What to do at QB?!

hornbybrown

A lot will depend on what happens with the Patriots. It's going to be extremely difficult for them to carry Garoppolo alongside Brady next season, but they clearly value Jimmy and like him. You'd imagine Brady will continue to dominate, possibly even win again. How do you move on from that? So let's say, Garoppolo leaves.

I think that would begin the domino effect. Kirk Cousins. Maybe Alex Smith. Maybe Andrew Luck becomes available. A few teams are right there but being held back by the QB. Jacksonville would be frightening if they got their hands on the right guy. Pittsburgh might be in the market if Roethlisberger retires.

I also think the draft will deliver a few Top 10, maybe even Top 5 picks. Lamar Jackson is going top ten at the least in my opinion. By the time the draft gets here, his freakish skills will have propped him up with the hype at extreme levels. I'm not sold but I can't deny the idea of him on that Jags team is intriguing.

There's a lot of opportunity for the Browns to finally do something definitive about the QB position.

1 hour ago, Dogbite said:

Cousins is not a guarantee to go to San Francisco or stay in Washington as so many claim. He is going to go to the team that gives him the contract with the most money and security. He has been playing without security for longer than any good QB I can ever remember. It will all come down to years and dollars.

I mean, we all judge "security" differently, but I think it's safe to say making 40+ million over the last two years should at least provide him enough security to decide WHERE he wants to play on a nine figure contract.

1 hour ago, Aztec Hammer said:

A lot will depend on what happens with the Patriots. It's going to be extremely difficult for them to carry Garoppolo alongside Brady next season, but they clearly value Jimmy and like him. You'd imagine Brady will continue to dominate, possibly even win again. How do you move on from that? So let's say, Garoppolo leaves.

I think that would begin the domino effect. Kirk Cousins. Maybe Alex Smith. Maybe Andrew Luck becomes available. A few teams are right there but being held back by the QB. Jacksonville would be frightening if they got their hands on the right guy. Pittsburgh might be in the market if Roethlisberger retires.

I also think the draft will deliver a few Top 10, maybe even Top 5 picks. Lamar Jackson is going top ten at the least in my opinion. By the time the draft gets here, his freakish skills will have propped him up with the hype at extreme levels. I'm not sold but I can't deny the idea of him on that Jags team is intriguing.

There's a lot of opportunity for the Browns to finally do something definitive about the QB position.

Good post.

I don't know who will be available in FA or when we draft, but there will be multiple opportunities for us to improve the position.

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, we all judge "security" differently, but I think it's safe to say making 40+ million over the last two years should at least provide him enough security to decide WHERE he wants to play on a nine figure contract.

And each of those seasons if he had a Bridgewater type injury then no one would have wanted him in free agency. 20 mil per year would be huge for normal guys like us but 20 mil per year is less than at least a half dozen QBs in the NFL who have 6-7-8 year contracts would well more than 40 guaranteed even if they did suffer a career ending injury.

Also, more often than not the actually money means nothing to these guys. As you insinuated 20 million is plenty of security to live on a long time. In the NFL we are talking about 1700 of the biggest egos in the entire world and for a lot of guys they could careless if they make 20 mil a year or 25 mil a year, but it boils down to the 'respect' factor. What team is going to show me the respect I deserve and what prestige goes being the highest paid player. 

3 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

And each of those seasons if he had a Bridgewater type injury then no one would have wanted him in free agency. 20 mil per year would be huge for normal guys like us but 20 mil per year is less than at least a half dozen QBs in the NFL who have 6-7-8 year contracts would well more than 40 guaranteed even if they did suffer a career ending injury.

Also, more often than not the actually money means nothing to these guys. As you insinuated 20 million is plenty of security to live on a long time. In the NFL we are talking about 1700 of the biggest egos in the entire world and for a lot of guys they could careless if they make 20 mil a year or 25 mil a year, but it boils down to the 'respect' factor. What team is going to show me the respect I deserve and what prestige goes being the highest paid player. 

The guy drives a van he bought from his grandmother for 5k and stays in his parents basement with his wife in the offseason.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/22/washington-redskins-quarterback-kirk-cousins-drives-a-dented-van.html

Definetly seems like the kind of guy worried about an extra million or two.....

How am I suppose to know if he is one of those guys or not? Good for him. I don't have time to spend hours on the internet researching and stalking NFL and College Players, forgive me.

I still think he is no lock to go to San Francisco and certainly not a chance he stays in Washington IMO. I would actually say there is a better chance he would pick Cleveland than Washington and I would go as far as to say Washington is the least likely, Cleveland 2nd least likely and San Francisco 3rd least likely. I could see Jacksonville, Buffalo, Pittsburgh if Ben Roe is serious about retirement, Denver, Miami, Arizona, Minnesota and even New YorkJ as more desirable locations to play and win.

I'll say it for the millionth time, as apparently I am the bronwie man of "let's sign that punchable face" for some time now.  If Cousins hit free agency & we decided we didn't want him, I'd say fire everyone; Cousins is a better-than-average NFL passer in his prime.  It's as simple as that.  Make him the highest paid dude--for now--and keep it moving.  That said, it's a pipe dream that he would sign here.  Stranger things have happened, though, like Winona Ryder making a comeback.  It'd also be an ideal situation with our young passers to be his backups.  That's probably our best best for a happy outcome with Kizer/Kessler--get better behind a great passer & then maybe get traded for value later, a la New England.

25 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

How am I suppose to know if he is one of those guys or not? Good for him. I don't have time to spend hours on the internet researching and stalking NFL and College Players, forgive me.

I still think he is no lock to go to San Francisco and certainly not a chance he stays in Washington IMO. I would actually say there is a better chance he would pick Cleveland than Washington and I would go as far as to say Washington is the least likely, Cleveland 2nd least likely and San Francisco 3rd least likely. I could see Jacksonville, Buffalo, Pittsburgh if Ben Roe is serious about retirement, Denver, Miami, Arizona, Minnesota and even New YorkJ as more desirable locations to play and win.

So you affirm that he will take top dollar without any proof of his character, motives, etc., and then get defensive when someone shows you have no idea what you're talking about.....by claiming you don't have time to research what you're talking about?

Bruh....

In order for us to get Kirk Cousins here, we would have to sell him on Barkley running for him, Best WR FA catching for him, Best rookie WR catching for him with Coleman in the slot AND a promise that Joe Thomas is coming back AND his whole contract is guaranteed. Also there is the fact that Skins could franchise tag him. But yeah we can throw monopoly bags of cash at him. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

15 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

In order for us to get Kirk Cousins here, we would have to sell him on Barkley running for him, Best WR FA catching for him, Best rookie WR catching for him with Coleman in the slot AND a promise that Joe Thomas is coming back AND his whole contract is guaranteed. Also there is the fact that Skins could franchise tag him. But yeah we can throw monopoly bags of cash at him. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

You think the Skins tag him for a 3rd straight season?  What on earth would that cost?

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So you affirm that he will take top dollar without any proof of his character, motives, etc., and then get defensive when someone shows you have no idea what you're talking about.....by claiming you don't have time to research what you're talking about?

Bruh....

I affirm he is going to make top dollar because of his performance and position. The only thing I know of any players characters is what makes the headlines because I am not a GM and don't need to waste my time researching it. I am not a GM or scout and I am not going to try to pretend to be. I am here to have fun talking about sports like a normal fan.

Who is getting defensive?

I swear everyone on this site just wants to fight. And this time its because I claim Kirk is no lock to go to San Francisco. The last time it was because I said Barkley was the best RB prospect in a long time. Wonder what is next? Maybe I can say DeShone Kizer doesn't deserve OROY and see how many people want to call me out and fight me for that one.

I don't know everyone yet but Thomas seems like the only good guy on this entire site.

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Pray....

So you're saying throw a Hail Mary every play.

You could be on to something. I mean the percentage of completed hail mary's might actually be higher than the Browns touchdown rate.

I like this new game plan.

Archived