WEEK 2: UNDEFEATED 1-0 Denver Broncos @ 0-1 Jacksonville Jaguars - 11.00am MDT /// 1.00pm EDT

lomaxgrUK

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Another win. Another win against a team we should beat. A little slow to start but that is likely the early game after traveling east. 

We have another cupcake next week against the Jets and it’s at home in the afternoon. Maybe we can finally get through a game healthy and we should win easily. 

You can’t argue with 2-0 but injures, of significance, are mounting (which will give the apologists an excuse if things go badly at some point) and we have yet to play a serious contender, or even a pretender. The 2009 McDaniels/Orton team started 6-0 before the wheels came off. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen this year. 

The Paton/Ellis goal of playing meaningful football in November and December appears to be within reach after two weeks. We won two games we should win and have a cupcake next week. 3-0 should keep us in the mix during the holidays. 

Up to that point in my fandom (I’m 32) that 2009 season was probably the worst i had  experienced as a fan.

Im convinced that year, however, we were doomed to fail after the poop jerseys 

Edited by Zukhyubern

What Nolan did in those first 6 games is as impressive as any defensive coaching you’ll see IMO. That was not a very talented defense. A year later, that was the worst defense in football. 

This team has a lot more talent and isn’t coached by a child tyrant. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 2

I think the impressive thing about the start to the season is that we’re 2-0 and haven’t really looked like losing either game despite also not really looking like we are out of third gear.

Hopefully more of the same against the Jets next week before we really get to test ourselves against AFC playoff contenders. 

Here's something I found that's pretty interesting. Prior to today, only 3 times in NFL history has a QB started a season with back to back games with 2TD's no picks and a completion % above 75%. Brees, Rodgers and Jeff George. Now we can add Teddy to the mix.

Few other thoughts off the top of my head:

* Bryce Callahan had a superb game. He's such a big player for us if he can stay healthy

* I mentioned a lot this offseason how I was concerned with our interior DL - I still stand by that. We NEED more pocket collapsing with gap integrity. It seems the only time we get inside pressure is on stunts/games. That won't cut it against teams with QBs that can scramble (Chiefs, Chargers).
I was frequently told Agim was the answer - he can't even get himself active on gameday right now

* Special Teams didn't just cost us a TD - they cost us maybe our 2nd best Defensive player this season. There is no way a 3 down LB should have to play Punt Coverage. Well, our unit(s) suck that bad that Jewell had to play Punt coverage and he got hurt doing so. Not ideal

* I love pretty much everything about Javonte Williams. But it's his demeanor that impresses me the most. You can just tell it isn't too big for him. He doesn't get too high after a good run, or too low after a bad one.
He plays what I would call 'smart physical', in that he knows when it is required to seek contact (for first downs, extra yardage required) but he also knows how to protect himself against unnecessary contact (fighting for 1-3 yards after obtaining a 1st down)

* I hammered our interior OL at half time, but they seemed to dramatically improve in the 2nd half. I think our time of possession advantage really began to tell, so props to them for the improvement

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Few other thoughts off the top of my head:

* Bryce Callahan had a superb game. He's such a big player for us if he can stay healthy

* I mentioned a lot this offseason how I was concerned with our interior DL - I still stand by that. We NEED more pocket collapsing with gap integrity. It seems the only time we get inside pressure is on stunts/games. That won't cut it against teams with QBs that can scramble (Chiefs, Chargers).
I was frequently told Agim was the answer - he can't even get himself active on gameday right now

* Special Teams didn't just cost us a TD - they cost us maybe our 2nd best Defensive player this season. There is no way a 3 down LB should have to play Punt Coverage. Well, our unit(s) suck that bad that Jewell had to play Punt coverage and he got hurt doing so. Not ideal

* I love pretty much everything about Javonte Williams. But it's his demeanor that impresses me the most. You can just tell it isn't too big for him. He doesn't get too high after a good run, or too low after a bad one.
He plays what I would call 'smart physical', in that he knows when it is required to seek contact (for first downs, extra yardage required) but he also knows how to protect himself against unnecessary contact (fighting for 1-3 yards after obtaining a 1st down)

* I hammered our interior OL at half time, but they seemed to dramatically improve in the 2nd half. I think our time of possession advantage really began to tell, so props to them for the improvement

Javonte Williams is a bad man. He's going to be a very good RB in this league. The way he absorbs contact, stays balanced and pushes forward is so impressive. He did it a lot in college and I'm glad to see that style of play continuing in the NFL.

Agree with your other points George. Especially the point about ST. Should not be in a position to have Jewell out there, and it cost us. The coaching and the personnel in this area are just horrendous at the moment. There's no two ways about it.

To the IDL point, I'd love to see us make a splash at this position next offseason. Whether that's via the draft or in FA. We simply need someone to be disruptive up the gut. I think Dre'Mont and Shelby are good players, but they're not consistent pressure guys (though Shelby typically impacts the game in other ways). Agim isn't playing. We need something out of the guys we have, especially if Chubb is hurt.

Also- this is why we don't trade Tim Patrick. He's such a consistent, solid player for us. Guy comes up with big catches, touchdowns, first downs, and has done this through his career. He's exactly the kind of WR you want alongside some younger guys still finding their footing (Hamler).

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

To the IDL point, I'd love to see us make a splash at this position next offseason. Whether that's via the draft or in FA. We simply need someone to be disruptive up the gut. I think Dre'Mont and Shelby are good players, but they're not consistent pressure guys (though Shelby typically impacts the game in other ways). Agim isn't playing. We need something out of the guys we have, especially if Chubb is hurt.

Yeh, the position is in need of drastic attention in my eyes. I think I called it the most pressing need of this team at the start of the offseason.

They aren't easy to find. It would be an absolute game changer if we could somehow find a mid-round steal like we got with Malik Jackson.

10 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Also- this is why we don't trade Tim Patrick. He's such a consistent, solid player for us. Guy comes up with big catches, touchdowns, first downs, and has done this through his career. He's exactly the kind of WR you want alongside some younger guys still finding their footing (Hamler).

I hope he gets a payday from someone next Summer. I fear for players of his ilk a little, in that there is such a surplus of WRs these days (kids don't want to play RB any more), but he is definitely deserving of a multi-year deal. He's also quite old for someone hitting UFA.

Who knows - he might get a deal from us. If he's willing to settle for a 2 year, $18m deal that is fully guaranteed, we might bring him back.

But I fear (and kinda hope) he will get something like 3 years, $33m and $24m guaranteed. He's a better player than Aghalor who got 2 years, $22m.

8 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Here's something I found that's pretty interesting. Prior to today, only 3 times in NFL history has a QB started a season with back to back games with 2TD's no picks and a completion % above 75%. Brees, Rodgers and Jeff George. Now we can add Teddy to the mix.

I dont want to get too far ahead of it because lets be honest, playing the Giants/Jags/Jets who are all 0-2 isnt exactly the most difficult task, but Teddy seems to be having a season this year that the Broncos thought they were going to get with Case Keenum a few years back. Hes surprised the crap out of me and his calm demeanor in the pocket is something I havent seen since PM.

You dont feel like he is going to panic and throw a bad pass when he gets pressured--which is a lovely change of pace.