2021 Week Two GDT Steelers vs Da Raiders!

Steeler Hitman

3 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I wasn't saying that you were in support. I was asking your opinion of the other two and their possible fit on the DL. As you can tell I am somewhat meh on Taco fitting in on our DL.

The fact that they arent signed tells me something is wrong.   Its like with DeCastro.   Not alot of info on his status, but chances are he cant play right now and/or is contemplating retirement.

I'd definitely consider both, though...especially considering we activated Henry Mendeaux to fill the spot.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 2

Sheesh....You guys are literally on here typing novels.... I'm sorry to be so simplistic with it ...but here it is 

We need to find a way to run the ball, with the type of dominance that we can expect a 1st down guaranteed on 3rd and 4...we need a back..one back...and an oline to be able to get  80 to 100 yards on average every game at the very least..we need this because our 3 best WRS main talents are either catching deep 50/50 jump balls are running under deep passes or both.... Yes they do yak well too but when yak is supposed to be 90% of the execution..(screen passes and cute stuff around the line of scrimmage)..you are setting yourself up for failure. we need to run the ball to set up deep passes...it seems to be what both the QB and the wr want ... I know it sounds simple and old school... But everyone is still doing it..

Damnit...I wrote an essay *face palm*

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I wasn't saying that you were in support. I was asking your opinion of the other two and their possible fit on the DL. As you can tell I am somewhat meh on Taco fitting in on our DL.

If they do not expect him to rush the passer I think he could be a fine stop gap.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Yes, I am sure three different coaches decided to eliminate the most fertile area of the field for passing in the modern NFL.  

I think three offensive coordinators have designed their offense around the desires of their head coach. When I say you are arguing contradictory things, it's pretty simple. You want me to believe that at the same time the team was trying to change/neuter Ben with Haley, that they were also giving him greater say in the offense. That just wasn't the case. The guy who got more say was Tomlin who was making his first real hires at the offensive coordinator position. Just like on defense when Lebeau left and he was able to bully Butler around.

Tomlin is a risk averse coach, particularly when it comes to his offense. The throws between the numbers, especially the intermediate ones, are scary. Increase the risk of sacks and interceptions. I don't think it was Ben who decided that, despite those throws being his bread and butter, that he was pretty much just going to throw go routes from now on when he wanted to take a shot down field. That started with Haley. Tomlin's hire at the direction of his owner who wanted the team to protect Ben from himself.

And even the Fitchner hire, which was supposedly Ben - again that was a guy who was Tomlin's first hire. Tomlin knew Fitchner a lot longer than Ben. But what was the narrative around that, again? It was Ben supposedly calling the shots.

11 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Yes, I am sure three different coaches decided to eliminate one of the most efficient means of creating plays down field in the NFL. 

I totally buy that Ben, stupidly, doesn't much care for play-action. He's on record as not liking turning his back to the defense. And that's on the coaches to force him to do it.

It's also on the offensive coordinators to design play action that actually works. Because it hasn't really been an effective part of this offense for a decade even when they have run it. Even when Ben hasn't been under center.

I think that's the funniest part of all these arguments is that we saw the exact same offense after Ben went down for 15 weeks. Same design, same usage of shotgun, same lack of play-action. Same route concepts.

11 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

all while the QB has nothing to do with it...I don't know what to say. So I won't say anything any longer. 

Perhaps we'll get to see the Canada offense under Mason Rudolph this week and we'll see if it looks any different. I'd wager it won't. But we'll see.

• Like 1