What to do at QB?!

hornbybrown

1 minute ago, Dogbite said:

So you're saying throw a Hail Mary every play.

You could be on to something. I mean the percentage of completed hail mary's might actually be higher than the Browns touchdown rate.

I like this new game plan.

Or get a pass interference and get the ball at the 1, now that you think about it, its not a bad strategy at all.....

22 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

I affirm he is going to make top dollar because of his performance and position. The only thing I know of any players characters is what makes the headlines because I am not a GM and don't need to waste my time researching it. I am not a GM or scout and I am not going to try to pretend to be. I am here to have fun talking about sports like a normal fan.

Who is getting defensive?

I swear everyone on this site just wants to fight. And this time its because I claim Kirk is no lock to go to San Francisco. The last time it was because I said Barkley was the best RB prospect in a long time. Wonder what is next? Maybe I can say DeShone Kizer doesn't deserve OROY and see how many people want to call me out and fight me for that one.

I don't know everyone yet but Thomas seems like the only good guy on this entire site.

If only there was a CNBC headline to read....

Everyone wants to fight or have a discussion....on a discussion board?

You made statement, I disagreed, you doubled down, I provided reference as to why you may be wrong. Isn't that how a discussion happens? 

Maybe if you had some clue what you were talking about, folks may not be so argumentative (as you see it). If you don't care to "research" something, don't, just don't be surprised when someone who has informed themselves of something before offering an opinion disagrees.

And @Thomas5737 is prolly just trying to get in your pants.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You think the Skins tag him for a 3rd straight season?  What on earth would that cost?

If a team wants him then yes. Letting your franchise QB go for nothing would be a huge hit to that team. The tag means they can get a 1st(s) for him. It would be a costly move if no one traded for them but the skins have made some seriously lulzy moves in the past. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

6 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

If a team wants him then yes. Letting your franchise QB go for nothing would be a huge hit to that team. The tag means they can get a 1st(s) for him. It would be a costly move if no one traded for them but the skins have made some seriously lulzy moves in the past. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

The tag would potentially cost them 35 million though, that's a helluva gamble IMO.

The other option would be a transition tag at 28 million.

3 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

In order for us to get Kirk Cousins here, we would have to sell him on Barkley running for him, Best WR FA catching for him, Best rookie WR catching for him with Coleman in the slot AND a promise that Joe Thomas is coming back AND his whole contract is guaranteed. Also there is the fact that Skins could franchise tag him. But yeah we can throw monopoly bags of cash at him. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

I agree with this 100%....This frees up the Texans pick and gives us a great opportunity to address an additional WR, MLB, or DB....I still want to trade a 2nd for a first next year.

2 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

That is all

Mastercheddaar

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The tag would potentially cost them 35 million though, that's a helluva gamble IMO.

The other option would be a transition tag at 28 million.

I see the Redskins having only one option, and that is to make Kurt the highest paid passer in the league.  If I am Cousins and they franchise me for $35 mil next year, I tell my agent to go take a vacation, as I would close off all negotiations with either Washington or whomever would want to trade for me; the franchise tag--and then walk in free agency the next year for even higher dollar--is too enticing of a deal.  The transition tag will just help Cousins make more money on a long-term deal with a different team, as the Redskins cannot outbid the entire league, and that is what it would take.  Imagine the level of poison pill we would see in free agency contracts aimed away at a free agent passer like Cousins.

7 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I see the Redskins having only one option, and that is to make Kurt the highest paid passer in the league.  If I am Cousins and they franchise me for $35 mil next year, I tell my agent to go take a vacation, as no long term deal will be negotiated; the franchise tag--and then walk in free agency the next year for even higher dollar--is too enticing of a deal.  The transition tag will just help Cousins make more money on a long-term deal with a different team, as the Redskins cannot outbid the entire league, and that is what it would take.  Imagine the level of poison pill we would see in free agency contracts aimed away at a free agent passer like Cousins.

I don't disagree they're in a rough spot, but wasn't the reason he didn't get a long term deal already is they wanted to see if he's actually "the real deal" and weren't sure yet?

If they tag him he's laughing all the way to the bank.  

If they don't there will be a number of teams interested and I'm just not sure making him the highest offer will be enough to get him signed. I mean honestly, why would anyone sign here with the track record this owner has produced when they can get similar money elsewhere? 

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don't disagree they're in a rough spot, but wasn't the reason he didn't get a long term deal already is they wanted to see if he's actually "the real deal" and weren't sure yet?

If they tag him he's laughing all the way to the bank.  

If they don't there will be a number of teams interested and I'm just not sure making him the highest offer will be enough to get him signed. I mean honestly, why would anyone sign here with the track record this owner has produced when they can get similar money elsewhere? 

Agreed.  Here is my arbitrary number breakdown of likelihoods:

30% Jacksonville--no state tax & a team that just needs a passer.

20% Miami--no state tax, great weather & a decent team with a solid running back/receivers, though their line could be better.  Tannehill injury-prone & still tradeable.

20% San Francisco--makes a lot of sense with his dude there.  California.  Team sucks, though.

15% Pittsburgh--if Big Ben retires, it makes too much sense.  That said, the weather sucks there and no tax break.  The team could compete for a SB year one.

5% Cleveland--would have low expectations year one, then crazy expectations year 2.  No stability for coaching in place.  No weapons.  Would get paid.

5% Washington--continuity, connection with teammates etc.

5% NYG--spotlight, lots of playmakers though lacking o-line & RB.  The team isn't as bad as it looks and has a decent defense if they fix a few things.

I don't think he'd want to go to NYJ.  I just don't see it.

16 hours ago, Dogbite said:

Cousins is not a guarantee to go to San Francisco or stay in Washington as so many claim. He is going to go to the team that gives him the contract with the most money and security. He has been playing without security for longer than any good QB I can ever remember. It will all come down to years and dollars.

While this is largely true, I think he would take slightly less to play somewhere he feels like he can succeed.    Look what Shanny meant to Matt Ryan.    49ers and Browns have by far the most cap room and between the two, it seems like an easy choice.    The Browns IMO would have to offer much more than the 49ers to land him.   There are other teams who could be in the mix, but right now, the 49ers look like the dead on favorites, because of the ties to Shanny and the money they can offer.   Vikings and Cards could be options as well, but neither will have the same money to throw around.

My bet is he either remains a Redskin OR he signs with the 49ers....with the likeliness heavily leaning towards the latter.  

Archived