Week 2 GDT: Titans (0-1) @ Seahawks (1-0) - do we suck again???

-Hope-

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

if pruitt were faster i think he'd be a legit serviceable TE1. dude looks like he's wearing concrete shoes whenever he's running lmao so not exactly a downfield threat but he's got reliable hands and is of course a stellar blocker.

He doesn’t look slow to me man ran a 4.58 coming out however I give you he’s not as quick in space or coming out of breaks 

We released Bradley McDougald. Should see more Cruikshank and I hope Elijah Molden at safety.

It’s crazy to say because we’ve allowed 33 and 38 points in our first two games to start the season but I think our defense could be really good as the season develops. Harold Landry has looked as good as ever to start the year. Simmons and Autry looks special together. Dupree should only get better as he gets further from that knee injury. David Long looks like he may have taken a small leap. Kristian Fulton looks like he’s taken a massive leap. If Elijah Molden gets better as the season goes, Farley provides anything for us and Amani Hooker and Jayon can come back A-OK from their injuries, this defense looks like they could be way better than I and a lot of people expected. It truly comes down to Vrabel and Bowen imo.

15 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

We released Bradley McDougald. Should see more Cruikshank and I hope Elijah Molden at safety.

It’s crazy to say because we’ve allowed 33 and 38 points in our first two games to start the season but I think our defense could be really good as the season develops. Harold Landry has looked as good as ever to start the year. Simmons and Autry looks special together. Dupree should only get better as he gets further from that knee injury. David Long looks like he may have taken a small leap. Kristian Fulton looks like he’s taken a massive leap. If Elijah Molden gets better as the season goes, Farley provides anything for us and Amani Hooker and Jayon can come back A-OK from their injuries, this defense looks like they could be way better than I and a lot of people expected. It truly comes down to Vrabel and Bowen imo.

Yeah, we're definitely a better defense than the numbers indicate.  I don't think we're top 10, or even top 15, but we're definitely improved, at the least.  Offense did not do the defense any favors, which is probably why there's such a big disparity in points allowed (where we're 29th) vs. total defense, where we're at a slightly better 23rd.

27th in passing yards allowed, unfortunately, but 13th in rush yards allowed.  If Farley or Weaver comes on strong at any point in the season, it'll help our weak point quite a bit.  Ditto if Dupree plays better.

I still think we're kinda doomed on the back end with Bowen/Vrabel's DB scheme, but that's for the Vrabel thread.

5 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

McDougald looked pretty bad, and encouragingly enough, I really liked Cruikshank once he came in. 

And I agree this feels like a potential much better defense once things settle down a little bit. Fulton looks really solid to start the year, and that's huge.

At worst I think they can be a solid 'when needed' defense. And if the offense keeps trending up, that could be enough by itself.

Cruikshank has the looks/athleticism of a guy who could be used as one of those hybrid sub LBs. We've never really seen him on the field to know how that translates, but I'd guess he needs to be played closer to the LOS to make sure other teams don't expose him in coverage. Gives us a lot less flexibility than Byard/Hooker who are interchangeable.

Vrabel said he earned more snaps last week. It would be awesome if he could earn some time as a sub LB in obvious passing situations or a 3rd safety in a big dime package. IDK if he'd ever be good enough in coverage to get snaps over Jackson/Molden as an inside DB unless someone is injured. Also could provide depth behind Jayon as our coverage ILB in obvious passing situations if Jayon is out.

Super athlete in terms of size/strength/speed: 6'1" - 209 - 4.41 - 25 reps - 38.5" vert

Just an average athlete in terms of acceleration and agility: https://ras.football/2019/12/27/dane-cruikshank-ras/ 

Edited by TitanSS

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Cruikshank has the looks/athleticism of a guy who could be used as one of those hybrid sub LBs. We've never really seen him on the field to know how that translates, but I'd guess he needs to be played closer to the LOS to make sure other teams don't expose him in coverage. Gives us a lot less flexibility than Byard/Hooker who are interchangeable.

Vrabel said he earned more snaps last week. It would be awesome if he could earn some time as a sub LB in obvious passing situations or a 3rd safety in a big dime package. IDK if he'd ever be good enough in coverage to get snaps over Jackson/Molden as an inside DB unless someone is injured. Also could provide depth behind Jayon as our coverage ILB in obvious passing situations if Jayon is out.

Super athlete in terms of size/strength/speed: 6'1" - 209 - 4.41 - 25 reps - 38.5" vert

Just an average athlete in terms of acceleration and agility: https://ras.football/2019/12/27/dane-cruikshank-ras/ 

He forced an incompletion covering Metcalf down the field on 2nd down in OT, if I'm not mistaken, and it wasn't the only time he looked good in coverage.

Might be a small sample size, but he definitely has the potential to be solid in coverage.

21 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

He forced an incompletion covering Metcalf down the field on 2nd down in OT, if I'm not mistaken, and it wasn't the only time he looked good in coverage.

Might be a small sample size, but he definitely has the potential to be solid in coverage.

But him & Metcalf are somewhat similar in athleticism, both are avg agility guys, 

This goes back to what I was saying Sunday, when I was like Tannehill is holding on to the ball too long & needs to get rid of it, & few of you were saying the OL not giving him time, & Dowings is calling ds long passing routes. My point is what he just said sometimes you have to take what the defense gives you, then as the QB talk it over with your OC & make adjustments. This is why I always say you can’t be a elite QB or a great QB if you need everything to work in your favor. At some point Tannehill has to do know his personnel know presnap where you trying to go with the ball, but if they blitz or I feel immediate pressure where’s my checkdown, my safety blanket the small things coaches always preach 

4 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Apparently we're already using him as a sub package LB. He looks pretty solid in this thread. 

P.S. this guy post tons of clips on Twitter. Probably my favorite account to follow if you get football media from Twitter at all.