If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Zimmer is the only head coach that we should evaluate Spielman on. He’s the only coach that Spielman has hired. 

And I’m not arguing whether or not Spielman should be fired. I’m just saying that I don’t think the Wilfs are ready to fire him. 

We don’t even know how the Wilf’s feel about Zimmer either. Good enough might be acceptable for all we know. It’s not like fans will stop going to games and they got TV deals locked in. What incentive is there for the Wilf’s to blow it up unless there’s complete mutiny in the locker room? We’re not there yet. But drop the next 3 or 4, I’m sure players will start to pack it in.

The seventh seed is still completely up for grabs, the Panthers, Bears, 49ers and Falcons are all equally bad.

Edited by vikingsrule

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

We don’t even know how the Wilf’s feel about Zimmer either. Good enough might be acceptable for all we know. It’s not like fans will stop going to games and they got TV deals locked in. What inventive is their for the Wilf to blow it up unless there’s complete mutiny in the locker room? We’re not there yet. But drop the next 3 or 4, I’m sure players will start to pack it in.

The seventh seed is still completely up for grabs, the Panthers, Bears, 49ers and Falcons are all equally bad.

I think the reports that Zimmer saved his job with the playoff win over New Orleans gives a good sense on what the Wilfs want. And there were just as many reports about Zimmer’s future relying on a postseason bid this offseason. 

The Wilfs watch the games just like the fans, and they are seeing a team with a lot of talent underperform. Talent is the GM’s responsibility. Performance is the coach’s. 

• Like 1

Just now, SemperFeist said:

I think the reports that Zimmer saved his job with the playoff win over New Orleans gives a good sense on what the Wilfs want. And there were just as many reports about Zimmer’s future relying on a postseason bid this offseason. 

The Wilfs watch the games just like the fans, and they are seeing a team with a lot of talent underperform. Talent is the GM’s responsibility. Performance is the coach’s. 

I think you can look at talent as a major concern. There were some really bad drafts from 2016 to 2019. The defense is where it is because talent was not properly added via the draft during that stretch. They’ve settled on signing vets that just aren’t working out like Peterson, Breeland, Tomlinson and Pierce.

i know defense is supposed to be Zimmer’s thing, but who do we have as standout talent? This isn’t 2017. Hunter, Kendricks and Smith? Woods, Barr and Griffen are okay but replaceable. The rest is below average honestly. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think this is a great summation of what’s wrong with Zimmer. 

Agreed. Seems they played the same way against Cleveland too. Just wonder how much this has to do with Cousins under center and how Zimmer truly feels about that. Maybe Zimmer’s mind is made up that he has to protect him given some of Cousins past struggles.

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Agreed. Seems they played the same way against Cleveland too. Just wonder how much this has to do with Cousins under center and how Zimmer truly feels about that. Maybe Zimmer’s mind is made up that he has to protect him given some of Cousins past struggles.

It has been every QB and every OC.....so I doubt this is about Cousins or the OC. Besides, he can think this all he wants, it doesn't work. 

9 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I would be on board with Byron Leftwich. He is a leader, and with how highly Bruce Arians speaks of him, that is good enough for me.

That's who I've been favoring.  I'm not a Kellen Moore fan...yes, he did a nice job getting Cooper Rush prepared, but his play-calling wasn't exactly out of this world either...it was pretty simple to call plays and execute them when the CBs are playing in the next county off the receivers.  

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I think you can look at talent as a major concern. There were some really bad drafts from 2016 to 2019. The defense is where it is because talent was not properly added via the draft during that stretch. They’ve settled on signing vets that just aren’t working out like Peterson, Breeland, Tomlinson and Pierce.

i know defense is supposed to be Zimmer’s thing, but who do we have as standout talent? This isn’t 2017. Hunter, Kendricks and Smith? Woods, Barr and Griffen are okay but replaceable. The rest is below average honestly. 

I agree, Zimmer is supposed to be a defensive guy and the defense has been ok but nothing great and nothing good enough that wins games.  All the games they have won the offense played well or lead a drive late to win the game.  The defense has not really won any game this year and like you said Kendricks, Smith and Barr are honestly not what they used to be.  The games the D played good or ok, Cleveland and Dallas the offense sucked and they lost.

So honestly it is time for Zimmer to go, players are not responding to his coaching, he is not leading the team and most of all the team is not playing inspired, motivated or passionate football.  Almost like they are just waiting to lose and surprised when the succeed then get back to playing up an down inconsistent football which is becoming the norm.

Unless Zimmer wins a ton the rest of the year, the is long gone.  They are 3-7 over the past few games including preseason and were obviously not great last year.  

Leslie Frazier and Todd Bowles I would not hate either, Frazier has been a damn good D coordinator for Buffalo and Bowles has been flat outstanding in Tampa Bay.  Not sure the Vikings have the fit for a 3/4 but who knows, Bowles has done amazing things in Tampa with that D though.

I would be fine if the Vikings hired any of these guys, change it up a bit. 

Ryan Day

Eric Bieniemy

Joe Woods

Byron Leftwitch

Sean Desai

Ray Day honestly would be at the very top of my list but not sure he would leave Ohio State, but he is outstanding as a coach and arguably the best coach out there in the college ranks in terms of a move to the pros.  

I keep going back to Doug Pederson. I know his time was kind of toxic at the end, but how much did that have to do with the Foles vs Wentz debate and ownership essentially going with Wentz? I know he had some disagreements with the analytics team too but kind of seems like he got the last laugh.

Edited by vikingsrule

14 minutes ago, viking said:

I want the best young offensive mind.

No old D coordinators

Then the answer would be Ryan Day, but not sure he even wants to coach in the NFL but seems the most pro ready college super star Head Coach around.

Sure no old D coordinators but yeah right Frazier and Bowles do not deserve another head coaching job opportunity, especially Bowles with how great that D is when healthy, easily the best front 7 in football arguably.  BS for anyone that does not believe black coaches get passes over for Head coaching jobs constantly in football, would be nice to see that change but they have been working on it for years and it never really does.  

College coaches rarely translate to the NFL as head coaches. I'm out on any college coach.

I say this again. The play calling has been bad. The trust in Kubs system was ignorant. However, thee has to be some accountability on the players not preforming.

Not saying Zim has earned the right to keep his job. Too completely blame him is very short sided.