Clay Helton Fired, Donte Williams Interim HC at USC

JammerHammer21

2 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

sure

This may not be as true with NIL changing up the game, but I'd rather be a high level college HC than an NFL HC. Bieniemy makes a ton of sense, and is the type of hire USC should be gunning for.

I don't think either side would be unreasonable in taking it.

Though tbh being the KC OC with Mahomes for the next 12 years ain't bad.

7 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

i kinda wanna see that happen for the laughs but i doubt they hire an unproven hc. 

Idk man he seems like the perfect fit for USC. They need someone who would embrace that SoCal life style and that would easily be what He could do. Carroll did so and it helped that program take off. Need a guy who embraces the surrounding area off the field. Also he has had all His glory, so it’s not like he would need to use his new status to get things he wants like Kiffen did IMO. 

He might be an unproven HC but with that program and his connections, he prolly could put together one hell of a coaching staff 

Its PrimeTime in USC

Edited by buno67

Jack Del Rio would make a ton of sense for USC. He's a USC alumni that's in their football hall of fame, has expressed interest in the job in the past, and has had success as a DC/HC in the NFL. He'd need to bring some great recruiters with him but I think that he could definitely do well. 

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

Idk man he seems like the perfect fit for USC. They need someone who would embrace that SoCal life style and that would easily be what He could do. Carroll did so and it helped that program take off. Need a guy who embraces the surrounding area off the field. Also he has had all His glory, so it’s not like he would need to use his new status to get things he wants like Kiffen did IMO. 

He might be an unproven HC but with that program and his connections, he prolly could put together one hell of a coaching staff 

Its PrimeTime in USC

USC hired Andy Enfield to coach their basketball program who only had 2 years of head coaching experience at Florida Gulf Coast. That hire has worked out pretty well for them. I think Deion Sanders would definitely be able to recruit very well at USC. 

14 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This may not be as true with NIL changing up the game, but I'd rather be a high level college HC than an NFL HC. Bieniemy makes a ton of sense, and is the type of hire USC should be gunning for.

I don't think either side would be unreasonable in taking it.

Though tbh being the KC OC with Mahomes for the next 12 years ain't bad.

I'd rather be a NFL HC. Recruiting sounds miserable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I'd rather be a NFL HC. Recruiting sounds miserable.

As an assistant working 100 hour weeks, absolutely. As a HC overseeing those people remotely where all you have to do is be on call, or show up to close a kid? I'd take that over the NFL grind, especially given the inherent advantages in college where I could conceivably spend 10 years there without being a Hall of Famer type coach.

Granted, I didn't want to frame this as a right-wrong answer thing. It's a personal priority like any job choice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

USC hired Andy Enfield to coach their basketball program who only had 2 years of head coaching experience at Florida Gulf Coast. That hire has worked out pretty well for them. I think Deion Sanders would definitely be able to recruit very well at USC. 

The biggest aspect with a HC is truly getting the guys to truly buy into you and the program. Deion with his history as a player/athlete and what he is doing now, shows he can get guys to buy in IMO. For him, it would be about building the right staff. It would just suck for the guys who bought into him now to watch him leave

23 minutes ago, buno67 said:

The biggest aspect with a HC is truly getting the guys to truly buy into you and the program. Deion with his history as a player/athlete and what he is doing now, shows he can get guys to buy in IMO. For him, it would be about building the right staff. It would just suck for the guys who bought into him now to watch him leave

SWAC to the Pac 12 is a huge jump though. 

I think USC would be wise and will pursue a guy who fits the laid back L.A. Hollywood culture, which is a borderline circus (See: The Pete Carroll years). I think that effectively eliminates Luke Fickell, who is a consummate Midwest guy.

That said, I think it would be funny and would enjoy James Franklin being the guy at USC, and then Fickell taking over Penn State, which would low key be terrifying for the rest of the B1G IMO.