WEEK 2: UNDEFEATED 1-0 Denver Broncos @ 0-1 Jacksonville Jaguars - 11.00am MDT /// 1.00pm EDT

lomaxgrUK

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Our pass rush and DL are super thin depth wise.   Really can’t afford any more injuries. 

I’m definitely not a doctor, so it’s possible I have no idea what I’m talking about here. But if it’s a bone spur, isn’t this something they should’ve diagnosed and taken care of during the off-season? Why would you try to ‘rehab’ something like that? It’s a piece of bone.. sticking off his ankle.. PT isn’t gonna magically make that disappear. It’s just like when Demaryius Thomas tore the labrum in his hip during the 2015 season. Instead of letting him gimp his way through the next 3 seasons as a shell of himself, why didn’t they just shut him down for a season and actually fix it? I’ve never understood the rationale for that. If they had just fixed Chubb’s ankle when it first started bothering him in the off-season, he would have only missed a couple of games against crappy teams and we’d be looking at getting him back for the hard part of our schedule. 

6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The best QBs in the league - Tom Brady not withstanding - are all plus athletes. Maholmes, Rodgers, Allen, Jackson, Murray, Herbert, Prescott are all good if not great athletes. The day of the statue QB is over if anything. 

I'm missing your point. These are NFL QB's, they're all plus athletes. Now, if you're trying to say running QB's are the future I'll have to disagree.

The very best that have played the position are very smart, have adequate to great arms, very accurate, and a great pocket presence. Kinda the "eyes' in the back of their head thing". They move well in the pocket and running for them is a rare occurence.

Anyway, like I said, I'm missing your point. 

5 hours ago, 1234567 said:

I’m definitely not a doctor, so it’s possible I have no idea what I’m talking about here. But if it’s a bone spur, isn’t this something they should’ve diagnosed and taken care of during the off-season? Why would you try to ‘rehab’ something like that? It’s a piece of bone.. sticking off his ankle.. PT isn’t gonna magically make that disappear. It’s just like when Demaryius Thomas tore the labrum in his hip during the 2015 season. Instead of letting him gimp his way through the next 3 seasons as a shell of himself, why didn’t they just shut him down for a season and actually fix it? I’ve never understood the rationale for that. If they had just fixed Chubb’s ankle when it first started bothering him in the off-season, he would have only missed a couple of games against crappy teams and we’d be looking at getting him back for the hard part of our schedule. 

A lot of people have bone spurs. Most don’t bother you. A lot of them overly high use areas and are buildups created by the body to protect themselves. So you will see bone spurs in an area of injury but in reality it’s an incidental finding. So you play it conservative. You don’t cut into the ankle of a pro athlete because his sprained ankle shows he has an incidental bone spur. But if the inflammation in the area keeps reoccurring at an abnormal rate you start to consider the fact that this could be one of the (relatively) rare spurs that is causing an issue and now the pros outweigh the cons

• Like 4

3 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

A lot of people have bone spurs. Most don’t bother you. A lot of them overly high use areas and are buildups created by the body to protect themselves. So you will see bone spurs in an area of injury but in reality it’s an incidental finding. So you play it conservative. You don’t cut into the ankle of a pro athlete because his sprained ankle shows he has an incidental bone spur. But if the inflammation in the area keeps reoccurring at an abnormal rate you start to consider the fact that this could be one of the (relatively) rare spurs that is causing an issue and now the pros outweigh the cons

Interesting! I didn’t realize bone spurs were that common. Learn something new every day. 

Edited by 1234567

16 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Another thing I’ve noticed the last couple of weeks is that, whilst I love Javonte Williams and I see him as our bell-cow back for the next few years, I also think Melvin Gordon is playing his best football in a few years at the moment, which is great to see.

Let’s hope we have a great 1-2 punch and Gordon can earn himself a nice free agent deal elsewhere, before Javonte becomes the guy next year. 

Melvin definitely playing for that contract next year, but I'll take the fruits of his labor in the meantime.

15 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The best QBs in the league - Tom Brady not withstanding - are all plus athletes. Maholmes, Rodgers, Allen, Jackson, Murray, Herbert, Prescott are all good if not great athletes. The day of the statue QB is over if anything. 

But Teddy isnt a statue. He has always had decent mobility. Not a running QB by any means, but he can make plays with his feet to avoid the rush and deliver a pass. 

He is a neutral athlete, but that doesnt mean he is a poor one. 

16 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Was that ever a concern with Teddy? He’s always been steady, he’s always been well regarded for his poise, his confidence, his pocket presence, his demeanor, his locker room leadership, etc. 

The only thing that he’s done that I was not expecting was being able to buy time. I never thought he was Drew Bledsoe in the pocket but I also know he’s also not Lamar Jackson. He moves better than I thought and can throw surprisingly well on the move as well.

I think a lot of people thought that equated to boring, low scoring and checkdown happy.

46 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Melvin definitely playing for that contract next year, but I'll take the fruits of his labor in the meantime.

I thought he played well over the second half of last season, but haven't seen too much this season. He has horrid vision. Javonte looks like he's clearly the better back already. But, that being said, I am absolutely fine with splitting the carries about 50/50. Melvin is solid. And no doubt an incredible TD first week. He should be able to bust out some more big gains this season.

I will say - I was harsh on that signing because it was a lot of money for an average running back. In hindsight, signing was completely fine - the broncos had plenty of money to spend and Gordon has been mostly good. 

• Like 3

I don't think our playcalling thus far this year has suited Gordon, really. To me, it feels like we've ran more zone runs this year and Gordon is much more suited to running from Shotgun, where the hole is designed (backs up Duce's comment re: Melvin's lack of vision).

Javonte Williams had a couple of excellent reps in pass pro last week; assuming that holds up, Melvin is definitely not coming back next year.

I do think we should enjoy having two backs that can play 3 downs, or at least make the Defense respect all potential playcalls with them on the field. That is pretty rare. I loved Phil, but so often when he was in the game on 2nd and long or 3rd and long, teams would just blitz one (if not two) LBs and we'd have little answer protection wise.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I don't think our playcalling thus far this year has suited Gordon, really. To me, it feels like we've ran more zone runs this year and Gordon is much more suited to running from Shotgun, where the hole is designed (backs up Duce's comment re: Melvin's lack of vision).

Javonte Williams had a couple of excellent reps in pass pro last week; assuming that holds up, Melvin is definitely not coming back next year.

I do think we should enjoy having two backs that can play 3 downs, or at least make the Defense respect all potential playcalls with them on the field. That is pretty rare. I loved Phil, but so often when he was in the game on 2nd and long or 3rd and long, teams would just blitz one (if not two) LBs and we'd have little answer protection wise.

I know the Giants front 7 is good, but I would like to see a little bit more out of the run game this week. They have done 'okay' so far, but I hope the run game can step it up. 

Gordon had 13 carries for 32 yards with 2.4 YPC against the lowly Jags. Williams was a bit better but still nothing great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I know the Giants front 7 is good, but I would like to see a little bit more out of the run game this week. They have done 'okay' so far, but I hope the run game can step it up. 

Gordon had 13 carries for 32 yards with 2.4 YPC against the lowly Jags. Williams was a bit better but still nothing great.

I think that has more to do with how teams are playing us defensively right now than any other factor.

The Giants and Jags have both played the run a lot, basically, make Teddy beat them in the air. I'd expect after TB's performances so far that'll change.

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Noah Fant's blocking was atrocious in this game. Both the technique and more worryingly, the effort just wasn't good enough.

I see he's carrying an injury, but in our scheme that is built around play action, your TEs absolutely have to be able to block in the run game. 

He looks really lethargic out there. For a hyper-athletic player he doesn’t seem to move with much energy before and after plays