The Taylor Heinecke Thread

lavar703

On 9/30/2021 at 12:02 AM, Woz said:

Quite a few guys have shown you can have a long career in the NFL like that, if you're willing to move/switch teams every year.

I think as long as Scotty T is here Heinicke is here. Heinicke probably won’t be our long term starter but I think he’ll be our back up for the rest of his career. 

My thing is Rivera going to let Scotty continue to have so much control over who the QBs are (Heinicke & Allen) or will Rivera finally make the decision that we need to draft someone to unseat Kyle Allen next draft or through a trade/FA.

I really wanted to see an open competition this last offseason between Heinicke, Allen and a rookie we had drafted since Stafford didn’t want to come here. I really hope we see that next off-season.

44 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

8 TDs in 3 starts is not too shabby. 

He’s solid! Not a franchise QB, but a solid QB w/ great off schedule ability. I hope he’s at worst our #2 QB for the next decade plus.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Just now, turtle28 said:

I have no idea what you’re trying to say.

Sorry. He can be in the league for 15 yers and never win a Playoff game . He's a perfect back up. Hope I'm wrong and he's a perfect Starter .  He's been so damn lucky-- so far. Talk about a GunSlinger . I need a GIF of him in chaps and boots and cowboy hat w/ a six shooter on his hip. 

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

Sorry. He can be in the league for 15 yers and never win a Playoff game . He's a perfect back up. Hope I'm wrong and he's a perfect Starter .  He's been so damn lucky-- so far. Talk about a GunSlinger . I need a GIF of him in chaps and boots and cowboy hat w/ a six shooter on his hip. 

Oh, you’re saying Heinicke could be Fitz? I thought you were still on Chase trip, my bad.

Yeah, I think Heinicke could be like Fitz or I think he’s more like McCoy, he plays like McCoy. He has that competitiveness, moxy, athletic ability but he doesn’t have a great arm which will always hold him back.

I hope he’s our back up for the rest of his career at the worst. 

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Oh, you’re saying Heinicke could be Fitz? I thought you were still on Chase trip, my bad.

Yeah, I think Heinicke could be like Fitz or I think he’s more like McCoy, he plays like McCoy. He has that competitiveness, moxy, athletic ability but he doesn’t have a great arm which will always hold him back.

I hope he’s our back up for the rest of his career at the worst. 

McCoy never played like this for any extended period time in the NFL. Heinecke is Heinecke. I’m tired of the silly comparisons to Fitz as well. I genuinely have no idea how good he actually is but if he continues playing like this it might be time to just accept the fact we found a good QB by pure dumb luck. And it could just be me getting overly excited but this is the first time since 2012 that I feel like the QB stepping on the field gives us a real chance to win. Everyone here knows how pessimistic I am but there’s something to Heinecke. If it keeps happening week after week we as a fan base are going to have to stop coming up with excuses for why he's good. That will just be the case and we just lucked out. It’s rare but it happens. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think Heinicke is a good bit better than McCoy.  He sees the field better (McCoy had a tendency to stare down his number one option) and is more accurate.   He's never going to be elite, but he can definitely be above average with the ability to perform in the clutch (the anti-Cousins).  Is that enough?  I don't know.  Today's NFL is more QB driven than ever, but I think there's still a pathway for solid QB + elite defense to win it all. 

Right now Heinicke is being asked to carry an atrocious defense and, as we saw against the Bills, that's clearly beyond his limits.  If the defense turns around, Taylor won't have to press so much.

So in his 3 starts, between rushing and passing he’s accounted for 8 TDs, 900 yards and only 3 turnovers. Two of which came against the Bills who might be the best team in football. He’s also completing nearly 70% of his passes and has only had one game under a 99 passer rating. Numbers might not mean much but dude is balling. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

McCoy never played like this for any extended period time in the NFL. Heinecke is Heinecke. I’m tired of the silly comparisons to Fitz as well. I genuinely have no idea how good he actually is but if he continues playing like this it might be time to just accept the fact we found a good QB by pure dumb luck. And it could just be me getting overly excited but this is the first time since 2012 that I feel like the QB stepping on the field gives us a real chance to win. Everyone here knows how pessimistic I am but there’s something to Heinecke. If it keeps happening week after week we as a fan base are going to have to stop coming up with excuses for why he's good. That will just be the case and we just lucked out. It’s rare but it happens. 

McCoy didn’t because he was stuck behind Kirk Cousins who never got hurt from 2015-2017. Then, when McCoy got his chance in 2018 he broke his leg two games after Alex Smith and then he wasn’t healthy enough to give Keenum a true competition in the offseason in 2019.

Colt McCoy played in 4.5 games in 2014 and he was 71% for 1057 yards 4 TDs & 3 ints. 

It’s not exactly the same, but I think they’re pretty similar.

Edited by turtle28

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

McCoy didn’t because he was stuck behind Kirk Cousins who never got hurt from 2015-2017. Then, when McCoy got his chance in 2018 he broke his leg two games after Alex Smith and then he wasn’t healthy enough to give Keenum a true competition in the offseason in 2019.

Colt McCoy played in 4.5 games in 2014 and he was 71% for 1057 yards 4 TDs & 3 ints. 

It’s not exactly the same, but I think they’re pretty similar.

Heineke has better numbers than that in three games. I’m just going to enjoy this Heinecke stuff until it stops. 

• Like 1