Week 02 2021 - GDT - Saints (1-0) @ Panthers (1-0)

Mid Iowa

15 hours ago, SWATcha said:

Kind of typical though. Seems every time the Saints come out of their shoes and blow someone out, they inevitably lay an egg the next week. 

Just watched the highlights. Gross. 

This is why we wont win a superbowl any time soon.  Not that superbowl teams cant get blown out, but for us its multiple times a year showing up looking like the worst team in the NFL.  And its not just one player laying an egge, its all across the board laying an egg.  Oline especially lays eggs constantly.

Obviously wasn't a good showing, but it was only 1 week. I'm not ready to make conclusions about this team one way or another just yet. This has been a very unorthodox start to the year for the Saints with the hurricane impacting all the players in a variety of ways, starting a new chapter at QB for the first time in 15 years, dealing with a significant COVID outbreak this past week, and to top it all off having a ton of injuries to key players.

Just to reiterate the injury aspect of it. 

We were missing:

Erik McCoy

Michael Thomas

Marshon Lattimore

CJ Gardner-Johnson

Kwon Alexander

Marcus Davenport

That's 6 players that see significant snaps for us when healthy with several of them being pro bowl caliber players. Hopefully we start getting some of these guys back on the field soon. 

The team simply didn't play good enough this past week, but in no way do I think that what we saw on the field will resemble what this team is capable of going forward. The offensive line play seemed to be a huge outlier, and given the guys we have on the offensive line, I fully expect them to bounce back this week. 

• Like 1

I usually would fault Winston on some of those decisions, but our OL was straight up garbage yesterday. He had to try and make some plays as we simply couldn't run the ball and rarely had time to let routes develop on pass plays without pressure on Winston. Will be curious to see how he does when our OL rebounds and plays to their usual level.

21 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I usually would fault Winston on some of those decisions, but our OL was straight up garbage yesterday. He had to try and make some plays as we simply couldn't run the ball and rarely had time to let routes develop on pass plays without pressure on Winston. Will be curious to see how he does when our OL rebounds and plays to their usual level.

I agree. He got pressured a lot...BUT I think both INTs were a result of him wanting to scramble and then hesitating and panicking. Both times he had green in front of him.

On 9/19/2021 at 10:46 PM, Dome said:

We saw our ceiling last week, this week was our floor. 

We'll get healthy and get our coaches back, but almost everyone sucked today.

I'm quoting your first, and last. The meat in the middle is spot on.

You can never blame a secondary as green as ours, under a new coach, for their performance. Frankly, to keep the scoring as "low" as it was, considering the Panthers offense, was not a loss, really. And I damn sure bet ya, there'll be a pride issue to contend with this coming Sunday. This defense is (or should be) pissed.

To your point about the O-line. Boys better step up and get back to being men. That's a damn good QB that was just thrown to the wolves, and that's unacceptable. Jameis was accurate (yeah, a few bonehead throw) and deserves better.

Thanks for your contribution, Dome.

BTW, did I see the dome on fire today? What the.....?

10 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

I'm quoting your first, and last. The meat in the middle is spot on.

You can never blame a secondary as green as ours, under a new coach, for their performance. Frankly, to keep the scoring as "low" as it was, considering the Panthers offense, was not a loss, really. And I damn sure bet ya, there'll be a pride issue to contend with this coming Sunday. This defense is (or should be) pissed.

To your point about the O-line. Boys better step up and get back to being men. That's a damn good QB that was just thrown to the wolves, and that's unacceptable. Jameis was accurate (yeah, a few bonehead throw) and deserves better.

Thanks for your contribution, Dome.

BTW, did I see the dome on fire today? What the.....?

@Dome tried thinking too hard... no big deal :D

Honestly I think Jameis has looked a little skittish in the pocket were before he was more confident and willing to make throws, I think he's still a little uncomfortable with the safer system that Payton wants to run as he's missed a few open throws going for the safest planned options instead.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Raves said:

@Dome tried thinking too hard... no big deal :D

Honestly I think Jameis has looked a little skittish in the pocket were before he was more confident and willing to make throws, I think he's still a little uncomfortable with the safer system that Payton wants to run as he's missed a few open throws going for the safest planned options instead.

No doubt that there'll be great film for him to study. I'd rather have a game like this now, for sure.

1 minute ago, Mid Iowa said:

No doubt that there'll be great film for him to study. I'd rather have a game like this now, for sure.

He was the same way in the Packers game, the only difference was that the running game and OL were dominant enough that it wasn't an issue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Just curious, how did the Saints completely shut down the Packers? I didn't get to watch much of the game but it seemed like a complete beat down by the Saints.

They weren't missing 4 defensive starters, starting center, and like 9 assistant coaches.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raves said:

They weren't missing 4 defensive starters, starting center, and like 9 assistant coaches.

Yeah, there's no playbook for that.
On top of it, because there was a Covid "outbreak" the entire team had to eat pre-packaged meals, and everything was just wonky. And being away from home for their 4th week in a row... I hate excuses, but we've got plenty from which to choose.

1 minute ago, Mid Iowa said:

Yeah, there's no playbook for that.
On top of it, because there was a Covid "outbreak" the entire team had to eat pre-packaged meals, and everything was just wonky. And being away from home for their 4th week in a row... I hate excuses, but we've got plenty from which to choose.

There's excuses and then there's context.  The Panthers deserved to win because regardless of context they came out and executed.  But due to context I wouldn't take the Panther's game as a sign of the Saints true strength.

• Like 2