Hot take? (Herbert....)

BigTrav

Will be considered in the top 3 QBs after this regular season. So it will go 1. Mahomes, 2. One of the usuals, Rodgers/Brady/Wilson, 3. Herbert

Maybe that's not a hot take, but he's generally considered fringe top 10 when I look at these lists people do in NFL Comp. 

That first game was pretty much flawless. He throws the ball like Zeus throwing thunder bolts. He's taking his excellent rookie season up another few notches, and will be considered elite by December. 

And it's not normally my thing being nice to a division rival.

• Like 2

Not impossible....but not extremely likely either, IMO.

I think he will very likely be top 7...but there is alot of season to go, and several QBs have looked damn good, and other QBs will bounce back.    

Aside from the usual top QBs, Herbert, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Josh Allen, Dak Prescott and Baker Mayfield will all be trying to push their way up the rankings.    Then you have other guys like Stafford (who could finally jump into the top 5 with the Rams) and Jameis Winston (unlikely, but under Sean Peyton could be a legit franchise QB).

I dont think Hebert will overtake Brady or Wilson....so that would round out the top 3.     Rodgers should bounce back, but he could slip down a bit like he did a few years ago.

I think the end of season QB rankings will look something like...

1. Mahomes
2. Brady
3. Wilson
4. Murray (I think he takes a big step forward this year)
5. Allen
6. Rodgers
7. Hebert
8. Jackson (could be higher, but I think the Ravens injuries will affect his play)
9. Prescott
10. Stafford
HM . Mayfield

Then youll have some other players in the mix to round out the top 10.  

After the top 3, I think alot of different things could happen, though.

5 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Will be considered in the top 3 QBs after this regular season. So it will go 1. Mahomes, 2. One of the usuals, Rodgers/Brady/Wilson, 3. Herbert

Maybe that's not a hot take, but he's generally considered fringe top 10 when I look at these lists people do in NFL Comp. 

How is your take that he will be a top 3 QB at the end of the season when you are also predicting it will be one of 3 other QBs to be considered #2?

Edited by iknowcool

Regarding the 'old guard': Brady and Wilson are really overrated. Not in the sense that they are bad QBs. But people put them in a tier above their play level. 

• I say this fully acknowledging Brady has had the greatest NFL career ever played. I dont hate Brady, at all. 
  • Wilson has been significantly worse by the end of each of the last 3 years. He starts off Patrick Mahomes and he ends up Jared Goff. 

Mahomes + Rodgers are tier 1. 

Brady, Wilson, Allen, Dak, etc are all tier 2. Herbert is likely tier 2. Meaning you can put him anywhere from #3 to about #7 interchangeably. 

Edited by Matts4313

On 9/19/2021 at 2:22 AM, BigTrav said:

Will be considered in the top 3 QBs after this regular season. 

I like Herbert a lot but I don't think he makes that big of a leap this season. He has put up volume yardage so far this season but they've struggled to finish drives with points. And when you look back at his rookie season his 7 best performances came in losses or against bad teams (Chiefs backups, Jags, Broncos, Jets). 

I like Herbert quite a lot, unfortunately, but he needs to pick things up in a crazy dramatic way statistically if he's going to leap that high up in the rankings this year. Like, I would probably take him 2nd behind Mahomes in a fantasy draft type scenario, I'm that high on what he's done so far, but most of the guys ahead of him in a current ranking are like, recent MVPs or MVP candidates. As good as he looked last year, he was still easily outclassed by Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Allen, Watson, Wilson, and even Tannehill. Lamar still has 2019 to keep him ahead. Add in that he's fighting against Mayfield, Carr, Murray, and Stafford who all are performing dramatically better so far this year. Even Prescott is back and looking legit again.

Again, I think very highly of Herbert. Wouldn't surprise me to see him be the best QB the Chargers have ever had, in the end. But he needs such a dramatic change in trajectory on this season to get that high. He needs to be showing up like 2018 Mahomes, 2019 Jackson, 2020 Allen, to elevate that high this year, and he is not off to that kind of start at all.

20 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Again, I think very highly of Herbert. Wouldn't surprise me to see him be the best QB the Chargers have ever had, in the end. But he needs such a dramatic change in trajectory on this season to get that high. He needs to be showing up like 2018 Mahomes, 2019 Jackson, 2020 Allen, to elevate that high this year, and he is not off to that kind of start at all.

This week at Kansas City will be a huge test for Herbert, if he plays well and the team wins it will change the trajectory of their season. But if the offense struggles to put up points again and they lose, it's not a great look to start the year. 

On 9/19/2021 at 10:32 PM, Bearerofnews said:

He had a brutal int in the redzone. But honestly past 2 weeks, he has only had like 4 bad throws out of 88 attempts. But this Lombardi offense is starting to worry me. I miss the 50 yd bombs. Hopefully they make an appearance. 

Bruh, he should have easily had 4 INTs in the Cowboys game alone. Thats not counting all bad passes.

Tone down the homerism. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Bruh, he should have easily had 4 INTs in the Cowboys game alone. Thats not counting all bad passes.

Tone down the homerism. 

4 was maybe an exaggeration, but im not far off.

This it with consideration to the high level throws Herbert is making to boot. Also that Cook int, was because Kearse hooked his outside hip. Not sure where you are getting the 4th near int from?