tackle, but I’d also feel he’d be elite on the right. I also agree there is no urgency to trade. But in a year to give rookies experience, that fits Sewell on the left better than him on the right and then transfer him over to the left a couple years later.

Sewell was taken because he was the best player available. It affords the Lions the opportunity to have bookend tackles for a number of years.

I don’t share your view. Decker is not a place holder. He is the LT of the Lions. Sewell played well but he isn’t as good as Decker, yet!

Everyone assumes Decker can just slide into right tackle or guard yet are impatient with Sewell on the right side. 

This debate is not only premature it makes no sense.

On 9/27/2021 at 1:35 PM, SimbaWho said:

Yeah, if Decker is willing to move to RT then trading him makes no sense at all. I'll piggy back anyone who's thinking along those lines.

You only trade Decker if he wont play RT or LG. Which at this point is a questionable thing. 

Nelson could kick inside and play RG and likely thrive solving a couple issues with a simple move if Decker is willing to do that.

So, let me make sure I understand. You’re concerned about Sewell at RT yet you support moving the Lions best LT to right tackle or guard. You assume Decker can play RT or guard yet won’t make the same assumptions about Sewell whom you seem to think is the better player. 

I certainly don’t support moving a very good LT to the right side because a highly drafted rookie has played a few games and looked okay. It’s not the right message to send the players. Years of quality play erased by a rookie who played okay for a few games.

Its curious to me that as soon as the Lions approach a level of competency in a position ( we’ve waited years for), fans want to blow it up.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

So, let me make sure I understand. You’re concerned about Sewell at RT yet you support moving the Lions best LT to right tackle or guard. You assume Decker can play RT or guard yet won’t make the same assumptions about Sewell whom you seem to think is the better player. 

I certainly don’t support moving a very good LT to the right side because a highly drafted rookie has played a few games and looked okay. It’s not the right message to send the players. Years of quality play erased by a rookie who played okay for a few games.

Its curious to me that as soon as the Lions approach a level of competency in a position ( we’ve waited years for), fans want to blow it up.

Yeah, we're not going to agree on this. 

As far as Sewell getting drafted as the best prospect, you are correct. And his position was LT where he excelled. Sewell himself has said LT and RT are not the same.

https://www.nfl.com/news/lions-rookie-penei-sewell-admits-moving-to-right-tackle-not-that-easy

I get where you are coming from and when I said Decker was a place holder, well it was worded badly in which I tried to correct in an edit. When I say place holder, I mean for the next couple of years. I don't think anyone here thinks in five years time, Decker will still be on the left and Sewell will be on the right. If we were competitive today, I would say keep Decker on the left and Sewell on the right...but we are not. If the whole thing is to prepare for 2022 and beyond, I say take the growing pains of Sewell on the left today rather than getting him acclimated to the right, possibly hurt his confidence, and when we are competetive make him adjust back to the left. I don't understand why you would do that especially since he is "okay" at the left.

And yes, we are assuming an experienced NFL LT can adjust to the right, but he already has his confidence. I don't think you're going to hurt it. I have always thought Decker would be an elite RT. So with the mindset of Decker being an elite RT, I believe the Lions with Sewell LT and Decker RT > than Decker LT and Sewell RT. This is a compliment to Decker and his skill set.

As far as sending the messages to the vets, well so far it has been all about getting rookies time to play and gain experience so I think it doesn't send that the message you think it will. The only message I think it sends is we are building for tomorrow.

I also don't know what we're blowing up? All things out of camp was Sewell didn't look good on the right at all and was struggling. He hasn't on the left so...by putting him in a better position to succeed and where he has performed better is blowing it up? Sorry I disagree. Ultimately, I'm betting Decker is better at right than Sewell is and that Sewell is better at the Left than he is on the right.

In the end, it's a good problem to have. But in a year that is all about growing pains and rookies, I'd prefer to let the rookies get the reps at their intended future positions rather than experiment with them, possibly just to transition them back later.

In the end, I fully expect the Lions will do exactly what you want them to do. I just don't think it is the right move.

Edited by LionArkie