Crazy Trade Idea Between The Lions and Dolphins

Just Want A Title

On 10/5/2021 at 2:14 PM, diehardlionfan said:

I watched, did you? He had good guard play and a TE.

Oh yeah I been watching. First two games I really thought he looked great. Ravens he looked like a rookie, nothing terrible but nothing in the game to hang his hat on. Then this last game against the Bears he looked flat out bad. Nothing to write home about.

The comment was more in reference to games moving forward rather than the first 3(when posted) now 4. I wasn't suggesting go back and watch him, I'm sure you've been paying attention the whole time.

Edited by SimbaWho

16 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

I vote Sewell stays at LT. Move Decker to RT for a year or two then G and let his contract run out and move on. This team is so low on talent its insane....

Why move Decker to a G?  You mention we are low on talent but Decker is one of the most talented we have right now.  If he can play RT at he same level he played LT, he should be a pro bowler every year but likely wont because he is a Lion. 

10 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Why move Decker to a G?  You mention we are low on talent but Decker is one of the most talented we have right now.  If he can play RT at he same level he played LT, he should be a pro bowler every year but likely wont because he is a Lion. 

What would your thoughts be if we:

a) Traded Decker mid-season (he's not happy with a switch to RT, wants to be moved to a potential contender, etc.)

b) Drafted an OT with our top 10 pick in 2022

13 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

What would your thoughts be if we:

a) Traded Decker mid-season (he's not happy with a switch to RT, wants to be moved to a potential contender, etc.)

b) Drafted an OT with our top 10 pick in 2022

I think that would be dumb tbh.  We would have a strength on the OL if we keep both.  And I am sure they can make it work either way.  Trading one to draft another feels foolish when the hope is that the draft pick is as good as Decker has been. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think that would be dumb tbh.  We would have a strength on the OL if we keep both.  And I am sure they can make it work either way.  Trading one to draft another feels foolish when the hope is that the draft pick is as good as Decker has been. 

I'm proposing it more so as: Decker wants out. He's already gone. 

Would it make sense to spend a high end pick and keep the OL as a positive or use the top 10 resource in another area?

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

Would it make sense to spend a high end pick and keep the OL as a positive or use the top 10 resource in another area?

Perhaps but I still think there may be bigger issues on the team.  If the BPA aligns than maybe.  

Side note, I don't see Decker demanding out.  If he does and Sewell isn't a lot better the next few games you switch them back.  He seems like a guy who loves being here and its good to have that leadership and veteran body around with all of the youth.  I think the safer option is to make sure Decker doesn't feel this way.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

For me I think it would come back to how Sewell performs. At the end of the season, you will have enough tape to get a better idea of what you have. So I hold a similar view as Sllim on this.

37 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

For me I think it would come back to how Sewell performs. At the end of the season, you will have enough tape to get a better idea of what you have. So I hold a similar view as Sllim on this.

Let's say that Sewell has performed well enough to warrant a stay at LT. Whether that's because he's better suited at LT vs RT, performs lights out as a top 10 LT, etc. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Let's say that Sewell has performed well enough to warrant a stay at LT. Whether that's because he's better suited at LT vs RT, performs lights out as a top 10 LT, etc. 

Here is my position on it, the whole of it.  If the Lions brass feels the team is better with Sewell at LT and Decker at RT and Decker refuses to play RT and says "get me LT or get me out" then to me, Decker is not a team player I want on the team. Nor is it a player I want mentoring all the guys who might look up to him, especially Sewell at 20 years old. So I have a decision to make, do I put him back at LT or trade him? So my return better be good or Decker will be on the team playing RT for the next 4 years as he has already signed the contract at a LT rate.  If this was his contract year, I'd feel differently, but it's year one into it and it was going to be the biggest contract he probably gets over his career (generalizing statement -- I know).  If I feel his attitude damages the team, I trade him and take the BPA and also know I have developed an unnecessary hole in the team and made a strength of this team, the identity of this team, weaker overall. If the BPA is a tackle then I'd be fine with it, but that BPA rookie is not going to be as good as Decker is now in year one. I would still preferably take defense if my BPA was between an OT and DL.

The whole idea still makes this team worse overall, imo.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1