EDGE rushers

lark25

27 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

With the new DC it’s hard to tell what front we’ll be running, he’s largely said it’ll be a hybrid and fit the scheme around the personnel. 

An edge rusher is the immediate and obvious need though, which makes me ???

I was watching him vs Alabama and Arkansas.  He seems to play 2 gap a lot.  He does not have many/any pass rushing moves other than a bull rush.  They drop him in to coverage and he does pretty good with his movement, ext.  I have seen him line up as 5 tech, 7 tech and 3 tech at various times.

Personally, I would be cautious about falling in love with a combine star that is not showing advanced pass rushing skills.  It is hard to figure out if that is the Georgia scheme for him holding him back or his skill level.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Scoundrel said:

Georgia scheme my friends. Walker will be a player who starts to dominate at the end of his rookie year/start of his second. Quote me if you must. 

I get the scheme did him no favors, but I still didn’t see much feel or ability when he was asked to do it as @jebricksaid. That may come in time, but taking a guy with those questions top 5 just seems like a risk not worth taking to me.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I get the scheme did him no favors, but I still didn’t see much feel or ability when he was asked to do it as @jebricksaid. That may come in time, but taking a guy with those questions top 5 just seems like a risk not worth taking to me.

So you want trex arms stiff hutch?

12 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Jurassic Park GIF by Vidiots

Arm length is part of the evaluation, but it’s not all of it. There’s also guys in the NFL putting up double digit sack seasons (without his athletic profile) with a similar arm length.

Different position but we literally just had this whole discussion about Slater a year ago and how he couldn’t stay at OT because he had 33 inch arms, which is another position where arm thresholds are taken seriously.

26 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Arm length is part of the evaluation, but it’s not all of it. There’s also guys in the NFL putting up double digit sack seasons (without his athletic profile) with a similar arm length.

Different position but we literally just had this whole discussion about Slater a year ago and how he couldn’t stay at OT because he had 33 inch arms, which is another position where arm thresholds are taken seriously.

33 is the threshold though and Slater met that 

5 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

33 is the threshold though and Slater met that 

33 is the threshold for some teams. Pretty sure Andy Reid has stated 34 1/4 arms before in his eyes if I remember right. Fairly certain Rhule stated Slater was a guard too based on measurements.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Someone talk me off the ledge with Travon Walker.

I like him as a prospect, but his lack of pass rush ability shown in college throws me off him, especially when we’re talking the top pick/top 5.

The only thing I can fall back on is just how rare he is athletically and how stout he is against the run, but you need to be able to get after in the pass rush department if you’re getting taken this high imo.

Rashan Gary.  That's pretty much what you're hoping/anticipating.  Rashan Gary's pass rush production was lacking (9.5 sacks over 3 years) largely because he was being asked to eat blocks.  Chase Winovich owes his rookie paycheck to Gary.  The upside is tremendous, but you're going to have to trust your coaching staff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Rashan Gary.  That's pretty much what you're hoping/anticipating.  Rashan Gary's pass rush production was lacking (9.5 sacks over 3 years) largely because he was being asked to eat blocks.  Chase Winovich owes his rookie paycheck to Gary.  The upside is tremendous, but you're going to have to trust your coaching staff.

Zero reason to believe this organization all the sudden begins to have success developing someone.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Zero reason to believe this organization all the sudden begins to have success developing someone.

I'm not disagreeing with that.  It's a bit too rich for my liking to take him at 1, but if I were a team picking in that 5-10 range and both Hutch and Thibs were off the board, he'd likely be my #1 EDGE available.  He's got tremendous physical tools.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not disagreeing with that.  It's a bit too rich for my liking to take him at 1, but if I were a team picking in that 5-10 range and both Hutch and Thibs were off the board, he'd likely be my #1 EDGE available.  He's got tremendous physical tools.

This type of eval I can get behind (although I’m a big Jermaine fan).

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

This type of eval I can get behind (although I’m a big Jermaine fan).

You're not the only one.  He's a stud as well.  This EDGE class is super strong at the top of the draft.  You'll find quality ones into Day 2.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Someone talk me off the ledge with Travon Walker.

I like him as a prospect, but his lack of pass rush ability shown in college throws me off him, especially when we’re talking the top pick/top 5.

The only thing I can fall back on is just how rare he is athletically and how stout he is against the run, but you need to be able to get after in the pass rush department if you’re getting taken this high imo.

High risk/high reward pick. Unbelievable athleticism and hands of concrete. The tools are there for him to be elite. But the skills and football IQ haven't caught up. Slow off the snap, hand usage isn't great, approach isn't varied or nuanced enough, etc. All will come down to how he develops. You could end up with a great run stopper who never develops into anything more than a middling pass rusher. Or you could end up with the next Cam Jordan.

• Like 1