Week 2 GDT - Philadelphia Eagles vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Getting off to a 1-0 start is always a good feeling....But unfortunately that was a costly win at Detroit that could end up hurting the team badly. Oh well, on to Philly........

I know at the beginning of the season, many penciled this in as a win for the team. But the Eagles have the type of DL that will always give this offense issues. They also have a solid starting corner duo and Anthony Harris is a proven safety in this league. Where they have weaknesses is at LB and I fully expect Shanny to take advantage of that but this game will not be easy.

Offensively, as I mentioned will be tough with that DL. The Eagles were dominant vs the Falcons but even if they aren't as good as they looked in that game, we saw last season how many issues they gave our offense. The personnel is still the same and they are just a handful to deal with. I wonder if we see more Lance/Sermon packages this week and try to get the power game going? Running those stretch plays against this team may prove to be tough. Slay and Nelson are not a bad duo so they should be able to hold their own vs Deebo/Aiyuk, but I don't think they have an answer for Kittle. He's going to be a matchup nightmare for the Eagles defense and will need to be featured more and not pass block as much as he did vs Detroit. Expect Shanny to try to isolate Kittle vs their LBs or safeties all game long. Jimmy showed good pocket awareness on Sunday and will need to show that and some more as he will most certainly be pressured far more. McGlinchey vs Graham is the match up to watch...We all saw what Graham did to him last season. 

Defensively, we certainly have some question marks at the corner position, especially if Moseley is once again a no go. I doubt Kirkpatrick will play so Norman should be getting the start if Moseley can't go. That itself is questionable, especially where Norman is at this stage of his career. Lenoir played well vs the Detroit WRs, but he will be seeing a whole a lot of Smith this week and it will be a much harder match up for him. Excited to see how the two rooks fare against each other. Hockenson got a lot of catches against us but a lot of those were just in soft zone coverage, especially in the 2nd half but fair to say the defense will have to play Goedert better than they played Hockenson. I want to see Warner matched up more in coverage instead of dropping 15 yards back and playing zone. I don't think Ryans utilized him the way he should have last week. The defense didn't blitz much either and a few times that they did, the Lions were able to call the perfect blitz beaters. I think you have to blitz Hurts, but that's obviously a risk as he can get to the outside and kill the defense with his legs. Greenlaw may not play this week with a groin injury so that means we see more of Al-Shaair but I hope it doesn't mean we see more of Flannagin-Fowles. I'd actually like to see Tartt come in the box and play Hufanga next to Ward. You can go with Harris as well but I would like to at least on certain downs try Tartt in the box. Kinlaw may or may not go so that will put the run defense in a tough position again. He's the only tackle that can hold a double team or won't get totally washed away from one. I expect Bosa to get better and better with the more he plays and the more he gets his legs under him. He should get another sack or two and make his fair share plays at the LOS. 

I think this will be a tight game for majority of the game but a late score will ice the game for us.

49ers 30

Eagles 20 

• Like 1

Time to find out if Philly is good or if Atlanta is really bad. I still don't know if I believe in Hurts yet, TBH. The Eagles have a great group of skill guys and an O-line that's still good. The D-line isn't what it used to be, but still pretty good. 

Ryans needs a solid game plan to contain Hurts and force him to beat us with his arm and not his legs.

20 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Time to find out if Philly is good or if Atlanta is really bad. I still don't know if I believe in Hurts yet, TBH. The Eagles have a great group of skill guys and an O-line that's still good. The D-line isn't what it used to be, but still pretty good. 

Ryans needs a solid game plan to contain Hurts and force him to beat us with his arm and not his legs.

Week 1's are always going to be a bit fluky. It could be that Philly is not that good and the Falcons aren't as bad as they looked. It's probably in the middle somewhere. Philly has talent but I don't see them as one of the top contenders in the conference...If the Niners are, then they should be able to pull this off one way or another. Sunday we saw another sloppy and slow start, but that tends to happen to WC teams in the first quarter of early start games. That should not be a problem on Sunday though since the team is staying out at West Virginia. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Week 1's are always going to be a bit fluky. It could be that Philly is not that good and the Falcons aren't as bad as they looked. It's probably in the middle somewhere. Philly has talent but I don't see them as one of the top contenders in the conference...If the Niners are, then they should be able to pull this off one way or another. Sunday we saw another sloppy and slow start, but that tends to happen to WC teams in the first quarter of early start games. That should not be a problem on Sunday though since the team is staying out at West Virginia. 

I don't think very highly of the Falcon's roster this year, so I wasn't surprised to see them look that bad. I'm not sure what to think of the Eagles yet, but I pegged them as a 4-7 win team this year, depending on what Hurts looks like, but overall, I don't expect him to look amazing. 

IMO, It's going to be all about containment this weekend.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That split is still not good at all. Armstead needs close to 40-50% of his rushes from the inside.

A good part of that was our failure at getting clean stops on first and second down. We negated big plays, but struggled with defensive tackle gap integrity *cough* Kevin Givens and also Zach Kerr that one time *cough* on split zone inside runs and weren't able to contest enough shorter passes to get into true pass rush downs. Part of playing 90+ plays on defense is that there were turnovers on offense. The other part was that we played a bend-but-don't-break game plan and spent all game bending with only a couple of the big plays that allow such a game plan to not get worn down (the sacks, the pick-6, one nice Bosa TFL). The old Fangio 9ers would do the same thing, but you need to nab a sack or make a tackle more quickly than expected or really bust up a run play more often or your defense just lives on the field allowing the offense to make the easiest plays over and over again. Before Varrett went out, the Lions poo-poo platter of WRs could not hurt us. But we were in quarters and quarter-quarter-half and cover 3 and cover 3 Mable almost all of the time. We gave them a ton of respect and Goff did what he likes to do - check the ball down over and over again. I don't mind it so much in this game - we didn't reveal any of our interesting stuff against a Lions team we expected to beat - but we've got to mix things up more or execute more fiercely against better opposition or things are going to look 2018ish on defense more often than they do 2019ish. For one, Jalen Hurts was very good at executing a gameplan with an ADoT of around 4 yards in week 1 and will enjoy taking easy completions that don't test his ability to be accurate in difficult windows. He'll also enjoy the light boxes against his legs. 

• Like 1

So both this year and last, we start with away games on artificial turf; and both times, we have season-ending injuries. Not liking this at all. No one has gotten the clue that turf can create TOO much traction and not enough give. So, it's joints that give out when too much torque is applied. 

And yes, I am aware that both JV and Mostert have extensive injury history. Still believe the above applies.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

The funny thing is that pff was infatuated with him and gave him a bunch of pressures when in truth I barely noticed him

I always wait for the coaches film to see who really was creating pressure or not...Pressures especially is one of the most subjective stats. 

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I always wait for the coaches film to see who really was creating pressure or not...Pressures especially is one of the most subjective stats. 

According to NBC Sports, it sounds like the NFL might do an open beta for All 22 before the end of the week or by early next week at the latest.

Praying The Office GIF