NFLPA recommends Josh Gordon be reinstated

kingseanjohn

7 hours ago, 43M said:

Why does he deserve endless opportunities to be a professional athlete?   Same with Aldon Smith.  Alot dont even get SECOND chances.   Some people dont learn or grow, no matter whats at stake.

He had the talent and opportunity to be one of the best and highest paid WRs in the game, and that "goal" didnt stop him from doing it over and over.

The bleeding heart mentality some people have is usually misguided.   It often enables recidivism and relapses.

Clearly, Gordon needs NEW goals to work towards to....because football clearly isnt the goal thats going to get him to change.

I wish Gordon the best, and I dont necessarily have an issue with him being reinstated since it doesnt affect me, but there is no evidence to suggest football is helping him.   If he doesn't WANT to change, nothing else matters.   

But if some team wants to take a chance on 30 year old WR who isnt much more than a backup caliber player anymore and hasnt shown any desire to change....by all means.    

Here comes Mr. Wet blanket.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Because he can produce as a professional athlete. And when he can no longer do that job, he will no longer get opportunities to do that job. 

Just like all jobs. 

Whether he deserves another opportunity is a different question, but if he can play, he'll find a few paychecks.

Why deal with the headache, unless you have a TB12 type player to keep him check? It's just not worth it.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Because he can produce as a professional athlete. And when he can no longer do that job, he will no longer get opportunities to do that job. 

Just like all jobs. 

Way to cherry pick one small part of the post and ignore the context that supported it.   The rest of my post pretty much addresses this.

And your assessment is extremely flawed.  None of us could violate major rules time after time and keep our jobs with the same company.   Thats delusional.

What exactly does he produce that justfies the headaches he brings?    He has had one semi decent year since his huge 2013.   He cant keep his act together long enough to do anything.

Once again, I dont care if a team wants to sign him.   Thats their risk to take.   I just laugh at the ideas that a)  he DESERVES another opportunity and b)  that football is supposedly HELPING him clean up his act when there is literally ZERO evidence to support that.

Maybe if the NFLPA focused on labor disputes and CBA negotiations instead of petitioning for a habitual repeat offender to get his Nth shot to be reinstated, he probably wouldn't have gotten suspended for most of those times.

But keep on fighting the useless fights and getting bent during the owner discussions!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, incognito_man said:

What should we do instead? Support him not having a goal to work toward to help him stay clean?

There are careers other than football players. He's shown he doesn't have the ability to follow the guidelines set for him to stay employed in the NFL, so no, he shouldn't get a 12th (whatever number he's on) chance. Get clean, be a productive member of society, the football thing just isn't going to work for him.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Lotta people who think they should be able to control someone's life they don't respect in here.

Huge yikes.

I mean really... if the weed stuff was allowed this man would have had an amazing career. Why are we derailing these super talented stars for utilizing a naturally grown pain remedy? Load em up with opiates, cortisone injections, and pain killers = perfectly fine.  Smoke some weed to dull the pain...BANNED! So dumb. Stop with this bs nonsense. 

• Like 2

Realistically, many of you care too much about this.

Personally I say why not reinstate him. He isn't a convicted violent criminal who is tarnishing the NFL shield. It appears he is a recreational drug user that probably doesn't use it for pain but uses it to self medicate in some sense or just enjoys that life and frankly I am okay with it. He is going out and running trying to catch a football, not exactly a high priority career.

Should we drug test musicians so they don't tarnish the musical shield? How about actors? Anyone else in the entertainment industry?

The NFL should focus on PEDs because that is cheating and they should focus on players who need help (I think Gordon seems stable in life) and their drug habit is obvious and they need help before they destroy their life (getting suspended from the NFL isn't destroying your life btw).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 43M said:

And your assessment is extremely flawed.  None of us could violate major rules time after time and keep our jobs with the same company.   Thats delusional.

Are we in the entertainment industry? There are different rules for politicians (the highest standard hahahaha), Doctors, pilots etc... who holds peoples lives in their hands, Joe Schmo, working on the docks or factories where you could get severely injured on the job or create an unsafe product and the McD and store clerks where you could screw up money exchanges.

How about Josh Gordon? He might get off of the ball a little slow (if he were high during the game, probably not the case but I've got my butt whooped by teams that were high and drunk so I guess it's possible...one was a Pittsburgh team) but he isn't putting himself or others in any more danger.

We need to relax, have the NFL figure their stuff out and reserve the judgement and treatment counseling of Gordon and just read the headline and hope for the best. At least that is where I am.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

I mean really... if the weed stuff was allowed this man would have had an amazing career. Why are we derailing these super talented stars for utilizing a naturally grown pain remedy? Load em up with opiates, cortisone injections, and pain killers = perfectly fine.  Smoke some weed to dull the pain...BANNED! So dumb. Stop with this bs nonsense. 

I've never smoked, eaten, or ingested the stuff in any way in my entire life, but I have to say that this post does actually make sense.  

• Like 1