GDT 9/19/21 Week 2: 0-1 Baltimore Ravens vs 1-0 Kansas City Chiefs

DreamKid

Something I was thinking about. If we had converted the two-point conversion and had a 3 point lead would we still have gone for it on 4th down? I am inclined to think we would have punted and it would have gone to OT. Maybe a blessing in disguise that the refs flagged us on our two point try.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Odafe just torched OBJ on an inside counter. 

This is the rep I was talking about last night(TS-4:07)-

That's a Safety and 2 Points for us if Mahomes doesn't have the ball out in like 1.5 seconds. Brilliant work from Odafe. F*ck you Orlando. Hope you get roasted like the fat pig you are during film review. P.S Your father was cheering for the Ravens last night, not you at LT... dope. 

Oweh is still learning how to consistently attack an NFL pass rush arc, but he already has viable counters which is so encouraging. 10+ Sacks aren't out of the question for him this season. He can win early or late and  he's a demon on plays where QBs break the pocket. Penei Sewell up next for him with the Lions next week. Lots of fun tests to start his career and he's stepping up.

10 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

On the flip side, I cannot say enough bad things about Malik Harrison and Patrick Queen. Those guys, once again against KC, looked completely lost in every phase of the game.

Feeling the LJ Fort loss. ILB is the most exploitable position on defense, for every team, so I'm not freaking out. There really isn't some magical LB in the game right now that can consistently survive against the slot mismatches and other hellish tasks the position calls for, but LJ Fort is smarter in coverage than both of them, certainly better against screens, and he allows us to rotate the unit- keeping everyone fresh. Sucks he's out for the season. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Wink decided not to send a house that wasn't working

Key point. We adjusted our defensive strategy against the Chiefs and won- despite still giving up a lot of yards and points. Which pretty much everyone does against the Chiefs.

Taking away Tyreek, trying to limit the damage Travis Kelce can do, and then forcing Mahomes to make plays through all of his other options seems like it might be the best strategy. I was starved for post game content and the PFF betting show or whatever actually touched on that. Taking away Tyreek should be step 1 in your approach against the Chiefs, and we did that. Only blitzed twice IIRC, tried to survive against Kelce(down some key defenders like Fort, Peters, Smith), and then forced Mahomes to flow his game through their other options. Damien Robinson managed to catch that long TD and Byron Pringle made his play on his TD, but those aren't easily replicable scoring scenarios. Marlon had that ball moving on Robinson, he was lucky to secure it or even be in position, and a play like Pringle made just isn't going to happen very often. Whereas Tyreek Hill can easily beat you deep for a TD every time you don't account for him. I think we definitely had the right approach, and it would've been interesting just to have Jimmy Smith back out there on Kelce. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

My Oweh jersey that I ordered from China and took a month+ to get here literally got delivered this morning.

DESTINY

If only China's slaves knew the happiness they were bringing to people all around the world. 🤐

I have a feeling Oweh's jersey is at least Top 5 in sales right now. His popularity is exploding with the flock. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Honestly I’m not seeing the terrible LB play from Patrick Queen. I felt it’s a difficult position and he did about as well as I’d expect to see a LB do against Mahomes… outside of that one terrible play where he played so far off the RB.

Harrison however, in 1v1 was certainly taken to the blender a couple occasions by Kelce, for sure- but again, that’s a difficult task for a corner, I feel that experience should only allow him to get better. But I can’t fault him there too much.

Yeah. I think Queen is getting the Averett treatment. Also I'd like to point out Patrick is still 8 months younger than Odafe. 

For what it's worth I don't think these first two weeks have been good for the evaluation of the ILB group. Wink was obviously trying to play it safe with the off-ball guys against Waller and Kelce. And safe coverage with the LB group looks ugly. 

• Like 4

Harbaugh has become such a character. 😆 You can tell how much this win meant to everyone involved. Phrase will be overused(already has been), but yes.. the monkey is officially off our back. We beat the Titans, we beat the Chiefs, Lamar has come back from double digit deficits. All of the narratives are over and all of the walls have been knocked down. This squad has every reason to believe they can accomplish whatever they want,.. because they can.

• Like 2

Finally found a twitter clip of that Odafe pass rush win against Orlando I've been talking about-

This kid just goes to another level when there's a chance at a game changing play. Lethal instant win and near Safety on the rep. Orlando got bailed out by an elite QB. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Finally found a twitter clip of that Odafe pass rush win against Orlando I've been talking about-

This kid just goes to another level when there's a chance at a game changing play. Lethal instant win and near Safety on the rep. Orlando got bailed out by an elite QB. 

Endzone Angle-

• Like 1

Waller-Kelce-Hock is quite the TE trio to start our season against. 

Might be a Bowser INT game if they try to spam the small ball game. I think we'll go for a lot of interior pressure looks in this one too. Fire Clark/Elliot/Queen up the middle and stunt our EDGE guys. Goff doesn't have the mobility or weapons that Carr & Mahomes do. Could be our first big defensive performance of the season.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 11:59 PM, DreamKid said:

Waller-Kelce-Hock is quite the TE trio to start our season against. 

Might be a Bowser INT game if they try to spam the small ball game. I think we'll go for a lot of interior pressure looks in this one too. Fire Clark/Elliot/Queen up the middle and stunt our EDGE guys. Goff doesn't have the mobility or weapons that Carr & Mahomes do. Could be our first big defensive performance of the season.

I'd also add that he doesn't have the hair-trigger release of a Carr or the ability to  reset and perform when flushed from the pocket of a Mahomes (nobody really does on the latter)

• Like 1

Finally watched the broadcast of the game (was at the stadium Sunday night), and man, I get that we have to rush him to keep his “is he dropping or rushing?” versatility in tact, but my word does Tyus Bowser get stonewalled on every pass rush rep haha. Like at this point rushing him as a part of a 4 man run is like the same thing as rushing 3 guys...just nothing going at all in that aspect for the guy. 

Again, I get it helps you with disguises, but every play he isn’t in coverage and rushing the passer is a net negative for this defense.

24 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Finally watched the broadcast of the game (was at the stadium Sunday night), and man, I get that we have to rush him to keep his “is he dropping or rushing?” versatility in tact, but my word does Tyus Bowser get stonewalled on every pass rush rep haha. Like at this point rushing him as a part of a 4 man run is like the same thing as rushing 3 guys...just nothing going at all in that aspect for the guy. 

Again, I get it helps you with disguises, but every play he isn’t in coverage and rushing the passer is a net negative for this defense.

with how little he offers as a rusher, i wonder why we haven't experimented with just moving him to ILB at this point.

• Like 1