Chase Young turning into a bust?

mar29020

5 hours ago, mar29020 said:

7.5 sack in 18 career games. He's been very underwhelming and is not as advertised. He seems weak to mean and tries to speed rush all the time. This is very concerning!!

Khalil Mack had 6 through 18. Myles Garrett had 9 through 18. 

Secondary note, they took away a half sack from him yesterday it seems? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mar29020 said:

7.5 sack in 18 career games. He's been very underwhelming and is not as advertised. He seems weak to mean and tries to speed rush all the time. This is very concerning!!

Also, lol, as we have countless clips of him manhandling the O-Line. 

• Like 1

No, he’s not a bust. He’s not putting up the impressive eye popping sack numbers like he did his last year at Ohio State, but he’s not a bust. He’s playing really well & he’s clearly a leader on that defense despite just being 22, but those who only watch stats and not pay attention to what he’s doing on every play will probably call him a bust.

Just for example, Chase gets more attention from blockers than any other defensive lineman on the team. The focus Chase gets allows Montez Sweat & Jon Allen to gobble up sacks. Chase’s impact doesn’t show up on the stat sheet but his presence & the attention he gets helps Montez have 2 sacks in 2 games & Jon Allen have 2 sacks last night & have 3 sacks on the season as Allen & Chase play next to one another most snaps.

Who would’ve thought that Jon Allen would have 3 sacks in 2 games? 

I know I didn’t. The fact that Allen does in a lot of ways can be attributed to the presence of Chase Young playing next to him.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No, he’s not a bust. He’s not putting up the impressive eye popping sack numbers like he did his last year at Ohio State, but he’s not a bust. He’s playing really well & he’s clearly a leader on that defense despite just being 22, but those who only watch stats and not pay attention to what he’s doing on every play will probably call him a bust.

Just for example, Chase gets more attention from blockers than any other defensive lineman on the team. The focus Chase gets allows Montez Sweat & Jon Allen to gobble up sacks. Chase’s impact doesn’t show up on the stat sheet but his presence & the attention he gets helps Montez have 2 sacks in 2 games & Jon Allen have 2 sacks last night & have 3 sacks on the season as Allen & Chase play next to one another most snaps.

Who would’ve thought that Jon Allen would have 3 sacks in 2 games? 

I know I didn’t. The fact that Allen does in a lot of ways can be attributed to the presence of Chase Young playing next to him.

Was coming to say pretty much this. I'm glad someone got to it first

• Like 1

I won't say Chase is a bust, way too early for that. He also even without the sacks has been disruptive. But for being the #2 overall pick.... by the midpoint of this season he needs to figure out a way to be getting more sacks and QB hurries. He has been awesome against the run though. 

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

“His impact doesn’t show up on the stat sheet” is the way people feel better about busts tbh

No it’s not. When the players around him are feasting on sacks, QB pressures & QB hits that’s a direct reflection of Chase Young’s impact on the defense.

I mean all we have to do is compare the performance of the defense & the DL in 2019 vs what it was in 2020 after we drafted Chase to see his impact. 

I think Chase Young is trying to do too much. He's pressing and making bone headed mistakes - i.e., the offsides penalty and roughing the passing penalties last night.  His best play was when he cleaned up the Montez Sweat pressure and made a basic football play. Chase started off slow last year as well so give him time. So I don't think he's a bust or turning into one. I think fans are impatient and upset that the defense looks like crap (as they should be) so they are trying to blame whoever they can. i.e. Chase Young and Jamin Davis. 

• Like 1