Mason Rudolph | QB | Oklahoma State

Da_Ducktator

Was a mild fan of Rudolph when watching him casually, but I went back and looked at a few of his games today and was disappointed overall. I rarely saw the guy step up into the pocket (though he does occasionally) and drive it. Throwing the ball outside the numbers was generally disappointing in my book. Saw a lot of floaters on just 10-yard outs. Granted, I think he doesn't throw with a wide enough base and I don't see him rotating his front foot towards his target often, so that could be sapping some arm strength.

Overall, although his numbers are exceptional, I'm not sure I would even label him a top 100 guy right now. Leaves a lot to be desired. Curious to see what others have to say regarding him.

Also, Rudolph has two great weapons. James Washington gets all the pub, but I'm not so sure Marcell Ateman is far behind. Ateman has been making tough, contested catches all year. Not as quick and fast as Washington, but the guy has hands and a great frame. Also, his dad was a very good basketball player for a couple years at Western Illinois so he has some solid bloodlines.

2 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Was a mild fan of Rudolph when watching him casually, but I went back and looked at a few of his games today and was disappointed overall. I rarely saw the guy step up into the pocket (though he does occasionally) and drive it. Throwing the ball outside the numbers was generally disappointing in my book. Saw a lot of floaters on just 10-yard outs. Granted, I think he doesn't throw with a wide enough base and I don't see him rotating his front foot towards his target often, so that could be sapping some arm strength.

Overall, although his numbers are exceptional, I'm not sure I would even label him a top 100 guy right now. Leaves a lot to be desired. Curious to see what others have to say regarding him.

Also, Rudolph has two great weapons. James Washington gets all the pub, but I'm not so sure Marcell Ateman is far behind. Ateman has been making tough, contested catches all year. Not as quick and fast as Washington, but the guy has hands and a great frame. Also, his dad was a very good basketball player for a couple years at Western Illinois so he has some solid bloodlines.

Rudolph as a late 2nd or 3rd round pick is a steal, probably not a 1st round guy but not that far behind some of those other guys.  Does need to get his release quicker and make more quick decisions with the football.  Has trouble when pressured like most QBs, but when he gets time is very good at throwing the deep ball, sure the ball floats at time but he has good touch on his passes and allows the WR to go get it and get under it.  But not does not have a laser arm either.  Has fine size and a good enough arm, decent pro prospect just not super elite, but if given time at the next level could turn out to be a solid player down the road.

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Rudolph as a late 2nd or 3rd round pick is a steal

You say this but your eval doesn't sound as glowing. I think QBs are the hardest to round grade and the biggest problem being that it's the most important position on the field and they are hard to come by. So, this leads to guys like Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert going top 15 because of potential despite horrendous mechanics, and then even on the other end of the spectrum, guys like Christian Ponder going 1st round and Jimmy Clausen going 2nd round because they played in a pro-style system and were regarded as high football IQ prospects who could be solid game managers despite lack of great tools. 

For me, I don't want to take a guy top 100 if I don't believe he has a chance to be a solid starter someday. Mason Rudolph I don't believe can be a solid starter. Seems like a smart kid and I commend him for staying for his senior year as well. But I see a poor man's Tom Savage (or Tom Savage without an elite, natural arm). Base is out of whack on throws and I don't see the ability to step up in the pocket or work effectively with trash around their feet. He's a 4th-5th rounder for me because I think he could be an okay, game manager type backup.

Pretty much nailed it there.  He's a system's QB whose got some skills that translate to the next level, but not nearly enough to feel comfortable with him.  The pocket presence is probably the one thing that alarms me, as he tends to get lost when there's pressure.  His eyes immediately drop when he starts to feel pressure.  And he doesn't really drive the ball either, which is a bit alarming.

There's just nothing that excites me about Rudolph as a prospect. It amazes me that CBS has him as like their number one overall guy and I see people on here in love with him all the time. I just don't see it. There are a couple of things that I kind of like, but largely, he's just sort of...okay. I think for the most part,  he's a pretty average quarterback who benefits greatly from a system that makes quarterbacks look great and some really nice complimentary pieces. Big XII + that system leads to amazing production, even for average quarterbacks. He's got great size, but his arm is just average. He throws into some tighter windows than I was expecting the first time I watched him, which was nice, but he very rarely, if ever looks at the entire field. I saw him do it three times in the first couple of games this year, and twice it ended very poorly and he looked awful doing it. He''s not a statue, but he's nowhere close to the likes of some of these guys with their mobility and honestly, I don't think that he deals with pressure a whole lot. . I don't know if he will process the speed of the NFL, or it's complexities, which is something I don't feel like he has to work on much.  I feel like 3rd round or so is about right though, because there is some upside there, and he does have some things that will translate well. Some nice touch on his passes at times, familiarity with some NFL throws such as deep outs, which I do think that he handles pretty well. 

On 10/27/2017 at 8:32 AM, Da_Ducktator said:

You say this but your eval doesn't sound as glowing. I think QBs are the hardest to round grade and the biggest problem being that it's the most important position on the field and they are hard to come by. So, this leads to guys like Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert going top 15 because of potential despite horrendous mechanics, and then even on the other end of the spectrum, guys like Christian Ponder going 1st round and Jimmy Clausen going 2nd round because they played in a pro-style system and were regarded as high football IQ prospects who could be solid game managers despite lack of great tools. 

For me, I don't want to take a guy top 100 if I don't believe he has a chance to be a solid starter someday. Mason Rudolph I don't believe can be a solid starter. Seems like a smart kid and I commend him for staying for his senior year as well. But I see a poor man's Tom Savage (or Tom Savage without an elite, natural arm). Base is out of whack on throws and I don't see the ability to step up in the pocket or work effectively with trash around their feet. He's a 4th-5th rounder for me because I think he could be an okay, game manager type backup.

I hated Blaine Gabbert when he came out and greatly disliked Jake Locker outside of his toughness.  Ponder had a weak arm but did some things on Florida State but yes when teams need QBs they will draft them regardless.  Ponder was overrated I think because everyone thought he was so smart and could pick things up so quickly, but he was not all that football smart rather book smart.  Sure QBs are over drafted but what else is new.  Rudolph I feel could be a good starter potentially in the NFL, and especially if people underrate him and he goes in the 3rd or 4th round or something, given time to develop he could become a great project developmental starter drafted later in the draft.  He has been very consistent over a very long period of time and despite throwing a ton of passes does not usually throw a ton of interceptions.  

Is a different player this week with a healthy offensive line blocking for him.  Do want to see more out of him when the pressure is on coming at him thought for sure.  Everyone has things they need to improve on but with Rudolph, the touch he has on his passes, his size and his consistently throwing the football not throwing a lot of interceptions makes him interesting.  

Anybody else watch the West Virginia game? I went back and took a look and didn't see a single NFL throw. It also starts to become increasingly evident that he rarely looks to the opposite side of the field. I saw one pass travel past 15 yards, and that was the last TD to James Washington, a fade in which he under-threw and forced Washington to make a good catch. He leads Washington on the play, it's an easy six. Washington beat his man, had the whole end-zone to drop it into, but throws it near the goal-line and forces Washington have to jump with the defender having a chance to knock it away.

46 minutes ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Anybody else watch the West Virginia game? I went back and took a look and didn't see a single NFL throw. It also starts to become increasingly evident that he rarely looks to the opposite side of the field. I saw one pass travel pass 15 yards, and that was the last TD to James Washington, a fade in which he under-threw and forced Washington to make a good catch. He leads Washington on the play, it's an easy six. Washington beat his man, had the whole end-zone to drop it into, but throws it near the goal-line and forces Washington have to jump with the defender having a chance to knock it away.

One of my biggest issues with him. I've seen him do it a couple of times this season, but it's largely due to a pass rush flushing him out to the opposite side of where his initial read was. He's still not turning his head left / right. They also tend to go very poorly lol

Just some quotes regarding Rudolph from a Yahoo article today about the quarterback class:

“I think he’s robotic in what he does, he’s a seven-on-seven quarterback,” an executive said. “When he’s got time and can check the runners on first and third [downs], he’s good. But when the game speeds up, his accuracy declines. When the game gets faster, it’s harder for him to process.”

Another executive saw Rudolph play well live this year and still wasn’t impressed. (Sage) Rosenfels sees a struggle in his transition: “He just didn’t seem like a guy who spun it. The ball doesn’t come out very well. He also has unbelievable wide receivers, as James Washington is one of the two or three best receivers in the country. He’ll make anyone look good. I haven’t seen the accuracy and the ball doesn’t come out well.”

I'll also reiterate while Washington is a fascinating receiver, I still think Marcell Ateman is still criminally underrated. Guy has been playing like a top 100 prospect.

3 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Just some quotes regarding Rudolph from a Yahoo article today about the quarterback class:

I'll also reiterate while Washington is a fascinating receiver, I still think Marcell Ateman is still criminally underrated. Guy has been playing like a top 100 prospect.

Ateman is a decent prospect and will be a mid round draft pick, but that offense hurts a lot more when Washington is not in there compared to Ateman.  There are a decent number of big body receivers that would do just fine on Oklahoma State if they were there in place of Ateman of course.  A lot of guys who can go up and get the football like Ateman can,  must say Ateman is playing the best football of his career and it is easily his best season so far, has done really well this year for sure.

Courtland Sutton SMU 

Equanimeous St. Brown Notre Dame 

Simmie Cobbs Jr Indiana 

Allen Lazard Iowa State

Jake Wieneke South Dakota State

Marquez Valdes-Scantling USF

Darren Carrington Utah

I would take Cobbs over Ateman, and I would say Ateman is middle of this pack of big receivers, slightly above Lazard.

Archived