Hot take? (Herbert....)

BigTrav

12 hours ago, NYRaider said:

1 TD/2 INT in two games when the offense scores a total of 37 points is doing his job? He put up volume yardage but they've been shut down wen they have to score. 

I mean week 1 he had 2 dropped tds and week 2 he had 2 more called back.

This is one of the more complicated QB systems and it's a new system, new coaching and the starters didn't play any preseason. Rust was expected, with some bad luck and very iffy officiating.. the box score stats are down.

The film is off the page. He looks considerably better than last year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

I mean week 1 he had 2 dropped tds and week 2 he had 2 more called back.

This is one of the more complicated QB systems and it's a new system, new coaching and the starters didn't play any preseason. Rust was expected, with some bad luck and very iffy officiating.. the box score stats are down.

The film is off the page. He looks considerably better than last year.

I think he got unlucky once in the Washington game and unlucky again a few times in the recent game, and stats would looks better but for a couple crucial flags, but he still looks amazing. 

• Like 1

What I like about Herbert is that he has the ability to do similar crazy off platform plays like Mahomes or Allen. But instead of relying it on constantly to bail him out, Staley and Lombardi are trying to make him become a better pocket passer and play within structure as much as possible, and it’s paying dividends so far. The guy is also getting better at reading coverages and changing plays for better matchups as evidenced by his audible for the go ahead TD to Mike Williams. Now he just needs to have better situational awareness since they scored too fast at the end. But it would be crazy if he ended similar to Brees in the mental processing department and pocket awareness, only you know with the freakish physical talents.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 2

Nfl Draft GIF by Bose

I've thought since half-way through last season that he was held back by his coaches even though he was rookie of the season. If you go back, they would get into the RZ on the back of his passing, primarily, but then they'd take the ball out his hands and get all conservative. You saw the weekend just gone what happens if you keep letting Herbert sizzle even down there in the RZ - they beat the Chiefs at home with Justin looking crazy good (yes yes, +4 on turnovers is huge).

This is probably the reason they lost so many close games; it wasn't the lack of offense or not moving the ball, they could do this with Justin. It was the sharting of the bed in key scoring areas. Taking the ball out of Justin's hands. I bet Staley knows this, and this is why they done nothing but kept on being aggressive at the end of the 4th Q needing a score. Profit

Is that how you'd see it @Xenos @Bearerofnews ? 

So we are only a year and 3 games in, he's ROTY and the reason why a good team wins games. He's got the arm, the accuracy, the pocket awareness, the wheels if needed, the throw on run, he's got pre-snap to a decent degree, his post-snap reading is great, notice how he high-ends the ball to his receivers giving the DBs no chance. I don't know about the run game, but they seem to break off big chunk plays on the ground probably because they're back trying not to let JH destroy them....

So you know what, @BigTrav....

HOT TAKE: ACCEPTED

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Nfl Draft GIF by Bose

I've thought since half-way through last season that he was held back by his coaches even though he was rookie of the season. If you go back, they would get into the RZ on the back of his passing, primarily, but then they'd take the ball out his hands and get all conservative. You saw the weekend just gone what happens if you keep letting Herbert sizzle even down there in the RZ - they beat the Chiefs at home with Justin looking crazy good (yes yes, +4 on turnovers is huge).

This is probably the reason they lost so many close games; it wasn't the lack of offense or not moving the ball, they could do this with Justin. It was the sharting of the bed in key scoring areas. Taking the ball out of Justin's hands. I bet Staley knows this, and this is why they done nothing but kept on being aggressive at the end of the 4th Q needing a score. Profit

Is that how you'd see it @Xenos @Bearerofnews ? 

So we are only a year and 3 games in, he's ROTY and the reason why a good team wins games. He's got the arm, the accuracy, the pocket awareness, the wheels if needed, the throw on run, he's got pre-snap to a decent degree, his post-snap reading is great, notice how he high-ends the ball to his receivers giving the DBs no chance. I don't know about the run game, but they seem to break off big chunk plays on the ground probably because they're back trying not to let JH destroy them....

So you know what, @BigTrav....

HOT TAKE: ACCEPTED

All this is true. Was true in the Washington game to. Last year they would force the runs, get conservative and would of punted with 3 mins left and probably lost. The new coaches are putting the game on Herbert's arm and being aggressive. They do need to call more 3rd down plays and stretch the field more on early downs.

I also want Herbert to use his athleticism more and run for yds. So that he keeps defenses more honest. But man the way his passes explode and carry through the wind, is like something ive never seen. 

He still has things to work on. He tends to sometimes stare down his target (which I'm noticing alot of qbs are doing lately) he needs to do more convincing job selling the play action.

As for the 4 turnovers.. it's payback for KC BARELY beating Chargers 2019 in Mexico with Rivers having 4 ints. 

Herbert's best throw vs KC was like a 57 yd dart, that ripped through the swirly winds, hit Guyton square in the hands and he dropped the td. 

I was never a fan of QBs running. But seeing how Mahomes, Wilson and Rodgers use it and Rivers never being able to... i want to see Herbert use it more. 

38 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

All this is true. Was true in the Washington game to. Last year they would force the runs, get conservative and would of punted with 3 mins left and probably lost. The new coaches are putting the game on Herbert's arm and being aggressive. They do need to call more 3rd down plays and stretch the field more on early downs.

I also want Herbert to use his athleticism more and run for yds. So that he keeps defenses more honest. But man the way his passes explode and carry through the wind, is like something ive never seen. 

He still has things to work on. He tends to sometimes stare down his target (which I'm noticing alot of qbs are doing lately) he needs to do more convincing job selling the play action.

As for the 4 turnovers.. it's payback for KC BARELY beating Chargers 2019 in Mexico with Rivers having 4 ints. 

Herbert's best throw vs KC was like a 57 yd dart, that ripped through the swirly winds, hit Guyton square in the hands and he dropped the td. 

I was never a fan of QBs running. But seeing how Mahomes, Wilson and Rodgers use it and Rivers never being able to... i want to see Herbert use it more. 

I only want to see Herbert run if it’s near the end zone. Otherwise the less the better. QBs like Mahomes, Wilson, and Rodgers look great running until they get plastered and beat up.

It's good to see that Herbert is working on his pocket awareness and so on. Moving outside the pocket and trying to make plays can have benefits but shouldn't happen very often if he wants to stay healthy. You don't really need to run your QB to keep defenses honest, only leads to injuries.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I only want to see Herbert run if it’s near the end zone. Otherwise the less the better. QBs like Mahomes, Wilson, and Rodgers look great running until they get plastered and beat up.

I think he is big, athletic and fast enough to use it on 3rd downs to. Doesn’t need to take big hits, but use it when the opportunity is there more.

48 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

It's good to see that Herbert is working on his pocket awareness and so on. Moving outside the pocket and trying to make plays can have benefits but shouldn't happen very often if he wants to stay healthy. You don't really need to run your QB to keep defenses honest, only leads to injuries.

Ufc 205 Thank You GIF by UFC