If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

12 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

It just depends on what we do with the front office. If Spielman stays, I'd say its very likely Cousins gets extended.

Its an allocation of resources problem. You don't lock up 30mm++ in a QB if he can't win you a ship.

Throw that bogus QBs are what they are salary bs out the window.

Buy up other other above avg players at other positions and build around a young guy.

There needs to be some analytics for manufacturing wins in the NFL.

• Like 1

I agree the Vikings need a offensive minded HC. NFL is a offensive driven league and need someone to take advantage of it. Please don't extend Kirk. You can't tie up so much cap space into a player who need near perfect situation to win. Last time Kirk was extended he didn't take less money and this was after a making the playoffs. 

Edited by dc_vikingfan

1 hour ago, twslhs20 said:

College coaches rarely translate to the NFL as head coaches. I'm out on any college coach.

I say this again. The play calling has been bad. The trust in Kubs system was ignorant. However, thee has to be some accountability on the players not preforming.

Not saying Zim has earned the right to keep his job. Too completely blame him is very short sided.

Ok that college coaches rarely translate is kind of BS.  For the first thing almost every Professional coach started off in college unless they knew someone or was related to someone in the business that got them a job in the NFL right away.  But most start off in college and work their way into the NFL, sure some start out in the NFL but that is not that easy to do and really depends on ones circumstance.  Robert Saleh started out college for multiple years, Bruce Arians did even Andy Reid did it and many others as well.  

As for the head coaches Pete Carroll is pretty damn good and came from college obviously, same with Jimmy Johnson.  Jim Harbaugh was not awful in the pros and currently Kliff Kingsbury who I am not a huge fan of, he is doing just fine in Arizona and Matt Rhule is not terrible on the Panthers.  Both are very impressive NFL coaches that came from college recently and Ryan Day is better than them both.  

Accountability for the players sounds good, but fact is something has to change and they cannot fire the players now can they.  The easiest thing to get a restart is the head coach changing because you cannot cut everyone on the team or just let go of the guys not playing well.  

Sure it is not totally his fault but fact is the players are not playing confident football, they are not super aggressive and they are not playing well as a unit or collectively as a team.  If that is not partly the head coaches fault then who is to blame exactly?  He has a .572 winning percentage which is pretty bad in 8 years, only been to the playoffs three times in seven years and has only 3 playoff wins.

Sure they will ride it out with him this year but if there are not some wild improvements why not fire the guy, players are clearly not responding to his coaching like they used to do at all.  There has to be a change made unless the play on the field improves greatly from the garbage that has been basically this entire year, very erratic, not consistent, barely getting by and not playing dominant football in any way.

When I look at Mike Zimmer, I see a guy who has resigned himself to the fact that his best chance to win a Super Bowl (2017) has passed him by.  He has become comfortable with the seven figure income he has as a head coach, so at this point, he just wants to hang onto that as long as he can.  

He probably also wants to prepare his son so he can have a career in the league.  

While actually winning a Super Bowl would be nice, it doesn't seem to be the priority anymore. 

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Ok that college coaches rarely translate is kind of BS.  For the first thing almost every Professional coach started off in college unless they knew someone or was related to someone in the business that got them a job in the NFL right away.  But most start off in college and work their way into the NFL, sure some start out in the NFL but that is not that easy to do and really depends on ones circumstance.  Robert Saleh started out college for multiple years, Bruce Arians did even Andy Reid did it and many others as well.  

As for the head coaches Pete Carroll is pretty damn good and came from college obviously, same with Jimmy Johnson.  Jim Harbaugh was not awful in the pros and currently Kliff Kingsbury who I am not a huge fan of, he is doing just fine in Arizona and Matt Rhule is not terrible on the Panthers.  Both are very impressive NFL coaches that came from college recently and Ryan Day is better than them both.  

Accountability for the players sounds good, but fact is something has to change and they cannot fire the players now can they.  The easiest thing to get a restart is the head coach changing because you cannot cut everyone on the team or just let go of the guys not playing well.  

Sure it is not totally his fault but fact is the players are not playing confident football, they are not super aggressive and they are not playing well as a unit or collectively as a team.  If that is not partly the head coaches fault then who is to blame exactly?  He has a .572 winning percentage which is pretty bad in 8 years, only been to the playoffs three times in seven years and has only 3 playoff wins.

Sure they will ride it out with him this year but if there are not some wild improvements why not fire the guy, players are clearly not responding to his coaching like they used to do at all.  There has to be a change made unless the play on the field improves greatly from the garbage that has been basically this entire year, very erratic, not consistent, barely getting by and not playing dominant football in any way.

There's a difference between hiring a college head coach with no NFL experience and hiring one with some NFL experience.  For every Jimmy Johnson, there are 5 Chip Kellys.   Furthermore, Pete Carroll did not come from college...he was a NFL head coach way before he ever was a college head coach.  He was a NFL coach who went to college and then came back.  I always advocate that when hiring from the college ranks, hiring one with experience in the NFL, because they are 2 different beasts which take 2 different mentalities.  For example, Nick Saban is an fantastic college coach, he was an awful NFL coach.  The same goes for Steve Spurrier and Barry Switzer.  Never, ever, ever hire a head coach from college who has no NFL experience of any kind.        

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swede700 said:

There's a difference between hiring a college head coach with no NFL experience and hiring one with some NFL experience.  For every Jimmy Johnson, there are 5 Chip Kellys.   Furthermore, Pete Carroll did not come from college...he was a NFL head coach way before he ever was a college head coach.  He was a NFL coach who went to college and then came back.  I always advocate that when hiring from the college ranks, hiring one with experience in the NFL, because they are 2 different beasts which take 2 different mentalities.  For example, Nick Saban is an fantastic college coach, he was an awful NFL coach.  The same goes for Steve Spurrier and Barry Switzer.  Never, ever, ever hire a head coach from college who has no NFL experience of any kind.        

True but Peter Carroll was a college coach for ten years!

Pacific (1973–1976)
Graduate assistant

Arkansas (1977)
Graduate assistant

Iowa State (1978)
Secondary coordinator

Ohio State (1979)
Secondary coordinator

North Carolina State (1980–1982)
Defensive coordinator

Pacific (1983)
Defensive coordinator

Sure was not a head coach in college until he came back to college at USC but still, most coaches are assistants in college to start their career obviously so to say college experience has nothing to do with coaching process, not sure I buy that.  

Sure Nick Saban did not do well but that is more circumstance really than Saban, he wanted Brees and the owner ship did not really want him and wanted to go another way, that could have changed some things if they got Brees.  And go ask Jason Taylor Hall of Famer what he thinks of Nick Saban as a coach.  

Sure there is Spurrier and Switzer but they are not the rule especially now a days when literally NFL teams are copying college offenses and the NFL game is not nearly as different as it used to be than the college game with all the rule changes.  

Ryan Day is easily the best potential pro coach in college right now and like I said before it is not like no college coaches are successful in the NFL currently, there are guys that are doing it and Day is again better than both I feel.

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Most do come from the college. They work there way up to coordinators/position coaches in the NFL.

College guys that come in to head coaching gigs almost never work out. They don't have recruiting pipelines. They have to operate within a cap. In Chip Kelly's case his scheme, and mandatory nutrition plan, didn't translate.

It's easy to scheme in college, at a perennial D1 winner, with the top athletes in the country. The NFL is a lot faster, and sometimes schemes don't translate.

Guys like Moore have proven they can scheme with the guys hey have.

Guys like Pete and Jim are outliers. I was not aware, after I just looked this up. They started as assistant position before ever being a head coah in the NFL. That is what I'm saying. I want someone with NFL experience before become a head coach. It makes the most logical sense.

As far as firing players. Yeah, you can. Nothing is off the table when you are making millions.

Edited by twslhs20

21 hours ago, KeithVikings28 said:

I’m voting for the Vikings to hire Kellen Moore as a head coach. He’s smart enough to know if you try to stop the run it leaves WRs with one on one battles with CBs and if your guys are better than there’s, you win. 

Why would Kellen Moore choose a Cousins led Vikings squad. 

34 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Could be a lot worse. The Jags gig will probably be the most coveted, but I’d assume most teams in the bottom ten don’t have a worthwhile QB and most wont be able to draft one given there will only be a small handful to choose from. Cousins is likely the best if that group. At least the turnaround is quicker on a team like the Vikes if coaching truly is the biggest issue and not talent.

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Kirk has just one year left and also there's only 32 HC jobs. The Vikings are more talented than a lot of teams with a HC position available 

Edited by dc_vikingfan