EDGE rushers

lark25

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Where were Hutch and Thib on Brugler's and DJ's board?

Higher I assume (especially Hutch), but that’s not really the point. If you have a guy in a similar range and one shows freakish traits/measureables (especially at edge), that can definitely tip the scale. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Higher I assume (especially Hutch), but that’s not really the point. If you have a guy in a similar range and one shows freakish traits/measureables (especially at edge), that can definitely tip the scale.

Sure, just saying Travon wasn't DE1 on any board prior to the combine. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I will say, the floor on Walker probably isn’t as low as some worry too. He’s a great run defender, and you can always bring him inside on pass rushing downs if he’s struggling in space.

That doesn't sound like a #1 pick, though. I'm not picking someone who sets the edge but is very limited rushing the passer in the top 3. 

I respect Dane and don't mind Daniel, and I think 16 is reasonable for Walker. But there is a lot of data chatter in draft stock intermittent rankings and you can prove almost anything is true from them, if arguing with someone that puts stock in them. But remember that these two are smart enough to know Walker is an athletic freak before the combine. To bump him further for an athletic freak killing the combine would be double counting.

Anyway, I am immune to the Appeal to Authority arguments of Racer, you, or anyone else. So are many around here. If I don't see it, I try not to say it.

I see a football player who does not currently know how to play any NFL position. I am sure he can learn, but not sure he can learn every skill he needs for the edge position. They will sell it as "positionless football." But in reality they will bounce him around until they find his best fit. As an edge possibility he will get every chance to work out there.

If he played tight end, he would be ranked whereever Jelani Woods is ranked. If Jelani Woods was a possible edge, he would be where Walker is being discussed.

To be clear, I am not saying I believe Walker will be a bad player. He could work out great at DE once he sheds the four point stance and is told to fire off and get the quarterback, but I do not know. If I were Jax I would push him into working with a private coach of repute and be getting reports. How is his getoff? How is his bend? How is his learning curve? Cuz all we know is he was a good soldier for Ga.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oregon Ducks said:

That doesn't sound like a #1 pick, though. I'm not picking someone who sets the edge but is very limited rushing the passer in the top 3. 

Yeah, if any prospect only hits their floor, it usually makes them a bad first pick.

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

I will say, the floor on Walker probably isn’t as low as some worry too. He’s a great run defender, and you can always bring him inside on pass rushing downs if he’s struggling in space.

I would hope his floor is Cam Heyward.  Very similar size.  Heyward put on some weight to play.

51 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I would hope his floor is Cam Heyward.  Very similar size.  Heyward put on some weight to play.

Wasn't Cam Heyward like 290-300 pounds on Ohio State.  Travon Walker has never been that large and with how athletic he is it would be foolish to put on weight, but sure he could play 3/4 DE at 275 and do just fine he did it at Georgia.  Jaguars want him as a edge guy opposite Josh Allen I assume.

Still seems nuts, because if Evan Neal worked out and did all the drills and did well he would be the #1 overall pick.  And Jawaan Taylor still sucks but maybe they like Walker Little will take his place or put Little at LT and move Robinson to RT.  

13 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Wasn't Cam Heyward like 290-300 pounds on Ohio State.  Travon Walker has never been that large and with how athletic he is it would be foolish to put on weight, but sure he could play 3/4 DE at 275 and do just fine he did it at Georgia.  Jaguars want him as a edge guy opposite Josh Allen I assume.

Still seems nuts, because if Evan Neal worked out and did all the drills and did well he would be the #1 overall pick.  And Jawaan Taylor still sucks but maybe they like Walker Little will take his place or put Little at LT and move Robinson to RT.  

Sheesh...y'all just say anything... https://www.profootballnetwork.com/travon-walker-georgia-dt-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/