If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

Moore would have to have some interest in a Vikings opening. Why did Stefanski go to the Browns? Perennial losers? Because it was an opportunity.

Cowboys and Vikings offenses line up pretty similarly from a playmaker perspective. Cowboys OL has the edge but the Vikings have potential with a few young pieces in place.

Cooper/Lamb vs. Thielen/Jefferson

Zeke/Pollard vs. Cook/Mattison

Schultz/Jarwin vs. Irv/Conklin

Obviously the greatest difference is at QB with Dak vs. Kirk. Maybe Moore at HC brings some consistency to Kirk rather than the Jekyl and Hyde we see on a week-to-week basis at times.

Here’s what a new coach is going to get with Cousins, and why it’s a good thing.

1. Short term stability at the position. I think every, logical, person understands that Cousins isn’t the solution at QB. But he’s a top 12 QB who’s been in the league for 10 years. He knows how to go through the weekly grind.

2. The new coaching staff/regime doesn’t have to force themselves to find the solution at QB. They don’t have to tie themselves to someone out of necessity.

3. Cousins is a top 12 QB, who gives you top 10 quality play for the majority of games. That’s a better option than teams with an empty cupboard or with bottom of the barrel options. 

4. Cousins gives a new coach/regime not only time to identify and find the QB that they want, but he gives them the opportunity to make sure that the guy that they want is absolutely ready. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Here’s what a new coach is going to get with Cousins, and why it’s a good thing.

1. Short term stability at the position. I think every, logical, person understands that Cousins isn’t the solution at QB. But he’s a top 12 QB who’s been in the league for 10 years. He knows how to go through the weekly grind.

2. The new coaching staff/regime doesn’t have to force themselves to find the solution at QB. They don’t have to tie themselves to someone out of necessity.

3. Cousins is a top 12 QB, who gives you top 10 quality play for the majority of games. That’s a better option than teams with an empty cupboard or with bottom of the barrel options. 

4. Cousins gives a new coach/regime not only time to identify and find the QB that they want, but he gives them the opportunity to make sure that the guy that they want is absolutely ready. 

I agree. However, with point four, they may not have this luxury given that Cousins isn’t tied to the team much longer and he’s likely going to want top 5 money with a new contract. If we’re not extending Kirk or even a 2 year extension, you’ve got essentially 2-3 years to have to be ready for another player to step in. So identifying a replacement has to happen in one of the next two drafts if you’re okay with a 2 year extension. 

7 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Because there are only 32 HC jobs on the planet.

What if they are not interested in coaching Cousins? So we’re thinking a good potential head coach would choose Vikings with Cousins, when at the time of his hiring, there would still being a decent chance we extend him for 2-3 years, potentially attaching him to Cousins for likely 3 years. 

there could be different situations where  it’s more appealing to him (young player, draft prospect, different vet on short contract he is more comfortable with). 

28 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

What if they are not interested in coaching Cousins? So we’re thinking a good potential head coach would choose Vikings with Cousins, when at the time of his hiring, there would still being a decent chance we extend him for 2-3 years, potentially attaching him to Cousins for likely 3 years. 

there could be different situations where  it’s more appealing to him (young player, draft prospect, different vet on short contract he is more comfortable with). 

Or, he could never be offered a HC job again. I think, unless it is an awful franchise (WA?), anyone would take almost any HC job (if they had not been one before). Or, what are the odds the next situation is more appealing? Most openings are on bad teams.....A bird in the hand....especially when there are only 32 birds.....

• Like 1

The thought that a potential Head Coaching candidate would be diswayed by Kirk Cousins is laughable. Tell me what vet on a short term contract is going to be more appealing? Even if the new guy wants his own drafted QB, who wouldn't want him to sit behing Cousins for a year or two and get seasoning? Heck, if Cousins plays just ok for two years and they jettison him, the new coach then gets at least 2-3 years with his handpicked guy. Cousins is job security for a new coach. That guy just has to play to his strengths and to the other weapons on the team not named Dalvin Cook. 

If the Vikings HC position comes open after this season, it's easily...easily, the most attractive position to open up in several years. 

• Like 2

I personally don't see Kirk being extend unless the next coach or Zimmer what him. Kirk will be a bridge QB to either Mond or a upcoming rookie QB. Either Kirk or Vikings said no last year and it made the most sense to extend then. The next HC will be hired long before Rick tries to extend him now. I could see the Vikings trading Kirk and 1st or 2nd to Houston to eat the contract and play Mond to see if can be QB1. The upcoming QB class doesn't look strong.

28 minutes ago, dc_vikingfan said:

I personally don't see Kirk being extend unless the next coach or Zimmer what him. Kirk will be a bridge QB to either Mond or a upcoming rookie QB. Either Kirk or Vikings said no last year and it made the most sense to extend then. The next HC will be hired long before Rick tries to extend him now. I could see the Vikings trading Kirk and 1st or 2nd to Houston to eat the contract and play Mond to see if can be QB1. The upcoming QB class doesn't look strong.

Mond is nowhere near ready. And this team isn't paying Kirk $45MM next season unless they are deliberately tanking. The only thing that makes sense is an extension. 

Trading Kirk AND a 1st round pick is ridiculous. He's not Brock Osweiller, and you'd presumably need that draft capital to get your next quarterback.