EDGE rushers

lark25

5 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Plus, he fits what Jacksonville needs. A dude that can play all over that defensive front from a 9 to 7 to 6i to 5 to 3 tech. He has elite versatility and an endless ceiling.

To me that chess piece dude is not who you take number 1 overall. If you’re taking a pass rusher overall I think you want potential to get 14-17 sacks a year. 

Nothing I’ve seen makes me think Walker is that kind of pass rusher. I don’t see him beating the top tackles as an outside rusher consistently. I agree he’s a move around piece for sure, but I don’t think he’s a cornerstone pass rusher. And Hutch and Kayvon are. I’m not taking a move around dude number 1 overall with top tier pass rushers on the board. 

To me taking Walker over Hutch/ Kayvon is taking Clowney over Khalil Mack. Don’t watch the combine watch the tape. You watch all 3 guys back to back there’s no way you could think Walker is the best pass rusher of the 3. You’d be lieing to yourself. Now if you don’t care about drafting the top pass rusher at 1 then that’s a Jacksonville type move that’s got them where they are. If you want Walker try and trade down, but I’m not taking him over Hutch and Kayvon that’s just irresponsible. 

Edited by brownie man
  • Like 4

In reading this thread I remain amazed at the lack of scrutiny toward Chase Young two years ago. The recent pages of this thread have properly contained analysis of the physical traits along with playing style. Somehow that didn't apply to Chase Young. Nobody bothered to look at his lack of explosiveness and dodging all the related test scores, even though this very site is the place those test scores took on the significance and spotlight they deserve. We have comments here and on RAS sites about some edge guys this year who either skipped one drill or put up a shaky score in one drill. Meanwhile Chase Young put nothing on the table. Subjectivity always should be relegated when superior methods are demonstrably available. 

Chase Young will be markedly better in 2022 than in 2021, despite coming off the injury. He was underachieving and will revert to the norm. But that norm is nowhere close to the buttery raves of his final college season and leading up to the draft. 

I look forward to the day when subjectivity is similarly demoted in other positions. We seem to be getting closer with some of the advanced stats in regard to college quarterbacks.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

In reading this thread I remain amazed at the lack of scrutiny toward Chase Young two years ago. The recent pages of this thread have properly contained analysis of the physical traits along with playing style. Somehow that didn't apply to Chase Young. Nobody bothered to look at his lack of explosiveness and dodging all the related test scores, even though this very site is the place those test scores took on the significance and spotlight they deserve. We have comments here and on RAS sites about some edge guys this year who either skipped one drill or put up a shaky score in one drill. Meanwhile Chase Young put nothing on the table. Subjectivity always should be relegated when superior methods are demonstrably available. 

Chase Young will be markedly better in 2022 than in 2021, despite coming off the injury. He was underachieving and will revert to the norm. But that norm is nowhere close to the buttery raves of his final college season and leading up to the draft. 

I look forward to the day when subjectivity is similarly demoted in other positions. We seem to be getting closer with some of the advanced stats in regard to college quarterbacks.

There was scrutiny on Chase Young, with some posters indicating a lack of explosion, particularly based on historical testing when he was 18. Others suggested marked improvement, but the difference here is that Chase had the tape and production to suggest he could and probably would be very good pass rusher.

3 hours ago, brownie man said:

To me taking Walker over Hutch/ Kayvon is taking Clowney over Khalil Mack. Don’t watch the combine watch the tape. You watch all 3 guys back to back there’s no way you could think Walker is the best pass rusher of the 3. You’d be lieing to yourself. Now if you don’t care about drafting the top pass rusher at 1 then that’s a Jacksonville type move that’s got them where they are. If you want Walker try and trade down, but I’m not taking him over Hutch and Kayvon that’s just irresponsible. 

You're absolutely right. That said, taking the shiniest new toy on the shelf--regardless of how hard it will be to put together--is exactly what bad organizations do. Jacksonville and Detroit didn't get into the top five by making good choices. So I won't be surprised at all if one of them does spring for Walker over Hutch and/or Thibs. 

So far posters in this thread have been on the money for draft positions:

- travon, hutch and thib - all early 1st rounder 

- JJ and Gk mid to late first rounders

- Ebikitie and Mafe early 2nd.

Rated the 2nd rounders as good to excellent picks.

Edited by lark25