So how do you fix the defense?

naptownskinsfan

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I'd run a Nickel Defense every play...lol j/k

But in our Nickel, it should consist of 

Up front: Sweat, Chase, Payne/Ionitus & Allen.

LBers: Jamin Davis & Landon Collins

CB: Fuller, St. Juice, Williams

S: Curl & Reeves or Everett

Reaves isn’t on the active roster - he’s on the practice squad - and at this point I think it’s smarter to have Holcomb as our MLB calling the plays, he knows the defense a lot better then Jamin Davis.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/podcasts/washington-football-team-nfl-wft-montez-sweat-defense-buffalo-bills-week-3

There’s a podcast you can listen to attached to this article:

‘If the Washington Football Team wishes to pull off a big upset against the Buffalo Bills this weekend, defensive end Montez Sweat will need to have a big game.

The third-year defensive end from Mississippi State has a sack in each of the first two games this season, and he'll look to continue that streak facing Bills' quarterback Josh Allen.

Sweat is part of a dynamic front seven with threats all across the line including Chase Young and Jonathan Allen. Sweat makes the most of his opportunities and fulfills his role well, making him a necessary part of WFT's formidable defense.

If Sweat continues along this trajectory, he could cement himself among some elite company as one of the best pass-rushers in Washington history. He may not get as much attention or praise as some of his teammates, but it does not take away the value he brings.”

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

So...through 3 games this is where our defense is (rank):

YPG = 432  (31st)

YPG Passing = 307 (29th)

YPG Rushing = 125  (26th)

PPG = 30.7 (29th)

Sacks =   6  (15th)

INT = 1 (20th)

TO = 2 (22nd)

3rd down % = 58.7 (31st)

What in the Jim Zorn is going on????

We don’t do stunts and we rarely get exciting with LB’s blitzing. And when we do it’s Cole. Use Davis and his speed up the gut when you open a hole with a stunt with your DT and DE. We arent creative enough. We need to press the line we have CB’s that all excel there. We’re giving 10 yards and going deep zones. It’s bad.

Also Hudson and Toney can do these things. Hudson at Michigan was great going outside in from the backer spot to get sacks. Me just come at teams. We don’t get crative. Play press and try to jump routes knowing your teams blitzing. Bostic is slow and Davis at Kentucky showed he can shed a block better then I’ve seen Cole on blitzes. We just don’t let the youth play early. Humphries barely makes plays. Let Dax try. 

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 2

In 2020 we ranked 2nd in red zone defense and seventh in 3rd down defense but we had a soft schedule last yr.  This yr we rank 31 in 3rd down defense and I beleive some of that has to do with the strength of schedule. So our defense is played the 5th easiest schedul in 2020 and if you look ay the QB's we faced in  2020 are really subpar material. Rivera also mentioned the team went over their mistakes from the first two meetings. Nevertheless the Defense continue to repeat the pryor mistakes again yesterday vs the Bills. Thats troubling when you repeat offenders lol. The Falcons are bad team and if we lose to the Falcons which highly possible given the current state of our defense, I will really be concerned about the mental health of many of us next week including me also  LOL. 

Edited by 4209
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, 4209 said:

In 2020 we ranked 2nd in red zone defense and seventh in 3rd down defense but we had a soft schedule last yr.  This yr we rank 31 in 3rd down defense and I beleive some of that has to do with the strength of schedule. So our defense is played the 5th easiest schedul in 2020 and if you look ay the QB's we faced in  2020 are really subpar material. Rivera also mentioned the team went over their mistakes from the first two meetings. Nevertheless the Defense continue to repeat the pryor mistakes again yesterday vs the Bills. Thats troubling when you repeat offenders lol. The Falcons are bad team and if we lose to the Falcons which highly possible given the current state of our defense, I will really be concerned about the mental health of many of us next week including me also  LOL. 

The competition has nothing to do with it. Daniel Jones is awful. He’s literally one of the worst QBs in football when he’s not playing us. There’s WRs just running wide open the moment the ball is snapped. Nobody is being covered. This is a scheme issue. Also, going into this season with this absolutely dreadful LB corp is inexcusable. Davis might end up being good and Holcomb has the ability to be good but you simply cannot have Bostic and Holcomb out there all game long and not expect what’s happening to happen. 

Put Khaleke Hudson out there. Bring Foster back. Sign McKinney or Kendricks. For the love of god do something at LB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

The competition has nothing to do with it. Daniel Jones is awful. He’s literally one of the worst QBs in football when he’s not playing us. There’s WRs just running wide open the moment the ball is snapped. Nobody is being covered. This is a scheme issue. Also, going into this season with this absolutely dreadful LB corp is inexcusable. Davis might end up being good and Holcomb has the ability to be good but you simply cannot have Bostic and Holcomb out there all game long and not expect what’s happening to happen. 

Put Khaleke Hudson out there. Bring Foster back. Sign McKinney or Kendricks. For the love of god do something at LB. 

No one is covered and even these plays where we have screens and short routes are not being sniffed out by the DBs.

I'll mention it again, it was a mistake...yes a mistake...to release Moreland. Check out the videos here. This is what he brought to stop the things we seem to not be able to stop this year. This coaching staff is letting guys go who they should've kept and vice versa.

https://prosportsoutlook.com/future-outlook-jimmy-moreland-can-become-a-premier-nfl-slot-cb/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lavar703 said:

it’s not the only reason but the quality of QB we’ve played is better this year vs the 2nd have of last year save Russell Wilson.  

You want an example? We gave up near 60% conversion rate on 3rd downs vs the Chargers (Herbert) and Bills (Allen). Against the Giants, we held them to 33%.

Daniel Jones beat us with his legs as much as his arm.