Chase Young turning into a bust?

mar29020

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

No, he’s not a bust. He’s not putting up the impressive eye popping sack numbers like he did his last year at Ohio State, but he’s not a bust. He’s playing really well & he’s clearly a leader on that defense despite just being 22, but those who only watch stats and not pay attention to what he’s doing on every play will probably call him a bust.

Just for example, Chase gets more attention from blockers than any other defensive lineman on the team. The focus Chase gets allows Montez Sweat & Jon Allen to gobble up sacks. Chase’s impact doesn’t show up on the stat sheet but his presence & the attention he gets helps Montez have 2 sacks in 2 games & Jon Allen have 2 sacks last night & have 3 sacks on the season as Allen & Chase play next to one another most snaps.

Who would’ve thought that Jon Allen would have 3 sacks in 2 games? 

I know I didn’t. The fact that Allen does in a lot of ways can be attributed to the presence of Chase Young playing next to him.

This. And seriously he has blown up a few TFL’s. And every Allen sack was stepped up because Chase was there on the edge about to get the sack. Sorry this guy actually looks nasty. His numbers will come because other guys have to show you can’t just do that to chase because they are getting home. I think it’s early he will adjust to what teams are doing as he did last year

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

This. And seriously he has blown up a few TFL’s. And every Allen sack was stepped up because Chase was there on the edge about to get the sack. Sorry this guy actually looks nasty. His numbers will come because other guys have to show you can’t just do that to chase because they are getting home. I think it’s early he will adjust to what teams are doing as he did last year

Exactly. When Sweat, Payne and Allen are getting home regularly, the protection will change and Chase will have an easier time feasting. Right now, he is the one the opposing offense needs to game plan for the most.

• Like 2

I’ve realized because the sucsess Herbert has that now no matter what to our fans they will compare. But the truth is we were picking joe or Chase. So if Chase has a bad game and now has had two non stat games while Herbert carved us this is going to be a consistent narrative. Chase is going to get his. But we also had no idea what to gameplan for against the Chargers. They had a whole new system and they had a offseason to plan. So I credit their staff who I am very high on. Chase will be just fine. It’s okay for us to have not selected a QB. We will figure that position out very soon. And having Chase is going to be huge for whoever that QB is whether he is rostered or has yet to be here Chase was an amazing pick for the locker room and on the field he is going to be a huge part of this team being successful.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I’ve realized because the sucsess Herbert has that now no matter what to our fans they will compare. But the truth is we were picking joe or Chase. So if Chase has a bad game and now has had two non stat games while Herbert carved us this is going to be a consistent narrative. Chase is going to get his. But we also had no idea what to gameplan for against the Chargers. They had a whole new system and they had a offseason to plan. So I credit their staff who I am very high on. Chase will be just fine. It’s okay for us to have not selected a QB. We will figure that position out very soon. And having Chase is going to be huge for whoever that QB is whether he is rostered or has yet to be here Chase was an amazing pick for the locker room and on the field he is going to be a huge part of this team being successful.

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Adam Sandler Yes GIF

6 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

Elite DE can best double teams or elite linemen 

he isn’t a busy or a bad player

he is an above average player May earn a pro bowl or two in his career….won’t be a defensive player of the year though as much of us hope 

will be a career 8 sack to 12 sack guy 

He’ll be one of the top 3 defensive players in the league by the start of next season. This is how most great pass rushers start their career. It starts slow, then all of a sudden the sacks start happening. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

Elite DE can best double teams or elite linemen 

he isn’t a busy or a bad player

he is an above average player May earn a pro bowl or two in his career….won’t be a defensive player of the year though as much of us hope 

will be a career 8 sack to 12 sack guy 

We can’t forget his age. He’s the focal point of every opposing offenses blocking scheme and he’s only 22. Chase will improve his technique & probably still get stronger as he enters his prime in his mid 20s. He hasn’t even reached his prime yet or his potential.

He’s an incredibly hard worker who has a high motor, guys like that eventually get their stats and make people who stat watch but don’t pay attention to how the players is playing the game happy.

I'm going to be contrarian mostly to be contrarian here (and with benefit of ton of hindsight):

Relative to what they could have selected for the long term success of the franchise (i.e. Herbert and, to a lesser extent, Tagovailoa), Chase Young is a bust.

The old saw about drafting still holds true:

1. If you don't have a quarterback, draft a quarterback.
  2. If you have a quarterback, draft his blindside protector.
  3. If you have the quarterback and the blindside protector, draft the guy to kill the other team's quarterback.

They went for #3 when #1 was still true.

Consider that in the 18 months since they drafted Chase Young, the Washington Football Team has seen five starting quarterbacks. Yes, this includes a former first round pick for the franchise, but one that people were dubious about at best coming into the 2020 season (I will admit that I wanted to see more of Haskins, but I wouldn't have been averse to them taking a QB at the top if they were convinced of that those guys would be studs, which was pretty clear). It also included a guy coming off of a broken leg and being on the IR for two years, a trade from the coach's old team, a UDFA who barely was on the roster before being thrown into the starting gig, and a 39 year old journeyman.

Had they locked up the QB position long term last year or even this year, the franchise probably would be on a better track.

That said, I wonder how much of this is Rivera. He went with Haskins as the starter in 2020 because A) there was basically no offseason to get a good sense of who was the starter, B) the owner really liked Haskins, C) Haskins beat out "his" guy (Allen), and D) no one thought Alex Smith would ever see the field again. This year, again, they had a choice to get a QB in the draft if they were aggressive. Instead, they seemed content to roll with a one year deal on Fitzpatrick, a UDFA-to-ERFA in Allen, and a "what the hell, roll the dice" two year contract on Heinicke.

I wonder if Rivera doesn't want a rookie QB in part due to his time in Carolina and dealing with Cam Newton. Is it possible he doesn't want to deal with the "headaches" of dealing with a guy who think they are all that and a bag of chips? That setup works if you can find a veteran QB to take the helm. However, it puts the franchise in a very "short term thinking/reacting" mentality. Which is where a coach thrives, but a GM dies. Given that Rivera is both right now, that's not good for this franchise.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

I'm going to be contrarian mostly to be contrarian here (and with benefit of ton of hindsight):

Relative to what they could have selected for the long term success of the franchise (i.e. Herbert and, to a lesser extent, Tagovailoa), Chase Young is a bust.

3. If you have the quarterback and the blindside protector, draft the guy to kill the other team's quarterback.

Consider that in the 18 months since they drafted Chase Young, the Washington Football Team has seen five starting quarterbacks. Yes, this includes a former first round pick for the franchise, but one that people were dubious about at best coming into the 2020 season (I will admit that I wanted to see more of Haskins, but I wouldn't have been averse to them taking a QB at the top if they were convinced of that those guys would be studs, which was pretty clear). It also included a guy coming off of a broken leg and being on the IR for two years, a trade from the coach's old team, a UDFA who barely was on the roster before being thrown into the starting gig, and a 39 year old journeyman.

Had they locked up the QB position long term last year or even this year, the franchise probably would be on a better track.

That said, I wonder how much of this is Rivera. He went with Haskins as the starter in 2020 because A) there was basically no offseason to get a good sense of who was the starter, B) the owner really liked Haskins, C) Haskins beat out "his" guy (Allen), and D) no one thought Alex Smith would ever see the field again. This year, again, they had a choice to get a QB in the draft if they were aggressive. Instead, they seemed content to roll with a one year deal on Fitzpatrick, a UDFA-to-ERFA in Allen, and a "what the hell, roll the dice" two year contract on Heinicke.

I wonder if Rivera doesn't want a rookie QB in part due to his time in Carolina and dealing with Cam Newton. Is it possible he doesn't want to deal with the "headaches" of dealing with a guy who think they are all that and a bag of chips? That setup works if you can find a veteran QB to take the helm. However, it puts the franchise in a very "short term thinking/reacting" mentality. Which is where a coach thrives, but a GM dies. Given that Rivera is both right now, that's not good for this franchise.

Well this thread is supposed to be about Chase Young, but I guess we’ll make it about the QB position again…

It’s on Rivera, he has final control. Just bc they had Haskins doesn’t mean they weren’t going to draft a QB. They were considering drafting Tua over Chase in the draft, to my knowledge they never even considered drafting Herbert and neither did anyone else in the top 5. A lot of fans act like we were the only ones who passed on Herbert when literally no one was considering him top 5 and a lot of people weren’t even sure he’d go top 10. The whole idea of Herbert being taken by us or anyone else in the top 5 is entire hindsight by anyone and I’m frankly tired of the discussion whether it’s on FF or Twitter.

Literally everyone who today is saying we should’ve taken Herbert didn’t consider him at all in the 2020 draft, they didn’t even like him as a prospect. So they need to just stop with the revisionist history.

Rivera said his biggest regret of last offseason was not having a real competition for the starting job.  Allen & Alex weren’t even really considered over Haskins which is what really irked Alex Smith and why he did the interviews he did/ said what he said after the season and all.

This is all on Rivera. It’s been his decision to not draft a QB in the draft - not matter the round - because he has Heinicke & Kyle Allen who Scott Turner likes and Rivera is trusting in Scott to run the offense. If Heinicke or Allen don’t work out, Rivera/Mayhew can’t find a trade parter to upgrade the QB position - which could be Jimmy G next year given Mayhew’s connection - and Rivera won’t draft a QB high to develop for our future it’s hard to see this team under him being anything but mediocre at best and the Rivera era not lasting & working out like we’d hope it would when we hired him.

39 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well this thread is supposed to be about Chase Young, but I guess we’ll make it about the QB position again…

It’s on Rivera, he has final control. Just bc they had Haskins doesn’t mean they weren’t going to draft a QB. They were considering drafting Tua over Chase in the draft, to my knowledge they never even considered drafting Herbert and neither did anyone else in the top 5. A lot of fans act like we were the only ones who passed on Herbert when literally no one was considering him top 5 and a lot of people weren’t even sure he’d go top 10. The whole idea of Herbert being taken by us or anyone else in the top 5 is entire hindsight by anyone and I’m frankly tired of the discussion whether it’s on FF or Twitter.

Literally everyone who today is saying we should’ve taken Herbert didn’t consider him at all in the 2020 draft, they didn’t even like him as a prospect. So they need to just stop with the revisionist history.

Rivera said his biggest regret of last offseason was not having a real competition for the starting job.  Allen & Alex weren’t even really considered over Haskins which is what really irked Alex Smith and why he did the interviews he did/ said what he said after the season and all.

This is all on Rivera. It’s been his decision to not draft a QB in the draft - not matter the round - because he has Heinicke & Kyle Allen who Scott Turner likes and Rivera is trusting in Scott to run the offense. If Heinicke or Allen don’t work out, Rivera/Mayhew can’t find a trade parter to upgrade the QB position - which could be Jimmy G next year given Mayhew’s connection - and Rivera won’t draft a QB high to develop for our future it’s hard to see this team under him being anything but mediocre at best and the Rivera era not lasting & working out like we’d hope it would when we hired him.

Because you apparently missed it at the top of my post

55 minutes ago, Woz said:

28 minutes ago, Woz said:

Because you apparently missed it at the top of my post

No, I got that.  I was just explaining my thoughts on it still for those who think we would’ve done anything different knowing what we knew in April of 2020 than what we did do in drafting Chase.

I wasn’t really going after you, I knew you were being contrarian, I was responding to that thought process for those who have it.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, Woz said:

I understand you’re being a contrarian simply to be a contrarian but at this moment Hebert is better than everyone else in that entire draft regardless of position. Going by your logic, unless I’m mistaken here Woz, everyone picked before Hebert is a bust. 

• Like 1