Week 2 GDT: Titans (0-1) @ Seahawks (1-0) - do we suck again???

-Hope-

8 hours ago, 615finest said:

sounds like we are predictable on defense just like the offense lol

Negative play for us aside, insight like this just shows how complex and challenging this sport is. And how smart a guy like Hudson is.

if I’m not mistaken, announcers said before the game that he’s a new center for AZ and spoke highly of him. I didn’t recognize the name. But if Hudson made a call at LOS that led to that TD, just shows how important a smart center is and how attention to detail can change the course of a game 

I think hearing the coaches speak as if they want to continue doing what they've been doing, but just executing better has dropped my hopes for this team moreso than the actual beatdown the Cardinals gave us.

Yeah, we'll execute better and win some games, but I've been saying since our first playoff run with Tannehill that we have to stop trying to force the run into stacked boxes or we won't be successful on offense against playoff teams, and it appears our coaches fundamentally disagree. 

If teams want 8 man boxes against us, we should be able to throw on them all day. Why on earth would you even bother getting Julio if you want to run the majority of first and second downs? 

I think we probably still make the playoffs in a weak division and are one and done based purely on roster talent alone. We're probably not going to all the sudden become a horrible team just because of one bad game to start the season, but the way we want to win games has a ceiling in a conference that goes through Patrick Mahommes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

Negative play for us aside, insight like this just shows how complex and challenging this sport is. And how smart a guy like Hudson is.

if I’m not mistaken, announcers said before the game that he’s a new center for AZ and spoke highly of him. I didn’t recognize the name. But if Hudson made a call at LOS that led to that TD, just shows how important a smart center is and how attention to detail can change the course of a game 

Yeah Hudson has been arguably the best center in the league for 5-6 years.

21 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Yeah, we'll execute better and win some games, but I've been saying since our first playoff run with Tannehill that we have to stop trying to force the run into stacked boxes or we won't be successful on offense against playoff teams, and it appears our coaches fundamentally disagree. 

If teams want 8 man boxes against us, we should be able to throw on them all day. Why on earth would you even bother getting Julio if you want to run the majority of first and second downs? 

i'll still never get over the fact that this is literally the reason we fired mularkey and something vrabel explicitly said he wouldn't do in his introductory press conference. what happened, man?

40 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i'll still never get over the fact that this is literally the reason we fired mularkey and something vrabel explicitly said he wouldn't do in his introductory press conference. what happened, man?

We had good players and were effective running the ball in the regular season and Arthur Smith was great at dialing up PA passes that caught the defense off-guard. We also passed on first down with Smith (and maybe we will eventually with Downing). It feels like we've tried to take the ball out of Tannehill's hands in the playoffs and really force the run on early downs moreso than the regular season. Defense's in the playoffs are also less surprised by the things we did all through the regular season and will probably be less surprised this year as we attempt the same thing without that great play-caller.

Our passing game is completely tied to our running game and we haven't been able to pass protect well without the threat of the run in several years. We need to pass on earlier downs.

The quote from Downing where he basically suggests he wants to run on first down and use play-action on 2nd and 3rd is hopefully just him misspeaking or the public misinterpreting, but it also goes along with a quote from Vrabel a few years ago when he mentioned wanting to have a high run percentage on first down because third down is primarily a passing down and if you pass early your percentagea won't balance out.

The problem with that idea goes along with something Peyton Manning said on Monday night. Don't play to convert third down over and over again. You wanna get the first down in the first two downs and save the third down as a last chance. You won't score many points with nothing but 12+ play drives that require you to continually convert third downs. Last year we had a lot of big plays off early down throws and we didn't have to do that.

IDK. I'm probably just being a typical fan and overreacting to meaningless comments, but I think we have the wrong philosophy of doing whatever we want to do on offense rather than taking advantage of whatever the defense wants to give us and will continue to try to impose our will with what we want to do regardless of how much an opposing defense is predicting we will do it.

When your defense is giving up points it's hard to wait on "establishing" what you want to do because the other team is expecting it. It's not 2003 anymore where you can do that and win a lot of low scoring games against playoff offenses.

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

As much as I want us to come out and rebound, based off last week, I just feel like we're about to see another blowout loss. I hope I'm wrong. But this season is just giving off vibes of a lost, top-10 pick season so far.

I don't think it's that bad. I think last week was a combination of us playing about as bad as we possibly could on the OL against one of the better DLs in the league, combined with their offense connecting on every low percentage shot they took. 

If the OL improves, and there's no reason it shouldn't, we should be able to win some games the same way we did last season. I just don't personally think we'll ever make another deep post-season run with that same style of offense unless we somehow stumble into having an amazing defense, and we all know how likely that has looked.

I think the OL improving falls on how Taylor Lewan does. I don't think losing Kelly is a contributing factor to last week's debacle at all. I found him to be a highly overrated (on this forum) backup quality RT. OTs are hard to find and yet he still didn't sign as a starter anywhere.

I have no idea why we replaced him with another backup quality RT, maybe there was a significant 2021 cap hit difference, but I think I expected too much early contribution from a 2nd round OT who played at lower level of competition and sat out a year. If he can start by the middle of the year that'd be nice, but I do think he is going to be a good player for us. Even if he needs to be moved inside, I think Saffold is probably gone next year and we can resign Jones and start him between Lewan and Jones at LG (and still need a RT 😭😂). So we still get value out of the pick either way, although less value in an OG instead of OT, but I think he can play OT. 

7 hours ago, TitanSS said:

We had good players and were effective running the ball in the regular season and Arthur Smith was great at dialing up PA passes that caught the defense off-guard. We also passed on first down with Smith (and maybe we will eventually with Downing). It feels like we've tried to take the ball out of Tannehill's hands in the playoffs and really force the run on early downs moreso than the regular season. Defense's in the playoffs are also less surprised by the things we did all through the regular season and will probably be less surprised this year as we attempt the same thing without that great play-caller.

Our passing game is completely tied to our running game and we haven't been able to pass protect well without the threat of the run in several years. We need to pass on earlier downs.

The quote from Downing where he basically suggests he wants to run on first down and use play-action on 2nd and 3rd is hopefully just him misspeaking or the public misinterpreting, but it also goes along with a quote from Vrabel a few years ago when he mentioned wanting to have a high run percentage on first down because third down is primarily a passing down and if you pass early your percentagea won't balance out.

The problem with that idea goes along with something Peyton Manning said on Monday night. Don't play to convert third down over and over again. You wanna get the first down in the first two downs and save the third down as a last chance. You won't score many points with nothing but 12+ play drives that require you to continually convert third downs. Last year we had a lot of big plays off early down throws and we didn't have to do that.

IDK. I'm probably just being a typical fan and overreacting to meaningless comments, but I think we have the wrong philosophy of doing whatever we want to do on offense rather than taking advantage of whatever the defense wants to give us and will continue to try to impose our will with what we want to do regardless of how much an opposing defense is predicting we will do it.

When your defense is giving up points it's hard to wait on "establishing" what you want to do because the other team is expecting it. It's not 2003 anymore where you can do that and win a lot of low scoring games against playoff offenses.

Hearing Manning say that about first and second down just hurt my soul

Like he’s 100% right. He’s QBd some of the greatest offenses ever and is one of the greatest to ever do it. 

and our approach is clearly the opposite of that.