WEEK 2: UNDEFEATED 1-0 Denver Broncos @ 0-1 Jacksonville Jaguars - 11.00am MDT /// 1.00pm EDT

lomaxgrUK

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

So Surtain in his first start gets the tough PI call, but also gets a pick and a pass deflection on a critical 2 point attempt. Did he give up anything outside of the PI? 

As per PFF:

"Patrick Surtain II is here, and he’s legit. He was targeted seven times on the day and allowed only three catches for 30 yards with a pick. Of those three catches, only one went for a first down."

Not a bad start.

They also gave Cush a shoutout for his pass pro:

"Lloyd Cushenberry III had one of the best days of his young career as a pass-blocker.

Cushenberry was one of the lowest-graded pass-protecting centers in the league as a rookie and allowed two pressures last week against the Giants. he didn't allow a single pressure on 40 pass-blocking snaps this week, though."

My comments in game were in reference to his run blocking rather than pass pro. I can see the All 22 from the Giants game is available, so hopefully I can get into the Jags film this week.

22 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont want to get too far ahead of it because lets be honest, playing the Giants/Jags/Jets who are all 0-2 isnt exactly the most difficult task, but Teddy seems to be having a season this year that the Broncos thought they were going to get with Case Keenum a few years back. Hes surprised the crap out of me and his calm demeanor in the pocket is something I havent seen since PM.

You dont feel like he is going to panic and throw a bad pass when he gets pressured--which is a lovely change of pace.

Agreed- have to always temper enthusiasm based on the competition, but on the flipside, this isn't college where we're playing a D-2 school or something. We're beating teams we're supposed to beat, relatively convincingly by the way, with very good QB play. Can't ignore that fact. Teddy is definitely a smooth operator. He doesn't have the athletic upside of Lock, but he's clearly got control of the offense. I've seen more sustained drives, and frankly more points, than I've seen the last few years

• Like 2

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Agreed- have to always temper enthusiasm based on the competition, but on the flipside, this isn't college where we're playing a D-2 school or something. We're beating teams we're supposed to beat, relatively convincingly by the way, with very good QB play. Can't ignore that fact. Teddy is definitely a smooth operator. He doesn't have the athletic upside of Lock, but he's clearly got control of the offense. I've seen more sustained drives, and frankly more points, than I've seen the last few years

Athletic upside in a QB has become so overrated. If you cant diagnose the field, you can be one of the best athletes in the game and still be a nothing at QB. Logan Thomas is 6'6, 250lbs and ran a 4.60 40 with an absolute cannon of an arm. If athletic upside trumped on field smarts, he would be the best QB in NFL history. 

Teddy has the position down between the ears in a way that Lock simply never will. Its high time to move on from Lock. He should not be seen as more than a Chad Kelly type flyer at this point.

• Like 1

Some quick fire 1st half notes from watching all 22:

* It is so clear how good our secondary is by watching the film. They are just so relaxed and assured back there. Constant communication, and so rarely out of control. Justin Simmons is at the peak of his powers right now. He is so confident in his reads and knowing his athletic ability

* I didn't realise how good of a half AJ had in the run game in the 1st half. Defending the run in early downs was always going to be the key to this game for us, and AJ was unbelievable in the 1st half.
The Jags showed no respect for our Interior DL, as their Interior OL didn't bother combo blocking; they just went straight to the 2nd level to block Jewell and AJ. But AJ is just so violent and strong at the POA that he made play after play in and around the LOS

* The OL as a whole had an excellent half in pass pro. Bolles or Cush (both blamed each other) had that one blip in the redzone but besides that, we've avoided any quick pressures.
Really impressed with Bobby Massie, which I wasn't expecting to say. He's handled Josh Allen really well thus far. He's a powerful human being, that is for sure.

* Muti's had a couple of blips in the run game. He's been caught lunging on a couple of occasions by Davon Hamilton (impressive DT, never heard of him before).
To be honest, I think the playcalling has been the worst part of the run game thus far. Far too much reliance on backside blocks from TEs (Fant's blocking has been poor thus far). Stop getting cute and get the ball up in the gut of the OL

* We've moved the ball well on Offense, but that pass pro slip cost us any chance of a TD and the officiating has been awful

* My favourite play of the half was actually the Hinton reception. Just look at where Hinton is up to in his route when Teddy releases the ball. Throwing with that level of anticipation is basically impossible to stop in the NFL. The ball was right in the bread basket for a 1st down too.

Like our secondary, Teddy just exhibits control. It helps the OL has protected so well, but his calmness in what he's doing is infectious across the Offense, no doubt

• Like 4

I just rewatched the TV broadcast, a couple thoughts:

Muti and Cush actually held up better than I expected but the weak link was definitely Risner. Overall mostly good protection and even better run blocking as a whole (2nd half was definitely better than 1st tho). Massie played pretty well and Bolles did great as well.

On Defense, Von is such a monster... Even trying to watch others, I find my eyes gravitating back to him. I can't imagine our defense without him as he creates so much pressure. If Lawrence held the ball just a tiny bit longer, Von would have had 3-4 sacks. Outside of him there were a couple nice pressures by Reed and not much beyond that from our OLBs. DreMont Jones creates decent pressure as well but he is the only one on the interior line. Biggest disappointment on Defense so far is Shelby Harris. He's looking like JAG.  

Lastly, fire McMahon. Stop settling for poor performance and start demanding excellence. 

Lomax, Where do you get your all-22 film from? Would love to see an expanded view. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 9:46 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Man, I just checked out the Jets forum. Genuinely don't think I have ever seen a more despondent forum 2 weeks into a season. Especially with a rookie QB that was taken #2 overall. They are ready to throw the guy off Jersey Turnpike already ..... Brutal.

Away this week, so I missed the game, but while I'm not a huge Wilson fan, I'm not ready to call him a bust, like the Jets fans are.

It's kinda ironic that the same Jets fans turned on Darnold, only to see him start playing well under Joe Brady and Matt Rhule in Carolina (although NO without their coaches and Lattimore are far easier to play against, and we've seen how flawed the Jets are, so it's not like it's a given Darnold is fixed completely - but he looks like a legit NFL level QB with upside).

Back to our game, a few thoughts after watching it last night:

1.  The work Mike Munchak is doing is just so impressive.   What Cush, Muti & now our RT's are doing is a testament to his ability to develop mid-level to cheap talent.    Frankly, no matter what happens to the rest of our coaching staff, Munchak could have a job for life, even with turnover of the staff when it happens.    I hope he really loves life as a grandfather in Colorado.

2.  Teddy's playing as advertised.  He makes the right reads, and doesn't put the ball at risk.   When we face teams that aren't as talented, he's not going to lose the game by turning the ball over and reversing the talent gap.   The real test is when we play teams that are as talented, or more talented - he's never shown the ability to elevate his game to carry teams to victory.  But given our recent QB play, what he brings is still 10x better than what we're used to seeing.

3.   One area we're going to find bigger trouble with is success against better secondaries, with Jeudy out.   It's nothing against Sutton - he's still at least 6 months away from regaining full explosion (players play for sure at this stage, but don't regain that full ability to separate / high-point / etc. until 18 months post-ACL).    2021 is going to be OK for him - but nowhere near his physical peak.   And yes, having Patrick around is a godsend at this stage.    Truthfully, though, we hope for Jeudy to come back and be the alpha we envisioned when he was drafted - it gives us the 3-level ability and across-field weapon ability when we have Jeudy / Sutton (or Patrick) / Hamler at WR, and Fant (or Albert O) at TE. 

4.  Von is showing the athletic ability that makes him so special.    It's always risky to extend players in their early 30's, but man, he's showing that freak ability isn't fading yet, either. 

5.   Drafting Javonte Williams is going to make letting MG3 walk next year such an easy call.    Not investing big $ into RB will only help our future roster construction even more.

Overall, this was the expected result - and there's no reason to think we won't get to 3-0 at home.  That's when the real work begins.   Still, you can only beat the teams in front of you.   And on that count, they've done their work well. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Another thing I’ve noticed the last couple of weeks is that, whilst I love Javonte Williams and I see him as our bell-cow back for the next few years, I also think Melvin Gordon is playing his best football in a few years at the moment, which is great to see.

Let’s hope we have a great 1-2 punch and Gordon can earn himself a nice free agent deal elsewhere, before Javonte becomes the guy next year. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 8:38 AM, AkronsWitness said:

I dont want to get too far ahead of it because lets be honest, playing the Giants/Jags/Jets who are all 0-2 isnt exactly the most difficult task, but Teddy seems to be having a season this year that the Broncos thought they were going to get with Case Keenum a few years back. Hes surprised the crap out of me and his calm demeanor in the pocket is something I havent seen since PM.

You dont feel like he is going to panic and throw a bad pass when he gets pressured--which is a lovely change of pace.

Was that ever a concern with Teddy? He’s always been steady, he’s always been well regarded for his poise, his confidence, his pocket presence, his demeanor, his locker room leadership, etc. 

The only thing that he’s done that I was not expecting was being able to buy time. I never thought he was Drew Bledsoe in the pocket but I also know he’s also not Lamar Jackson. He moves better than I thought and can throw surprisingly well on the move as well.

6 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Athletic upside in a QB has become so overrated. If you cant diagnose the field, you can be one of the best athletes in the game and still be a nothing at QB. Logan Thomas is 6'6, 250lbs and ran a 4.60 40 with an absolute cannon of an arm. If athletic upside trumped on field smarts, he would be the best QB in NFL history.

The best QBs in the league - Tom Brady not withstanding - are all plus athletes. Maholmes, Rodgers, Allen, Jackson, Murray, Herbert, Prescott are all good if not great athletes. The day of the statue QB is over if anything. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Was that ever a concern with Teddy? He’s always been steady, he’s always been well regarded for his poise, his confidence, his pocket presence, his demeanor, his locker room leadership, etc. 

The only thing that he’s done that I was not expecting was being able to buy time. I never thought he was Drew Bledsoe in the pocket but I also know he’s also not Lamar Jackson. He moves better than I thought and can throw surprisingly well on the move as well.

I'd add the concern was he was going to be Joe Flacco 2.0. Constant check downs and throwing short of the sticks. There were a number of times I would see an open crosser that Teddy would pass on for a deeper throw. He has no doubt been the best QB we have had under center since Manning (not saying much) and has look better than I was expecting. I'm definitely still holding back on being overly excited about him/this team until at least half way through the year when we have played playoff caliber teams, but it is a breath of fresh air to beat teams we should beat. 

• Like 1