So how do you fix the defense?

25 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I would say the terrible LB corp is the reason why this defense sucks. If you’re going to run a nickel set 90% of the time then Bostic cannot be one of the two LBs out there. Holcomb is good. Davis is basically nothing right now and we have no idea what Hudson is because they won’t play him. I still cannot believe McKinney hasn’t been signed yet. 

Rivera’s fatal flaw is his belief in “his” guys, both players and coaches.  

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I would say the terrible LB corp is the reason why this defense sucks. If you’re going to run a nickel set 90% of the time then Bostic cannot be one of the two LBs out there. Holcomb is good. Davis is basically nothing right now and we have no idea what Hudson is because they won’t play him. I still cannot believe McKinney hasn’t been signed yet. 

From what I saw in the second half of the Giants game, Jamin Davis looked good in coverage vs Barkley & in the short zone. It seemed obvious to me after seeing that that if they aren’t going to do what I want them to do - have Collins play nickel LB - then Davis needs to be playing those snaps, he’s better in that role then them having him as a 2 down run stuffer which isn’t what he is & he’ll never be it. He’s athletic coverage & chase LB, not a thumper.

2022 NFL LBs for people to scout:

1. Christian Harris, WLB, Alabama

2. Nolan Smith, SLB, Georgia 

3. Nakobe Dean, WLB, Georgia

4. DeMarvion Overshown, WLB, Texas

5. Terrell Bernard, WLB, Baylor

6. James Saskil, MLB, Clemson

7. Ventrell Miller, MLB, Florida

8. Brandon Smith, WLB, Penn State

9. Zakoby McCain, WLB, Auburn

10. Payton Wilson, SLB, NC State

11. Ellis Brooks, MLB, Penn State

12. Henry To’oto’o, MLB, Alabama 

13. Owen Pappoe, MLB, Auburn 

14. Mike Rose, MLB, Iowa State

15. Merlin Robertson, SLB, Arizona St.

16. Edefuan Ulofoshio, MLB, Washington 

17. Jack Sanborn, MLB, Wisconsin 

18. Cade McDonald, SLB, San Diego St.

19. Nate Landman, MLB, Colorado

20. Avery Roberts, MLB, Oregon State

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I love the 3 DT look on run downs w/ Allen & Ioannidis playing 3-4 DE, Payne playing NT, Chase & Montez as stand up pass rushers, Holcomb at MLB & Collins playing like a true  SS & very close to an off ball WLB! Love this look for first downs vs run heavy teams!

I asked Mark Bullock & he said he thinks we ran this defensive look on 2nd & 8.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

A lot has been made of the defensive struggles, and where there is smoke there is fire.  We allowed 424 yards of offense to the Chargers, and 391 to the Giants.  After re-watching the games, here are three things I think we have to do to get a better performance out of this unit:  

1.) Bench Jon Bostic.  It seems like everyone knows that except Del Rio and Rivera.  Yes, he can QB the defense, but the Giants immediately went after Bostic on Thursday.  We can not defend RBs and TE out of the backfield, and will struggle to apply a spy to a mobile QB because Bostic is on the field.  

At this point, I’d argue replacing him with Jamin Davis causes us to lose nothing.  What we might lose in knowledge of the defense and veteran poise, we can with athleticism to help cover RB/TE and mobile QBs.  Bostic is going to struggle regardless, Davis might struggle but his athleticism will keep him in those battles.  

2.) Switch safeties around.  Right now, we have two strong safeties on the field in Landon Collins and Kamren Curl.  Collins is still terrible in coverage, and I move him to the bench.  Curl, who is a much better strong safety when he doesn’t have to worry about deep coverage, moves there, and Bobby McCain takes over at free safety.  

We can’t put Collins at LB right now, because I don’t think you make that move without an off-season of preparation, but not being able to cover the middle of the field with a competent MLB and FS/SS combination is really hurting this defense right now and we will continue to struggle against the quick pass.   However, like Bostic, Rivera and Del Rio are fans of veteran players and will hold off as long as possible before benching him.  

Kendall Fuller has struggled in the slot this year, and if I recall, some of those struggles were present last year at times.  Fuller is also a candidate to move to FS as well.  

3.) We need to blitz more.  We have a great defensive line, and all of those guys can win in one on one situations.  However, there are times when we are not getting the needed push.  I am not advocating for us to blitz all of the time, but we have to be strategic.  No matter how good the coverage is, eventually things will break down, even if the opposing offense is keeping in other offensive players to scheme more protection.  We have athletes at all levels, and need to use them to bring creative pressure.

Agree with all of this. Sometimes I really wish we had Gregg Williams back as our D coordinator. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I love the 3 DT look on run downs w/ Allen & Ioannidis playing 3-4 DE, Payne playing NT, Chase & Montez as stand up pass rushers, Holcomb at MLB & Collins playing like a true  SS & very close to an off ball WLB! Love this look for first downs vs run heavy teams!

People who don't look too closely at the play will laugh about Chase getting push out to the side at the tightend. 

But if you look closer he was already disengaging to seal the edge and force Saquon back inside. So the TE got a good shove on him. That's one of those things he does that doesn't show up in the statline but makes a great impact on the defense.

• Like 2

I do think the defense starts to play better and then comes on as an elite group about midway through the season. There’s just far too much talent on the front and in the secondary to continue like this. I suspect Sweat and Young start dominating as well. I just don’t think the poor play will continue. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Play this guy over Bostic in the nickel D!

Oh come on lol. I watched several plays where he just looked totally lost and the play went by him. One play he ran right into the line and just got stuck there behind the DT. I’m all for having a stud MLB but there is absolutely no way he was the best defender on the field when Allen was basically destroying every play. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1
45 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Oh come on lol. I watched several plays where he just looked totally lost and the play went by him. One play he ran right into the line and just got stuck there behind the DT. I’m all for having a stud MLB but there is absolutely no way he was the best defender on the field when Allen was basically destroying every play. 

Yep, also I agree and I’ll continue to say that either Holcomb or Bostic should be playing MLB w/ Bostic off the field in the nickel & Jamin Davis should just play WLB for his rookie year while he learns the defense and adjusts to the NFL. I think they’re putting too much on his plate, he’s overthinking out there and not just playing free and running around to the ball.

On 9/18/2021 at 6:19 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

they love guys like Bostic who can stick to their assignments, even if they are a weakness there athletically.  

Bostic absolutely does stick to his assignments.  You could see him trailing only a few yards behind Sterling Shepard =P

• Like 1
1 hour ago, noptov52 said:

Bostic absolutely does stick to his assignments.  You could see him trailing only a few yards behind Sterling Shepard =P

Yeah, Bostic is a traditional old school thumper. In today’s NFL, he’s a 1 down LB. On 2nd down, he needs to come off the field or be off the field every time teams have 3 WR on the field bc that’s not working, obviously.

How coaches can’t see that or didn’t know that was going to be a disaster before the season began or last March/April, is beyond me!

Edited by turtle28

I think this a Rivera issue as much as a Del Rio thing.  The obsession with position flex is leading him to play players at positions they can play but aren't best suited for.  Simplify until they get things right, then add the complications back in.

• Like 1