Week 2 Texans @ Browns

amazingandre

What a great start to the season. I think we all have low expectations, but that was refreshing to see a team prepared and ready to take the field. Tyrod was the perfect game manager and the defense played sound enough to keep the Jags out of the end zone. 

Browns took a tough loss week 1 and will be eager to get a win at home. The have playmakers on both sides of the ball that will present challenges to us. This will be a good test on how this team will actually fare this season. Can we keep it close and squeak out a win? Will we get blown out by a more talented roster? 

I think we can keep it close and squeak out a victory. I am calling a tight game, but we win and shock the NFL. 

Texans 34

Browns 31

• Like 1

10 hours ago, amazingandre said:

I think we can keep it close and squeak out a victory. I am calling a tight game, but we win and shock the NFL. 

Texans 34

Browns 31

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I think we played the worst team in football last week and it’s got us over hyped. It’s all coming back to reality this week as we lose 38-17 

I'm in the middle of these two takes - I do think the Texans will play hard and keep it close, but I think Cleveland will overwhelm them with the talent they have at all levels.

Baker Mayfield will make a few plays, but will also make a few mistakes - however, I don't think the Texans have the guns to capitalize on those mistakes, as Denzel Ward is better than the entire Jaguars secondary on his own. Myles Garrett vs Laremy Tunsil should be a fun matchup, and I can see Jadevion Clowney playing his one "best game of his career" game against us. You KNOW he's looking to make a statement, and I can't see Charlie Heck or Marcus Cannon stopping him at full bore.

I do think we'll see another inspired performance from the secondary (no three INT game, but moreso hold the Browns to < 60% completion percentage). I don't think there's an answer to Nick Chubb, however.

Browns win 31-24. Texans earn respect from others for hanging in there with a vastly superior team, David Culley starts to get momentum as a darkhorse COTY candidate.

I think it'll come down to a few factors:

1. I don't expect Tyrod to turn it over, so will the Browns be able to get off the field on 3rd Down? Last week, they couldn't.

2. Myles Garrett vs. Tunsil will be a key matchup

3. Will the Browns turn it over? If they don't, they likely roll. If they do, they could be in trouble

Browns are frauds. They overrated from making the playoffs last year having had the 2nd easiest SOS and also somehow a negative point differential still despite winning 11 games. 

Texans win 24-22. It will seem like big upset (especially considering the line that is currently on the game) but then looking back at the end of the season it won’t be because the Browns will have a losing record.

Edited by Marco79

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, because I'm a known pessimist when it comes to the Texans...

56 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

1. I don't expect Tyrod to turn it over, so will the Browns be able to get off the field on 3rd Down? Last week, they couldn't.

I think as long as the Texans don't have to operate in 2nd/3rd and long that often, this could be interesting. If Cleveland can keep Tyrod to anything beyond 5 yards on 2nd/3rd down, it's more than likely they'll do better this week. Tyrod's risk averseness is good for turnovers, but it also takes chunk plays off the menu (unless you're up against Jacksonville's taxed secondary). Short down/distance situations will give way to the newest Texans' WR Danny Amendola, who looked better in the slot than Keke Coutee and Randall Cobb ever did as Texans.

2. Myles Garrett vs. Tunsil will be a key matchup

It no doubt is going to be a fun matchup to watch on a 2nd viewing (or if you have access to the All 22) but I think the matchup of the week will be Jadevion Clowney vs Charlie Heck/Marcus Cannon; You have to think Clowney wants to show out against his old team (I have a suspicion that Clowney isn't a big fan of the McNair family, based on some comments made by Bob McNair a while back). The pure athleticism and destructive capability of Clowney isn't lost on anyone here, but his motor and drive is always in question; I think his first game against the team that drafted him 1.1 is going to get that motor revving... 

3. Will the Browns turn it over? If they don't, they likely roll. If they do, they could be in trouble

Turnovers seem to be the focal point of Lovie Smith's defensive scheme - concepts are kept simple just so guys can play fast and get their hands on the ball. Early returns are positive - the Texans picked off heir apparent Trevor Lawrence three times last week (which has never happened to Lawrence... at ANY level).

Baker Mayfield plays risky, but he's getting consistent with his performance - not having Odell Beckham has put Mayfield in a spot to produce by distributing the ball all over the field. If he can keep to that, he should be fine, but we'll see what Lovie has in the works. Jarvis Landry is the type of WR who traditionally eats up a Texans secondary, but we'll see if this particular secondary can sew him up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Sorry guys. But I'm going to probably pop in here and there as the season goes on and ask about Moreland (JFM). Do you think he'll get any playing time soon? Still steamed we let him go. 

Not really sure - maybe ST, but the duo of Terrance Mitchell and Vernon Hargreaves III is right now playing well a week into the season. Desmond King is manning the slot, so snaps are tough to come by.

Give it a week though...

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 10:44 AM, Marco79 said:

Browns are frauds. They overrated from making the playoffs last year having had the 2nd easiest SOS and also somehow a negative point differential still despite winning 11 games. 

Texans win 24-22. It will seem like big upset (especially considering the line that is currently on the game) but then looking back at the end of the season it won’t be because the Browns will have a losing record.

The browns can be total frauds and that doesn’t change how bad our team is lol

• Like 1