Chase Young turning into a bust?

mar29020

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

3 seconds is pretty quick. Do you realize that a 3 step drop takes about 3 seconds…

Which makes the short passes all the more important to defend. Or LBs suck at it and we have no DBs who can defend against it. 

With their poor coverage and the lack of press coverage being called, we're gonna get eaten alive each week.

One problem with press coverage is that you need a good FS to act as a "back stop". We don't have a good FS that starts for us.

• Like 1

One thing I don’t understand — well, in fairness, I do understand it — is that Chase is playing almost 90% of the snaps. That’s very high for an EDGE player, the highest I’ve seen in a quick scan of other elite pass-rush players. 

This is one of those scenarios that was completely predictable in the offseason. I was yelling about it over and over and over again. They needed a reliable 3rd pass-rusher so that they didn’t have to depend entirely on Sweat/Young in every single situation where they need to create some heat on the QB. It was so obvious that it’s pretty hard to believe that a group of professionals could have just completely blown it, and now are counting on JSW and Casey Toohill as their top reserves. When the whole defense is built around being able to get to the QB.

And so now we’re in a situation where our young uber-prospect is having to play more snaps than any other EDGE player in the league, mostly because they have no one they can justify taking him off the field for. Hard to imagine that’s not playing some role in him being close-but-not-quite-there so far. 

31 minutes ago, e16bball said:

One thing I don’t understand — well, in fairness, I do understand it — is that Chase is playing almost 90% of the snaps. That’s very high for an EDGE player, the highest I’ve seen in a quick scan of other elite pass-rush players. 

This is one of those scenarios that was completely predictable in the offseason. I was yelling about it over and over and over again. They needed a reliable 3rd pass-rusher so that they didn’t have to depend entirely on Sweat/Young in every single situation where they need to create some heat on the QB. It was so obvious that it’s pretty hard to believe that a group of professionals could have just completely blown it, and now are counting on JSW and Casey Toohill as their top reserves. When the whole defense is built around being able to get to the QB.

And so now we’re in a situation where our young uber-prospect is having to play more snaps than any other EDGE player in the league, mostly because they have no one they can justify taking him off the field for. Hard to imagine that’s not playing some role in him being close-but-not-quite-there so far. 

Maybe they are trying to play him into shape?

But he is supposed to be not only the best player, but the best athlete.  If he can't play the vast majority of the snaps at this age, he shouldn't have been the #2 pick. 

Anyways, he wouldn't be playing so many snaps, if he could actually sack the qb and get a stop.  The way I look at this last game is what if the defense got two more stops and the offense had two more chances?  They want to rest more, just play better and get off the field more.  

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

I saw this to.  Undisciplined play by both ends. That again should be on BOTH the players and the coaching staff. 

Payne and Allen were consistently collapsing the pocket and there was no one there to pick up the pieces. Especially in 1v1 scenarios our "elite" DEs need to get home. 

• Like 1