TNF: NYG @ WSH Thread

Sad People

Who wins?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Giants
    • Football Team

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/17/2021 at 12:45 AM

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

What happened to Kyle Allen anyway? I remembered him being... inoffensively decent-looking.

Injury hampered him pretty bad. It was a rough one. And honestly Taylor outplayed him in training camp and preseason, not including the curiosity from last season's game against Tampa. 

3 hours ago, SBLIII said:

yeah because your DL doesn't mean jack if you can't cover. Since the Seahawks won the SB in 2013, the Chiefs are the only team who won without an elite secondary.

The only time last year they looked good in coverage against a very good QB was against Seattle. And that was when Wilson was in a massive slump.

Curl is a very promising DB, but Collins, Fuller, Jackson and McClain are 3-4 years removed from their best years.

Sure, they are above average in total but that's not good enough against a QB like Herbert. He had zero issues converting 3rd down after 3rd down.

They probably stifle the Giants because Daniel Jones is below the inflection point that is giving them fits but that problem will again show up against top 10 QBs.

The 2020 Bucs didn’t have an elite secondary 

44 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The Eagles secondary in 2017 was not elite, not even close. Neither was the Bucs secondary last year. They both definitely stepped up their level in the playoffs, but the front seven for both of those teams were the dominant force. 

they were both top 3 in coverage according to PFF.  The Eagles had 5 strong cover DBs in 2017 and the Bucs had less but played overall the best coverage during the playoffs.

Two losing NFC East teams?! Move over, anything else that's on Thursday night! 🤩

This could go either way. Washington's already down to their backup QB, but Heinicke is a good backup plus they're at home. New York is coming off an ***-kicking in which they had all their new toys but failed to produce with them. It's tricky because when the Giants defense shows up they have a chance to win most games, but Daniel Jones has a bad habit of throwing those chances away. And when all opponents have to do is keep eight in the box and wait for him to make a mistake, that's not exactly a recipe for primetime thrills.

Somewhere in between last week's busted coverages on defense and Jason Garrett coloring inside the lines of My First Offensive Playbook the o-line (by far our biggest concern) actually looked okay. So if that doesn't have Washington trembling in fear of us, I don't know what to tell them.

All that aside, of course I'll be watching. Go Big Blue!

• Like 1

Just now, SBLIII said:

they were both top 3 in coverage according to PFF.  The Eagles had 5 strong cover DBs in 2017 and the Bucs had less but played overall the best coverage during the playoffs.

Ok... both units played well in the playoffs I agree, but they were not elite defensive backfields. A lot of people had the Eagles as one of the worst secondary's in the league going into 2017 cause our corner play was abysmal. We definitely did not have 5 strong cover DBs in 2017. Our safeties were very solid, but our CBs were by far the weakest part of our defense. Our front 7 carried that team to a Super Bowl win as it was a dominant force.

And again the Bucs secondary was also not elite. You don't need an elite secondary to win the Super Bowl, it certainly helps but it is far from necessary.

6 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Ok... both units played well in the playoffs I agree, but they were not elite defensive backfields. A lot of people had the Eagles as one of the worst secondary's in the league going into 2017 cause our corner play was abysmal. We definitely did not have 5 strong cover DBs in 2017. Our safeties were very solid, but our CBs were by far the weakest part of our defense. Our front 7 carried that team to a Super Bowl win as it was a dominant force.

And again the Bucs secondary was also not elite. You don't need an elite secondary to win the Super Bowl, it certainly helps but it is far from necessary.

I completely disagree but I'm not going to argue about it because it has no effect on the WFT. I do know that the WFT has to driven by an elite defense that has to be strong on all 3 levels and can't let receivers run wide open in crunch time, let your opponents convert 3rd down after 3rd down to ice the game. And I'm not convinced the secondary is good enough for that.

• Like 1