Chase Young turning into a bust?

mar29020

Reporters asked DelRio why they didn’t run more stunts in the second half after running a few that were successful and he had no answer. Our defenders definitely need to play better, but the coaches need to do a better job of putting them in position to succeed as well.

• Like 3

On 10/5/2021 at 1:00 PM, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah. Not happy about it either. He needs to get his head out of a cramped space and stop freelancing and play smarter. He has the tools to do it. But right now, he's underwhelming me this year.

A possible theory that I'm stealing a bit from WJFK: last year the defense (and Chase Young) had no offseason and thus had to go with just athleticism and simple schemes.

This year, Jack Del Rio had a full offseason to put his schem in place and the defense is completely confused. If they got back to simpler things and let the players get out of their heads, we might see a return to form for guys like Young and others.

Problem is Del Rio isn't making that change. Only way to have it happen is to fire him. And I don't see Rivera doing that.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Woz said:

A possible theory that I'm stealing a bit from WJFK: last year the defense (and Chase Young) had no offseason and thus had to go with just athleticism and simple schemes.

This year, Jack Del Rio had a full offseason to put his schem in place and the defense is completely confused. If they got back to simpler things and let the players get out of their heads, we might see a return to form for guys like Young and others.

Problem is Del Rio isn't making that change. Only way to have it happen is to fire him. And I don't see Rivera doing that.

I agree with all of that. 

This is what I have been screaming at my poor wife for 4 straight weeks. That the Defense is not ready for the install JDR put in place - and that a simplified scheme will let them highlight their athleticism and speed. 

You know what she says? 

screaming schitts creek GIF by CBC

• Like 4

On 10/7/2021 at 11:32 AM, Troublez said:

This is what I have been screaming at my poor wife for 4 straight weeks. That the Defense is not ready for the install JDR put in place - and that a simplified scheme will let them highlight their athleticism and speed. 

You know what she says? 

screaming schitts creek GIF by CBC

True on both accounts brother! You’re right but you also shouldn’t be taking out your frustrations and on your wife! 😂 

• 1 month later...

I count 12 plays here in just these highlights where Chase got pressure/a QB hit which means he was a step away from getting a sack or his pressure forced the QB away from him where another DL got the the sack or throw the ball early so the QB wasn’t sacked and these plays don’t even count the 2 sacks that were taken away from him vs the Giants & Falcons for bogus roughing the passer calls.

Chase is playing much better than just the raw stats show. He’s certainly having an impact. 

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Chase is playing much better than just the raw stats show. He’s certainly having an impact. 

I think the fair point is Chase is playing better than what the stats show, but having an impact? That's what guys like Myles Garrett and Aaron Donald are doing. My opinion. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I think the fair point is Chase is playing better than what the stats show, but having an impact? That's what guys like Myles Garrett and Aaron Donald are doing. My opinion. 

So, it is about stats for you then?

Also, Garrett is 3 & a half years older than Chase Young, Aaron Donald is 8 years older, I would expect them to be more developed as pass rushers than a 22 year old.

Edited by turtle28

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So, it is about stats for you then?

Also, Garrett is 3 & a half years older than Chase Young, Aaron Donald is 8 years older, I would expect them to be more developed as pass rushers than a 22 year old.

It’s about game changing plays. Stats are somewhat interchangeable with that. One of the big differences between our 3rd down conversion percentages as a D? Myles gets home and sacks the QB. Or Darnold is in his face on the throw. 

Tout ages for whatever reason you are, We all thought Chase was going to do what Garrett and Darnold did in their 2nd and third years, and he hasn’t. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

It’s about game changing plays. Stats are somewhat interchangeable with that. One of the big differences between our 3rd down conversion percentages as a D? Myles gets home and sacks the QB. Or Darnold is in his face on the throw. 

Tout ages for whatever reason you are, We all thought Chase was going to do what Garrett and Darnold did in their 2nd and third years, and he hasn’t. 

You mean like the 2 forced fumbles, where he almost picked for Aaron Rodgers’s screen pass?

I have this feeling if he had made a few more of those plays or had intercepted Rodgers’s screen pass & returned it for a TD that you’d still be saying, YEAH BUT.

This is becoming an Orakpo thing, the expectations are so high for Chase that he’ll probably never reach almost peoples expectations of him even if he does end up being a double digit sack guy who has a few game changing plays every year in the future.

I totally understand though that so far Chase has been a disappointment, my point is there’s certainly time - even in this year - for him to start having a huge impact on the game. He’s made more plays than people realize the first half of the year, or forced pressures & hits that allowed others to make plays and I’d hope people realize that instead of trying immensely hard to find all the negatives.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I know Chase has had a down year. But effort and hard work will always pay off and I don’t think he’s not putting that in. I believe if we had any veteran pressance in that room like maybe a Kerrigan if only there was a vet we coulda had mentoring these young guys🤔🤔🤔 chase is going to be a great player. We as fans have been so beaten down that we dog our best players when really they are far and few between on this team for so long.

Players having growing pains in this league happen all the time. Honestly I’m just excited to see it click for this guy. He’s a local kid and we’re really lucky to have a guy who can turn a game around in a second like this guy can do. Hopefully we can just cheer for this guy while he grows and hopefully he breaks out and never looks back really soon. Because he has all world ability and it’s not like he’s not getting close. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You mean like the 2 forced fumbles, where he almost picked for Aaron Rodgers’s screen pass?

I have this feeling if he had made a few more of those plays or had intercepted Rodgers’s screen pass & returned it for a TD that you’d still be saying, YEAH BUT.

This is becoming an Orakpo thing, the expectations are so high for Chase that he’ll probably never reach almost peoples expectations of him even if he does end up being a double digit sack guy who has a few game changing plays every year in the future.

I totally understand though that so far Chase has been a disappointment, my point is there’s certainly time - even in this year - for him to start having a huge impact on the game. He’s made more plays than people realize the first half of the year, or forced pressures & hits that allowed others to make plays and I’d hope people realize that instead of trying immensely hard to find all the negatives.

This is why we can’t have nice things. We don’t just enjoy the players we have anymore because we’re always chasing the greatness of the 80’s and early 90’s as a fan base because for so long it’s been Barron. Chase is going to be a great player here. We have some great players they all flashed last year. This year the level of comp went up and these guys are getting their butts kicked because we’re facing better talent coaching and QB’s. This team is going to click and that doesn’t mean we win games. But the defense has been playing with better effort speed and vision. If things can get going better with certain young guys we’re counting on them maybe we can win a few games. Curl has flashed and been right there. AG has been right there. I believe Chase and those two are all going to figure it out before seasons end. Along with Juste Davis and I think before the end of the year Duece is going to make a few plays

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

This is why we can’t have nice things. We don’t just enjoy the players we have anymore because we’re always chasing the greatness of the 80’s and early 90’s as a fan base because for so long it’s been Barron. Chase is going to be a great player here. We have some great players they all flashed last year. This year the level of comp went up and these guys are getting their butts kicked because we’re facing better talent coaching and QB’s. This team is going to click and that doesn’t mean we win games. But the defense has been playing with better effort speed and vision. If things can get going better with certain young guys we’re counting on them maybe we can win a few games. Curl has flashed and been right there. AG has been right there. I believe Chase and those two are all going to figure it out before seasons end. Along with Juste Davis and I think before the end of the year Duece is going to make a few plays

Hey, last place scheduled coming next year baby! 😂 

Also can’t forget that Cosmi was our best draft pick so far from last years draft, it’s a shame he hurt his ankle, hopefully he’s back on Sunday.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Hey, last place scheduled coming next year baby! 😂 

Also can’t forget that Cosmi was our best draft pick so far from last years draft, it’s a shame he hurt his ankle, hopefully he’s back on Sunday.

I love Cosmi I believe he picks up right where he left off. I think he’s a real bright spot and it’s why I hope we can get our bookend LT in this class. I’d rather have a dominant OL coming out of this draft then banking hope on a first round QB I don’t trust at a top 5 selection. A good OL with our Backs and if we selected a QB the year after then you give that guy a line weapons and by then a defense that has comrodery