EDGE rushers

lark25

25 minutes ago, Daniel said:

No one.  But the whole conversation around Karloftis in general just seems to be should he be a high first round pick.

He's a different player from Hubbard, though. Hubbard is a super technically sound guy who has great quicks and effort, but he doesn't really have any standout trait as a pass rusher. That isn't to insult the player he is. He's a reliable, sound run defender who will pressure and sack enough because of his high-revving motor. He's a glue guy. But he's not an impact player.

I think Karlaftis can be an impact player. He won't be in that elite tier of impact rushers, but he can certainly be in the good/very good tier. I really think people underestimate just how impressive his power is for a 20 year old. This is a dude who isn't physically maxed out. When you combine that power with his explosive get-off and his technical prowess/savvy at his young age, I think it speaks of good things.

Hubbard has decent explosion and good agility but neither are elite, and his long speed is not good. Agree he is a good #2 edge on the team and above avg for that but not the same level of impact player as Karlaftis.

Quote from Karlaftis 

"I don't give a crap about the official numbers and that kind of stuff. The stuff we talk about internally more is like how you affect the game is the ultimate factor. How I was able to affect opposing offenses, how I was able to garner attention for myself. I had two or three blockers on me at all times, which freed up our other guys. I think that's more significant. I think to a certain extent sacks are overrated. I know people like sacks and all that. I think the way you affect the quarterback, pressure the quarterback and affect the game is more significant. I am who I say I am. The tape speaks for itself."

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Quote from Karlaftis 

"I don't give a crap about the official numbers and that kind of stuff. The stuff we talk about internally more is like how you affect the game is the ultimate factor. How I was able to affect opposing offenses, how I was able to garner attention for myself. I had two or three blockers on me at all times, which freed up our other guys. I think that's more significant. I think to a certain extent sacks are overrated. I know people like sacks and all that. I think the way you affect the quarterback, pressure the quarterback and affect the game is more significant. I am who I say I am. The tape speaks for itself."

Good quote and honestly very solid time for Karlaftis, super cool he ran outside shirtless showed off some toughness in the cooler weather as well.  Good showing for sure, I thought he would be more in the 4.8 range but no shocker he is not a 4.5 guy.  

Karlaftis 40 time would have ranked 12th at the combine out of all the DEs/edge players and the guys ahead of him are mostly the top guys in Thibodeaux, Jermaine Johnson, Travon Walker, Ojabo, Bonitto, Sam Williams but he did out run Hutchinson by a little.  And 8 of the guys ahead of Karlaftis in time were sub 4.6 guys.  

Good showing by him with that time and good quote also, but would have been an easy way to get around being asked those questions about production, produce and get to the QB.  He should not pretend he is the only guy that saw double teams in college.  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Good quote and honestly very solid time for Karlaftis, super cool he ran outside shirtless showed off some toughness in the cooler weather as well.  Good showing for sure, I thought he would be more in the 4.8 range but no shocker he is not a 4.5 guy.  

Karlaftis 40 time would have ranked 12th at the combine out of all the DEs/edge players and the guys ahead of him are mostly the top guys in Thibodeaux, Jermaine Johnson, Travon Walker, Ojabo, Bonitto, Sam Williams but he did out run Hutchinson by a little.  And 8 of the guys ahead of Karlaftis in time were sub 4.6 guys.  

Good showing by him with that time and good quote also, but would have been an easy way to get around being asked those questions about production, produce and get to the QB.  He should not pretend he is the only guy that saw double teams in college.  

Yeah, but name a better player on a worse team that faced more doubles and triples.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Suggs also had elite film and was dominant in college. I’m still not sold on Karlaftis, but maybe that’s because I watched him get dominated by a poor OSU OL who was exposed by Ojabo and Hutch.

Yeah Suggs had 65.5 TFLs, and 44 sacks, 14 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries, 2 interceptions, and 9 passes deflected.   That is insane production for sure and wildly impressive.  Note, I believe the leader all time in college football history for sacks has 45.  There is something special about actually finishing and getting to the QB, a lot of guys are athletic but one has to use it to get sacks and finish plays.  

3 minutes ago, lark25 said:

Yeah, but name a better player on a worse team that faced more doubles and triples.

You think Kingsley Enagbare was not double teamed, Richard Jibunor, Owen Carney, Scott Patchan etc?  I do not have the stats of the most double teamed player in college football, maybe it was Georgie but who knows, usually good players get doubled unless they are Ojabo and have Hutchinson opposite him.  Think Chase Young was double teamed?  Probably a hell of a lot more than George Karlaftis was, the dude almost won the Heisman Trophy.  

Since when is it not common practice to double team a pass rusher a team might be having trouble with?  It is not that out of the ordinary, as for triple teams, well a back chipping on you for a few seconds not sure that is a triple team.  

1 hour ago, lark25 said:

Karlaftis ran a 6.78 3 cone. Maybe we add 0.1s given pro day but hes still a sub 7 3 cone. Fantastic time

10yd, 3 cone, vert, broad in that order. Only question is on the 10

Holy moly, that's an insane three cone time for a guy his size.

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

Quote from Karlaftis 

The man is right.

2 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

All I was saying is Jimmy Johnson was mentioned as not drafting an edge 4.8 or slower and I think if you live off that you can miss out on solid players y’all just took it in a different direction 

I think explosiveness ( measured in VJ and BJ)  are the key for any edge rusher.  You can have explosiveness and fail in the NFL but there are no players without the explosive jump/first step who are even JAG edge rushers.  Karlaftis is explosive enough.  People might worry that he is maxed out and that is fair.

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think explosiveness ( measured in VJ and BJ)  are the key for any edge rusher.  You can have explosiveness and fail in the NFL but there are no players without the explosive jump/first step who are even JAG edge rushers.  Karlaftis is explosive enough.  People might worry that he is maxed out and that is fair.

Agree generally but there's a few exceptions. Markus Golden is definitely much better than a jag and had a 28.5 vert and 9'2 broad to go with a 4.9 40

44 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Holy moly, that's an insane three cone time for a guy his size.

The man is right.

True but JJ Watt had a 6.88 3 cone at 290 pounds being 6-5 and had a bench press of 34 reps at 225 with 34" arm length.  But sure Karlaftis time if legit is impressive but Travon Walker again was physically more impressive and he is taller, heavier and longer.  

George Karlaftis 6-4 266  32 5/8" arms  6.78 3 cone, 4.71 40, 121 broad jump, 4.36 short shuttle

Travon Walker 6-5 272 35 1/2" arms  6.89 3 cone, 4.51 40, 123 broad jump, 4.32 short shuttle

So if one guy is oh wow look at that, why is the other guy not?  And sure maybe the man is right in his quote but again if you do not want the questions then finish at the QB and produce if you are so great.  But yeah he had a solid showing at the Pro day which will help him.  He has had to overcome a lot, death of his father, family moving to the US after his fathers death, his girl friend almost died in a car wreck, so he has been through a lot.

In this highlight clip show of 2021 the man is unblocked on multiple plays.  He was doubled once and chipped with a back so I guess that is triple teamed but then again not really.  Then got single blocked and chipped with a back yet still got a sack on the last play, single blocked on a majority of these highlights though or not blocked at all.  Now maybe these are the only times he was single blocked all year but come on, that is not true.  Maybe he was productive because he was singled and that is what happens but I doubt that is the case.

Interesting prospect, better athlete I guess in terms of his performance running and at the combine but looking at the dude on th efield you would not think it.  I really dislike his lack of variety in pass rush moves, he does not have many pass rush moves at all and if he does not win with quickness off the bat or a bull rush he is limited.  If a guy gets his hands of him not sure he can always get off unless he over powers the dude and that is clearly not going to happen nearly as much in the NFL.  He has work to do that is for sure, but still unlike what the dude says he is not always blocked by like a million dudes, so come on get off the block and get some variety in your pass rush.