Around the NFL

LeeEvans

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

0 shot he leaves OU for an OC job. I’m not ready to give up on McDermott yet. At least give him a chance when he has a competent offense.

Watching Obj and Julio play tonight makes me sick. We passed on both of them for Sammy Watkins and Marcel Dareus. And to be perfectly honest we took the players i wanted at the time. 

Dareus is excusable, he was the most dominant DT in the league here for a couple years and should have been first team all-pro. Nobody could have known he'd get fat and lazy when Rex showed up. We should be angry more that we won a couple meaningless games late in the year that cost us Von Miller or a chance at Cam Newton.

Watkins though? That's an all time franchise haunting mistake, not just taking him, but sacrificing our first rounder the next year to get him has major ripples that directly impact the significant lack of talent here today.

13 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I wanted McDermott before anyone else and knew he could be something special. But hearing him on wgr saying we have to be a running team because we play in Buffalo is the final straw for me. How much longer are we going to ignore the offense and the way the NFL is going for these "Buffalo" guys or whatever they are.

So done. 

Hes got to say what he has to say in order to keep the fans interested. at this point you have an injured allen, peterman who cant throw, and Anderson who has been on the team for a whopping 2 weeks. Im not trying to make excuses for McDermott but he clearly cannot say we need to throw more cause that has been a disaster with all the turnovers. Not to mention they have no weapons on offense. I thought Kbenji would be a great addition but he just checked out before the season even started cause he knows if he plays the risk game it could cost him financially. It is time to move on from him. The offense isn't going to change, people can complain about it week 1 or week 13 but all in all this is what they have for the year and just have to ride it out and see what they can do in the offseason. Bringing in olineman and Wr via free agency and draft is going to upgrade the offense. You just have to roll with it. If the owner was you and gave up on the coaching staff and/or gm now then this annoying circle starts all over again and the bills will be again disappointing. They will bring in a new guy who would want their own players and the good ones that have been producing could be gone as they do not want old regime guys. This is why the bills have sucked consistently over the 20+ years because their  HC average 2.5 seasons which gives them no chance of building up a contender. Year one they figure out what they have and bring in a couple of guys that they know from their old job, year 2 they clean some of the locker room up and get rid of guys who arent giving it there all or they were pro previous regime and not committing to this one, year 3 they build up the team to have a solid structure, year 4 and 5 they push to be contenders. We are only in year 2 and we made the playoffs last year, even with luck they barely made it but its what we have as fans to show for it over the last 20 years. If you pull the plug now this will only hurt us as fans. I think these guys deserve to be here 4-5 years so they can atleast see what can happen. When it all comes down to it, the qb is going to make or break their job. They latched on to Allen and they are going to ride with him or they will get canned. You have to give Allen time to develop i think 2020 is going to be where they are on the hot seat. What is concerning is the oline coach and OC, McDermott has to do a better job finding a guy who is under the radar and not go for someone who has failed at the OC level a couple of times like he did with Daboll and last years disaster.

14 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I wanted McDermott before anyone else and knew he could be something special. But hearing him on wgr saying we have to be a running team because we play in Buffalo is the final straw for me. How much longer are we going to ignore the offense and the way the NFL is going for these "Buffalo" guys or whatever they are.

So done. 

I've got to agree with soflbills, I think hes just saying that because we're a **** hole offensive team with a **** offensive line, **** WRs and **** QBs available. We have to run the ball because we have nothing else and running gives a slightly higher chase than Derek Anderson throwing the ball to practice squad level receivers 50 times a game. This years offense has been a disaster, we just have to wait it out and hope our massive cap room is invested into a brand new offense. 

This season has been the worst I can remember and it's going to be a miserable wait for it to end. I think there is a bright future and somewhat of a plan but we're going to pay for it the rest of this year. 

I've completely flipped on my Shady stance. Trade him and get some picks, this team is a disaster this year and he isnt going to change that or even really help much. Give him a shot at being on a good team and get some value for him. 

Chad Kelly just ruined any chance of being a qb in the NFL after being arrested late last night/early morning for 1st degree trespassing. 

Ei Apple traded for a 4th and 7th rd pick to saints. I think if they got that for Apple the bills can get that for Kbenji if there is a team out there that wants him. 

Just now, soflbillsfan said:

Chad Kelly just ruined any chance of being a qb in the NFL after being arrested late last night/early morning for 1st degree trespassing. 

Ei Apple traded for a 4th and 7th rd pick to saints. I think if they got that for Apple the bills can get that for Kbenji if there is a team out there that wants him. 

Chad Kelly is a moron and a scumbag. I am shocked by this explosive revelation.

Shocked I say.

@soflbillsfan @LeeEvans

I get what you guys are saying . But from day 1 McDermott has been about defense and running the ball.

My main issue is right now I am not convinced in anyway that Bean or McDermott know how to put a competent offense out there even with all the money they'll have. The 2019 off-season will make or break their tenure. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

@soflbillsfan @LeeEvans

I get what you guys are saying . But from day 1 McDermott has been about defense and running the ball.

My main issue is right now I am not convinced in anyway that Bean or McDermott know how to put a competent offense out there even with all the money they'll have. The 2019 off-season will make or break their tenure. 

I'm right there with you. I think if we go anything less than 7-9 or 8-8 next season the thought of getting rid of McDermott should be a really possibility. Last season was awesome but frankly we weren't a very good team and this season has been abysmal and I cant really see it getting any better.

I was completely ready to take a step or two back this season but this is a full on tank job at the moment. I'm not sure if it was arrogance in thinking we could get more out of the players we have or a complete inability to grasp the situation. 

It will be very interesting to see if the acquisitions we make this offseason seem to have any plan or just sort of scattershot.

On 10/23/2018 at 6:38 PM, LeeEvans said:

I'm right there with you. I think if we go anything less than 7-9 or 8-8 next season the thought of getting rid of McDermott should be a really possibility. Last season was awesome but frankly we weren't a very good team and this season has been abysmal and I cant really see it getting any better.

I was completely ready to take a step or two back this season but this is a full on tank job at the moment. I'm not sure if it was arrogance in thinking we could get more out of the players we have or a complete inability to grasp the situation. 

It will be very interesting to see if the acquisitions we make this offseason seem to have any plan or just sort of scattershot.

I get the theory of this, but I think the reality is that we simply will not be solving our OL issues this off-season. Because of this, I could see a 5 or 6 win season and be very comfortable in still keeping McDermott another year. The players just aren't going to be available IMO to truly fix this OL and as a result I expect us to struggle again offensively next year.

Look there is being a bad offensive team.

And there is, in the easiest era to field an offense in NFL history, being so bad that we're going to post stats that would be considered bad in 1995. The Bills are on pace for 2070 yards passing. Since 1999 here are the teams that did less than that according to Pro Football Reference: '05 49ers with 1898 yards passing, '05 Bears with 2002, '00 Bengals with 1946. The Bills are also on pace to finish with fewer rushing yards and passing TDs than any of those teams.

I don't care who you are, what contract you have, any of that. To field an offense THIS inept in THIS era and KNOW going into the year that we needed talent and add absolutely nothing? Take out no fliers?

Unacceptable. Flatly unacceptable. There needs to be accountability.

21 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Look there is being a bad offensive team.

And there is, in the easiest era to field an offense in NFL history, being so bad that we're going to post stats that would be considered bad in 1995. The Bills are on pace for 2070 yards passing. Since 1999 here are the teams that did less than that according to Pro Football Reference: '05 49ers with 1898 yards passing, '05 Bears with 2002, '00 Bengals with 1946. The Bills are also on pace to finish with fewer rushing yards and passing TDs than any of those teams.

I don't care who you are, what contract you have, any of that. To field an offense THIS inept in THIS era and KNOW going into the year that we needed talent and add absolutely nothing? Take out no fliers?

Unacceptable. Flatly unacceptable. There needs to be accountability.

I hear ya, but then what? Bring in new guys and start over again? I’d be game for it if they are ok with wanting Allen. I’m just worried someone is gonna come in and want their guy and not want to work with Josh. I truly believe he can be the guy if we can put anything around him. Anything, not asking for other worldly talent, just ya know, basic NFL level talent.

16 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I hear ya, but then what? Bring in new guys and start over again? I’d be game for it if they are ok with wanting Allen. I’m just worried someone is gonna come in and want their guy and not want to work with Josh. I truly believe he can be the guy if we can put anything around him. Anything, not asking for other worldly talent, just ya know, basic NFL level talent.

I don't fire people this year, but there HAS to be improvement quickly next season or there's gotta be a house cleaning. You can't spend thte draft capital we did on a rookie QB and leave him with what we left him.

14 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

@soflbillsfan @LeeEvans

You cant really put an offense together that quickly. Look you have a defensive mind guy who knows what he wants and how he wants to run it. Then you have Dennison and Daboll in there trying to fit their own offense which McDermott shouldnt have any say really in, other then draft this guy or take someone who is versatile with any offense. Not to mention then limitations they financially have had the past couple of years. You want to blame beane and McDermott for not bringing in guys but really you should be blaming Whaley for the inept contracts he was throwing out there. The knock beane has was the extension of Eric Wood had he known his career would be over in 6 months then he would have never signed him but all in all Whaley is at fault here. If the bills had some form of cap space the last 2 years and didnt solve some offensive problems then I would be pissed but realistically the guys who have been signed that are making impacts are the Guard and Tackles making 10+ mil a year which the bills couldnt possibly afford. Now that the bills defense has had al most 2 years to gel and bringing in guys who fit McDermott on what he wants to do they should have no issues on that side other then filling the Cb #2 and replacing Alexander if he retires and Kyle Williams. Now that the bills are settled in on that side of the field and have 90+ mil in cap space along with 10 picks they have the opportunity to put it together. You landed your qb which took an injured over bloated contract that whaley gave to cordy glenn and 2 second round picks. This is one of the hardest obstacles to overcome is getting your qb. There is always a couple of players that hit free agency on the oline. Last year was Norwell, Solder, and Jensen. The year before was Zeitler, Lang, Whitworth....So I see the bills being able to be aggressive this year to land a couple of them. Do I think the bills will be automatically contenders in 2019 by doing this? No but I think it will be 2020 which is the reasonable amount of time this organization needs before they are being discussed on getting fired. The bills brass have had one mishap since coming in to this organization and that was signing Aj McCarron over signing a seasoned Veteran QB who can help Peterman and Allen grow in the beginning of the offseason and not 2 weeks ago. Bodine hasnt been amazing but he has outperformed groy, if they had more money they could have brought in a solid center but they were limited. Newhouse landed them a draft pick in a trade thats basically all they could bring in at that time because of the cap limitations and not being able to pay the top tier guys that got 10+ mil this year. My concern is the OC and Oline coach I would like to see them change but Daboll may get another shot based on the limitations he was given. Castillo has had his time and needs to go his career is over and they need someone fresh. I wish they never canned Kromer i always liked him outside of his off field situation he was in. Rebuilding is never easy and your going to have some serious issues along the way but the moves they made I feel are the right for long term. They could have stuck with Tyrod, Glenn and Darius to stay a 7 to 9 win competitive team like they have been for the last 20 years or completely gut the contracts and build the foundation for a long term solution. I think it was the right move, if they are top 3-4 draft pick this year because of how bad they are playing but turn this squad in to a constant playoff caliber team for the next 5 years I will take that in a heart beat. This is the correct way it should be done to end the purgatory the bills are in.

Archived